1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactical Strike Race Fuel Actualized

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Dec 31, 2011.

?

What to do with the finished fuel?

1. A. Run it in my first 2012 race so everyone can smell the bacon.

34.0%
  2. B. Give it to K-Mo for inventing the "Tactical Strike" name.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C. Take it to Lee's and dyno it vs. fuel of beeb's choice.

66.0%
  4. D. Post your own idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I can’t stand the VP perfume. It gets in and on everything. My buddy's toy hauler and its entire contents smell like the stuff simply from hauling it in the cargo hold. I made him leave his duffle bag in my garage once when he came over so that my house was not contaminated with the smell. It just cant be healthy breathing that, especially knowing that there is lead in the fuel.

As for your hard on caused by the fuel aroma, maybe it is displaced agression.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lea...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I'd give it a shot. I ran the standard BioWeapon fuel quite a few times and it was great. The bike ran cooler. When I pulled my head for a freshen up mid season, I could read the damn engraving on the pistons....thats how clean they were. Good stuff. I trust chickens...can I trust the swines? lol

3. Exactly.

And that is pure fucking WIN.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Between this, steroids, and breathing emanations from oil wells for stretches of three or four weeks at a time, some shit is starting to make sense.

5. bodell

So the final pre reaction cleaning is finished.

I let the jars sit upside down for 3 days, then put them in the freezer for an hour. When they came out I took the lids off and scraped off the bottom layer until I hit clean, white fat. This removes much of the water, salt, and other particles that are small enough to pass thru a coffee filter.

The photo shows the before and after.

Next step is the first reaction. I will get to that tomorrow evening. Photos to follow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

this is really cool. hey....quick question.....can bioweapon be used in vintage bikes? in my stocker 1969 cb350? id really like to try it if it will work. i mean.....i see no reason why it wouldnt. but its about the right octane.

7. bodell

I have run it in everything from my leaf blower to my 08 BMW M6 and everything in between. Carbureted stuff loves it, Fi just as well.

The original is pretty much a direct replacement for pump, the oxygenated, or "Extra Crispy" as we call it requires a retune. You must add 9-12% more fuel or it will lean out.

Keep in mind I am speaking about BioWeapon made from chicken fat, not Tactical Strike made from pork. We expect Tac-Strike to perform similarity to BW, but do not plan on producing it on a large scale. This is due to the fact that all of the filtering process that I have gone thru to remove salt and seasoning such far would not be necessary with our poultry oil. Also, the inconsistency of a used product, such as bacon grease, would require a great deal of extra work to render a consistent race fuel. I am more specific in the original thread located here...

One last note in reference to this part from the original thread.
    You all will notice that in my next photos the filtered pork fat is a thick gel at room temperature, whereas poultry oil is a liquid at room temperature. Obviously this is an aspect that we will have to consider in the rendering process, as well in the testing of the final product. Our standard test procedure it to put a fuel sample in a very cold freezer and make sure there is no separating or gelling. This will definitely be done to Tac-Strike before it is all said and done.

More photos and procedure to come soon.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

cool....so now i'll have a use for those 125 jets finally!

9. bodell

I am including these photos in reference to my previous post about pork v/s chicken for feed stocks.

This is a photo of ready to react poultry oil v/s our ready to react bacon fat. The differences are obvious now, but the resulting fuel should be visually the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. bodell

The next step it to get the remaining water out of the grease.

First we heat it until it becomes oil.

Then we heat a pan to 240F+ and splash a sample of oil on to it.

If there is any water present it will boil off and make the oil sizzle.
    If there is none the oil will silently hit the pan.

As you can see from the photo, there is a good bit of water in our oil.

We will now heat all of the oil to 220F and steam out the water.
    We will know when the water is gone because the oil will not bubble.
    This takes a while, but it keeps us from making soap during our reaction.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. bodell

We must titrate the feedstock before we can do the reaction.

Titration determines the amount of FFAs (Free Fatty Acids) in the feedstock that can be reacted so that we can calculate the amount of catalyst needed.

This is done by dissolving 1 gram NaOH in a liter of water to make titration solution.

Then we take 1ml of oil and disolve it into 10ml of alcohol.

A few drops of phenol phaylene is added to the mix and stirred, resulting in a yellow solution.

Finally the titration solution is added while stirring until the solution turns pink.

Noting how much titration solution was used to make the change calculates what is needed for our reaction.

A base reaction is 5g of NaOH + 200ml Alcohol per liter of feedstock.

We needed 1 ml of titration solution to turn our solution pink so that is added to our equation, making it 6g NaOH + 200ml Alcohol per Liter of feedstock.

Attached Files:

12. bodell

Now we dissolve 6g of NaOH into 200ml of alcohol to make methoxide and split it 4 ways.

We combine that with the 1 liter of feedstock that we split 4 ways in mason jars.

Everything is heated to about 140 degrees.

Now we stir and wait until tomorrow.

Attached Files:

13. ton

ton Arf!

14. doorstop Jones

doorstop Jones New Member

Thanks, but we know a little about racing fuel...

Ton,

Even won some championships with it. In fact, our fuel even makes more horsepower than VP MR 12, according to independent sources such as BMW Owners' Magazine.

I'm guessing Bodell was just bored in the off-season and felt challenged by Mr. Tactical Strike/Bacon Grease Guy from back in the day when people on this board thought chicken fat was chicken shit. We decided to play along for fun this time and share some of what is possible with generally available IP (intellectual property.)

In this case, titration is only a marker and differs greatly from the alcohol for reacting FFA's. Isopropyl is the alcohol standard for titration, which I'm sure you know. For fuel production, methanol, not isopropyl alcohol, is mixed with NaOH, or even POH. Methanol + NaOH (or POH) = Methoxide.

But we thank you for clarifying the use of various alcohols for everyone following this thread.

DJ

15. joec

joec brace yourself

this is really cool......

16. bodell

This is what the reacted feedstock looks like a few hours later. We expected a good yield based on our titration test, and we got it.

The dark liquid at the bottom is glycerin and the top will be biodiesel once we remove the methanol from it.

The glycerin will be discarded. We will use a long syringe in this application, whereas in production we use a large cone bottom tank with a drain valve.

I am trying to keep this thread simple, but if anyone wants the egg head version it can be found here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel_production

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  17. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

TOTALLY, glued to this thread like pr0n!!!

18. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Keep going.....