1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switch from Michelin to Dunlop

Discussion in 'General' started by Concerned_Party, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Concerned_Party

Concerned_Party Well-Known Member

Brad, why are you so mad? Cheer up buddy.

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

this ain't about you squid. get back in the car seat before i pull the hell over. :D

3. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

All right, I'm your Huckleberry.

Your don't think that Michelin can simultaneously make a tire that can win Moto GP races and another than can be bad for a new novice, but that’s exactly my point. Tires cannot simply be ranked on a good/bad scale. A GP tire that may work wonders for Nicky may not work for most club racers as I'll explain. A pro rider can keep a tire at 99% of its traction limits 99% of the time, but a novice or even most expert club racers don't have that skill or experience. We make mistakes, sometimes more than one at a time. A tire that allows a greater margin for error will work better for a club rider, and it will allow newer rider to progress faster. As some of the posts here have indicated Michelins tend to have great grip, but if you make a mistake and go over the limit they don't offer much traction while sliding at higher lean angles, so it sometimes seem that they wash out without warning. Dunlops, on the other hand, offer quite a bit of grip while sliding, and the grip decreases progressively as you slide them. A Dunlop rider has an extra margin of error that allows them to make a mistake and still recover.

4. me b racin

me b racin Thermosman is my Hero

All tires give a warning before the front end slides or tucks. Some of the time you will be able to save it, other times you won't. The trick would be to listen to what the tire is saying to you.

So you ran Pirelli's (German), now you are on Michelins do you speak French? Maybe the tire is whispering to you and your waiting for it to shout.

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but dang it, it works for you I guess. I am gonna start a more intimate relationship with my tires.:D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's saying that some tires give feedback that is more subtle and you need to pay closer attention to what they are telling you.

7. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

Very STIFF carcass! BUMP BUMP BUMP! DAMN!!!

8. V7 Jerry

V7 Jerry Well-Known Member

Some would call that good feedback right ;)

I haven't ever ran anything else other than Stones so take it all with a grain of salt :D

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

SOme of this post has good information. It believe it is true that the tires motoGP riders use or some of the stiff carcas tires used would put beginning riders on thier head. The whole falacy about "Michelins wash out without warning".. "Dunlops having extra margin of error but less grip than michelin".. Hogwash, BS, BUnk. The old S2/M2 michelins if not up to temp had little grip but you were made aware of that the first corner you tried to take on cold tires. Michelins "derease progressively as you slide them".. give me a tire that doesnt!!! The michelin if anything has the highest degree of lean angle, period. Look at the front profile of the PRC (and old S2/M2) front tires.

I love Mad Brad's position on this. I could be mistaken but he is not "mad" about someone switching from Michelins, it is the point the guy is letting others make decisions for him with no hard data to back up the position..I gather he would be taking the same stance would the guy be switching from Dunlops TO Michelin..

10. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I had a set of Michelins tell me "You need to get your fat ass back on Pirelli" right before they tossed me on my head for emphasis.

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yep. it ain't the tires.

at all.