1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switch from Michelin to Dunlop

Discussion in 'General' started by Concerned_Party, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I did not say it was bad. Just acknowledging it. Also, that means I must stay on my toes.

There was an article about Honda and the possibility of Motard based on the RC on Cycle World. What do you hear over at your end?

Honda is pissing me off. Every year they don't bring a replacement engine for the Hawk, I get that much closer to buying a Suzuki.:D

2. Concerned_Party

Concerned_Party Well-Known Member

I do have clip-ons, but even if I didn't I would still have about 1 inch of forks sticking above the triple clamps. Thanks for the advice roach, I'll just get in touch with the suspension guy. All I wanted to know here was if anybody was experiencing the same problem as I am with the michelins, and it appears not. So there is definitely something wrong in my setup. I'll get it squared away asap. Thanks

3. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

r6messagenet.com and join the forum.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If it's not related to racing, any information you have bikes these days is guaranteed to be better than what I know.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Well, related to racing: Secure me some 12-hrs of LeMans Motorcycle Posters!

6. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Concerned party just be advised that most of the riders on here defending Michelins ride for that brand, so take thier advice with a grain of salt. It's a common complaint with racers that the Michelins are not progressive in thier sliding and that they sometimes give out without warning. That may be fine for the GP riders with traction control and great riding skills and expierence, but that doesn't describe many club racers. The Dunlops will require a slightly different setup, but they will give you more feedback and will slide more progressivly.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is that LM 24-hr posters cut in half? :confused:

8. Chip

Chip Registered

Pirellis......:up:

9. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yeah, like aaron yates and his 600 adventures. i remember those "progressive" slides. (his helemet progressively sliding on the tarmac) tell me, when did the GP guys figure out the anti-tuck front end traction control system?

10. Get your geometry and suspension set up, changing brands will do nothing for you without a properly set up bike. The PRC front is amazing!!! If your complaining about the Michelin's "tucking" you will love the Dunlop tank slappers.

11. Concerned_Party

so basically I'm forced to make the decision of what downfall of each tire I can live with... Lack of traction on Pirelli rears, no feedback on Michelin fronts, or tank slapping with Dunlops. What if I just run a Pirelli front with a Michelin rear!

12. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Everybody else wants it all too, but they don't get it either

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

how about trackin the local fast experts, and comparing your times, and their tire brands? :)

14. Concerned_Party

Brad, I'm just a lowly novice who doesn't know how to set up his bike as well as the fast experts. I just slap rubber on the wheels and grab a hand full of throttle and leave the suspension the way it was when I got the bike, from an expert, who is very fast, and had the bike dialed in very well. I am not one who typically likes to jump ship when it comes to tires, but if that is the best option then I may be compelled to do so. Thanks though.

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

why is it the best option again??

16. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I would work on your suspension than jump tire brands again.....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  17. Concerned_Party

who said it was? "If" is a very fickle word.

18. Or you can start by paying someone to set up your bike properly. Novel concept but works for a lot of people.

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

or riding. you just said the bike was purchased from a fast expert, so that'd indicate there is nothing wrong with the bike, or tires. unless you've physically changed something.

20. Concerned_Party

Only one change, Pirelli to Michelin. Maybe my riding style doesn't coincide very well with the Michelins. I never had this problem with the Pirellis, so there is definitely something wrong here, could be me, could be the setup, could be the tires. My mind is boggled.