1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switch from Michelin to Dunlop

Discussion in 'General' started by Concerned_Party, Jul 28, 2006.

1. did you change the geometry of the bike when you changed tires? One way or another you did...

2. Concerned_Party

Concerned_Party Well-Known Member

Sounds like something had to be changed, but I didn't do it. The forks and rear went untouched and are the same, but possibly the profile of the tires changed the geometry of the bike? I was told they are the same size as the Pirellis, but who knows.

3. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Yes, Pirelli and Michelin have two totally different profiles. If all you did was pull off the Pirelli's and put on the Michelin's without changing any of the suspension I think we've just found where you might be having some issues. Set the bike up properly for the rubber that you have on it before you start jumping all over the tyres.

-steve

4. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

No, you're forced to have someone set up the bike correctly (suspension and geometry) for whatever tires you have on it. Then, you won't experience any of the above.

The things you list above occur when the bike isn't set up right. It's not the tires.

- Roach

5. Concerned_Party

Awesome! I'm going to a trackday and get this all worked out. Thanks.

6. So all this to find out that you did change the bike.

7. Concerned_Party

yeah, looks like it huh.

8. EShoaps

EShoaps Member

:Poke:

Would you switch to liking dudes if your girlfriend yelled at you? WHY would dunlops cause you to tankslap? Tankslappers are because your bike is on the verge of wheelying and the front end is very light on the ground. If you don't get them with Michelins, it's because you are getting a WORSE drive out of the corner and the bike isn't as close to wheelying as much.

....OR, the michelin has a shorter tire height. If that's the case then the front end is lower and more weight on front.

.....OR, 98% of the time it's RIDER error. Most people don't like to admit it and blame it on the bike.

EITHER case, it's not the dunlops. Granted the AMA dudes get different DUNLOP compounds, but I don't see them getting tankslapped to death.

Dunlops rule. I wouldn't trade them for anything, but the pirelli's are a close second.

Good luck man, make sure to adjust ride heights BEFORE drawing an conclusions.:beer:

Eric Shoaps
    EX#197

9. Really?

10. V7 Jerry

V7 Jerry Well-Known Member

Just go to Stickboy, get some Bridgestones and be happy :D Haven't seen any complaints about them in this thread.

11. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I am better than all tires.
    That is all.

Concerned Party- Mad Brad is a self-admitted dick. If he sees that he's getting to you, he will keep it going. Best option is to let it slide and don't let it bother you. There's enough helpful information in this thread.

12. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

If you think nobody else is getting tank slappers with Dunlops, you've been living under a rock. I was a long time Dunlop guy and loved them for years. The 209's are just plain evil!! I put Michelins on an went 2 seconds faster at the same track that a week before I could barely ride my bike on.

You obviously get Dunlops free or a great deal to pretend like they don't slap. Since they don't slap and it just because I didn't have a "professional" set up my bike. You might want to look in RRW at the bike that a "professional" did set up and the bike is now broke in half from.....that's right....tank slappers.:Poke:

and yes I changed EVERYTHING on my bike for the Lops. I have the Lop size chart.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That's usually a good point. Seems that more than a couple riders have experienced the same "tank slapping" issues however with the Dunlops. That seems a bit odd I'd say.

I'm no expert, but riders are really picky over their tire brands. I think for club-level racing, Pirelli and Michelin are the best tires out there. I wouldn't touch Dunlops (unless Jim Allen walked over and handed them to me), but that's just me.

I figure once I get into the 21's at Grattan, I'm going to have Monte get me a set of Michelins. If I get into the 19's, I'll stick with them.

But I'll tell you right now, whatever tire I'm using, at whatever given moment, is the best tire on the planet! There's nothing better! And if you don't use it, you're stupid!

That is all.

14. Concerned_Party

That seems to be a recurring theme in this thread... :D

15. Racer45

word!!! Anything that doesn't try to kill me is a great damn tire:beer:

16. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i just want to know when the anti-tuck traction control front end came about?

17. Racer45

3 years ago

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

cp, you have a pm.

19. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

It's between Nicky's ears.

It was pretty irrelevant to bring up Moto GP in the first place. Out of all the factors involved in racing (bikes, tracks, riding talent, and tires) Moto GP doesn't share a single common one with club racing in the US.

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you're right. it's also silly to say michelin can't build a tire that can hold up to the rigors of a novice rider who is constantly tucking the front.

wanna keep playing?

what's next?