1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sv 650 tuners

Discussion in 'Tech' started by iomTT, Sep 30, 2015.

1. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

It does help, when the RPM is so low achieving those HP numbers though dude. It is the required RPM to achieve the big numbers, that screw the crank with the heavy flywheel on it. Is it not???? Sounds very logical to me.

2. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

Getting over 90hp is not hard. And it's not just the crank you have to worry about snapping. It's valve springs, cases, and transmissions. Yes there are fixes for some of these, i don't know if they are all legal for IMOTT.

3. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Slick the engine tuner guru will have it covered man. We are building 2 motors for a start, one for practice week, then a fresh one for the 4 lap race. I reckon I will only need 90 max any way, as I am so light to start with, and will have full on Brembo Race callipers and discs also, making up time on the brakes for sure, which can be done in loads of places there if you focus on that area big time. A little here and there over 37 odd miles, soon adds up to reduction in lap time. I got supplied the full on Brembo race product by the NZ importer, who lives in my home town, and is a real good mate also.

4. swiest152

How do you know he will have it covered? Get details. I'd be really interested in hearing from him on this build. You'll need high lift cams to get that HP, you'll need different valve springs to deal with the high lift cams. Do the rules allow that? I'm asking because I don't know.

I feel like you didn't want anyone's opinion, you just wanted to say that your builder is good, is the man, and can do anything.

Not sure what Brembo Brakes have anything to do with the thread but cool?

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Well, in this case, the builder is pretty legendary-good ;) "Slick" Bass was Carl Fogarty's crew chief and now builds for or supports a large number of very high-level TT teams.

What his expertise is with SV's, I dunno - Zoran and Zlock could probably have some useful input - but in terms of the general experience required to know what he needs to know, this guy's legit.

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Because he is one of the Very very best engine builders in the UK mate. Slick Bass, ex Carl Fogerty WSB Champion Crew chief etc. And ref to Brembo RACE bits was as said, less HP will be fine, as I will make up time lost due to lower HP, by braking later with the best brakes available. And since I know the track pretty dam well, that I am extremely confident about.

7. swiest152

We are all just saying 95hp is a lot of power to be pumping through a stock SV bottom end. I don't care who is building the motor. Not saying it can't be done but I wouldn't feel good riding a 95HP SV even with some bottom end work maxed out that long.

Won't the top guys also have awesome brakes?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying dude, and I am just replying to your comments based on what I know and think about it all. As of this year, I have NOT seen one bike with Full on Race Brembo brakes on there bikes, Just mainly std road bike GSXR R6 and ZX stuff as such. Slick also does a shit load of Dyno miles testing on projects, some times to the point of full on blow up's, but at least he knows the out come before going on track. He has lost 2 rods in the last 2 months before this current spec build took place, which has noe exceeded his milage test on a Dyno. Haha, he has a rider watch a dvd of the TT whilst on Dyno, and pretends to go racing as such lol

9. swiest152

I have Brembo GP 40mm calipers with Brembo master and rotors.. Vesrah pads on my one SV. My other Sv has R6 calipers with Braking Cam-B1 Master and the same Vesrah pads. Stock GSXR rotors. The R6/Braking set up is better then the Brembo set up.

I hope it works for you. I still want to talk to him about the build :)

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Cheers. Google slick bass or Tony Bass, slick is nick name. He lives on the Isle of man.

11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

FWIW, We have a few still chugging.
    Kcraget's SB is a stock bore and going on year,,,, 5 or maybe 6,, shit?
    Broke an aftermarket flywheel last year(casting flaw),other than that 'never' opened up.
    He let me ck the valves once :clap: in like 2012....
    It can be done and lord knows ridden hard.

12. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Yea mate, I have seen the dyno sheets from Slick,s motor now also. It is a weapon for sure

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Can you use a slipper clutch? If so, get the sigma with the extra clutch plates for "big" SV hp applications. The standard SV Sigma slipper will wear out quick.

A slipper will reduce the twisting forces on the flywheel

14. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Cheers for your input

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

What a waste of a motor build. :(

16. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

OUCH

17. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

This.

I could probably get 200hp out of an SV motor. But would it make it to the first corner?

18. swiest152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUUlBwtKNs

[​IMG]

19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

20. swiest152

Then it would have made only 1 lap :)

there is reason why everyone is on quackers there and not zookas.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015