1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki to quit MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, May 2, 2022.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Still no official statement from Hamamatsu?

2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

japanese holiday week in Japan, don’t expect anything until next week.

if this was Hollywood or F1, red bull would come and buy the team, Suzuki would continue to supply their equipment and it’d be Red Bull motogp team powered by Red Bull and Red Bull, Red Bull and Red Bull.

Nathey likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Was that the situation with the Red Bull Yamaha two stoke holdout? Seems like they were about the last two strokes on the grid.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

nope, that was WCM trying to keep bikes on the grid and keep racing.

Bob and Peter were awesome and way ahead of their time.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Certainly sorry to hear that. And after the apparent "Covid bounce" on motorcycle sales. Still never understood why they couldn't/didn't get any major sponsors to help foot the bill. After winning the championship, I expected to see an energy drink or some such on the side of the bikes. Not their own internal oil company.

7. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Don't you need feelings to be hurt? :Poke:

8. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Monster has been all over their bike the last couple years.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

and I believe this was the first year they were the main sponsor for the team

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

they signed on two years ago and it was pointed out they were not going to be a naming sponsor. That weird 0. Beer came with them a few weeks later.
    This year it seemed motul took a much smaller role with the team and ecstar seemed to really lower their position as well. Add in no new sponsors and cash seemed to be less for 2022.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I have a 200A meter only and it is back to back in a pole barn so probably will pass code. But I would love to have a cutoff in case I add solar etc. Not to mention when they move the meter to the pole for a ring once the house is built....

12. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Suzuki hasn't done anything exciting with their lineup since 2005. They rested on their laurels and got left behind. Their newest liter bike is completely overpriced for what you get. It has a dash that looks worse than a toddler's electronic learning toy. Their most exciting development was mechanically variable cam timing. And they want $18k, or more than R1 money for it. I know what I would buy. Cross-plane crank, TFT dash, cast magnesium wheels, variable intake, etc..

13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Seriously, I think we can all agree Suzuki is in trouble.

When is the last time they introduced a new model on anything other than just slight re-vamps?

DRZ400- same engine since like what 2002?
    V-strom 650 and 1000- Same since 2005?
    GSXR line- updated but generally the same since like 2009?
    Dirtbikes- Still kick-starting
    Quads? I dont follow atv stuff too much maybe they have new shot there?
    Cruisers? They renamed the Savage a boulevard but same engine since like 88 seriously.

What am I missing?

I know they are small, but damn, people are tired of getting the same shit. Imagine if we were still on a Iphone 4 or if we just updated our CD players.

Steeltoe, MyWayGuy and Nathey like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

All I can think of newish are the new katana, the updated hayabusa and that’s all I can think of.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Nothing new from them in ATV's , but the naked GSX's were new a few years ago.
    All the cruisers are basically the same since they started the Boulevard name and added fuel injection in 05.

16. Robby-Bobby

Yea that was a cool revamp, unfortunately I like weird, cool shit and I don't think they were hot sellers. Especially since I see them often at auction.

Hayabusa, is it all new or just a new body and updates?

Here is also what I am curious about, is Suzuki bigger than Triumph, Ducati, or BMW. Yes I know BMW and Ducati are owned by larger companies. Is Suzuki just by themselves?

Triumph is introducing like 15 new models within the next 2 years and in the last 2 years we've already seen 3 other new models and a couple updates.

Boggles my mind how they just regurgitate the same stuff and expect it to sell.

I remember specifically when the 2005 GSXR1000 was introduced, they couldnt sell enough of them.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, true enough. I had to go back and look and saw Monster on the bottom side of the fairing. And the beer sticker as well. Seems lower-key than "Monster Energy Yamaha" or "Ducati Lenovo Racing". I guess it is still "Suzuki Ecstar".

I know they have always been on the small side. Sad to see the company who created the original GSX-R fall on such hard times. Here's to a come back!

18. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Weird that Suzuki supposedly told their whole team several days ago, and yet no public announcement yet.

Also, seems even harder to believe a new SV650R to compete with R7/RS660 will be coming, as has been speculated, given the news of general financial trouble for Suzuki.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would Suzuki waste the millions it’d take to develop, bring to market and promote an SV650RRRR? Most of the sales of the SV series of bikes wouldn’t care and don’t give a rat’s ass how it’d do on the track.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. Robby-Bobby

Normally I would disagree, but Yamaha and Aprilia both proved you wrong.

Yama-saurus and rice r0cket like this.