1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki-Title Contender 2020 MotoGP?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jesse Williams, Feb 9, 2020.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Its 2020, strange shit happening everywhere.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I hope Steeltoe put money on this.

3. Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams Need more track time! Always!!

Hummmmmm, who could have thought back in Februrary that Suzuki could win a championship? I gotta say at least one I told you so. Lol. Great season.

BigBird, vizsladog and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I gotta say I NEVER thought Suzuki would have been a serious title contender with the riders they had, and being a single factory team with no satellite squad. I'm happy they did, always liked them, and Davide Brivio is one of the most likely and humble team managers on the grid. Him, his team, and Joan Mir deserve a big round of applause for what they accomplished, with what they had to work with. Well done.

ORIF, Seiko, Ra.Ge. Raptor and 2 others like this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

2020...just catching up on decades of oversight. :D

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Haven’t watched any MotoGP this year, unfortunately. So, I didn’t know Mir wore a giant helmet. How does he not tip over?
    70B46D03-AD75-480D-9481-B4D6BFE029F8.jpeg

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

VR46 was never quite a qualifying master either. Hard to have a bike that does it all, well except when your name is MM93, then the bike doesn't matter.

wac likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One thought keeps going through my brain since they won the championship: If the Suzuki and Rins and Mir are back in 2021 in the same colors with no big dollar sponsors on the plastic there is no hope for motogp in the long run.

10. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I'm not talking poles or even front row but 2nd row starts would be more than enough for the Suzukis this year. starts and late race pace were phenomenal for both riders.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Because they could find a new way to win the championship they already won and both their riders in the top 3?

~sent from mobile

12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I believe its the only way to beat MM93 next year,if he comes back 100%.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's All a compromise right? Sometimes the outright speed compromises the handling.

Or how about if they didn't run out of soft tires on the restart at Red Bull Ring?

MM93 is pretty much unbeatable if he even returns to 90%. His race pace is almost a tenth to at least 1/2 second a lap faster than most other riders.

~sent from mobile

ShadowBoxer, deathblow and Shocker like this.
  14. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

My hope is that either VR46 picks up the satellite Suzuki team effort or Petronas gets tired of the Lin Jarvis Yamaha BS and jumps ship over to Suzuki after their contract is up in 2021. Either of those two could help pump some money into the Suzuki MotoGP effort.

ShadowBoxer and Newyork like this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think it'll be Petronas but I read an interview with Brivio were it was not 100% decided if they would field a second team.

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/16...ssed-the-finish-line-i-felt-empty-inside.html

Still, even with a second team they just can not keep footing the bill entirely on their own. I'm sure Motul gives them a few bucks but Ecstar being their inhouse oil brand can't be kicking in all that much.

16. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I heard or read, can’t remember which, that SRT isn’t very happy with Yamaha and the Rossi thing just made it worse. Something about they want to be the feeder team with young up and coming riders and to use their bikes to promote their own oil products. Something that was squashed or severely frowned upon by Yamaha.

VR46 isn’t in M3 in ‘21 and one can only guess that’s to get ready for ‘22 in GP.

17. Jesse Williams

So I know that I’m thumping my own drum but as rare as it is that I’m right I just HAVE to push this one to the top again.
    I am not some hard core Suzuki enthusiast (althogh my last race bike was a beautiful Suzuki). I want to stick my neck out again and say that Mir is about to climb his way into contention at the end of this year. As far as I can see; no one has adapted to the ride height device as fast and with as much success as he has. I’m just now watching the second Austria race and I have no idea what the result was but my guess is that he will be close to the front and might even squeak onto the top. I’ll see. What I do want to say is that I have a new opinion about wildcards. I loved the idea of chances to see guys like Pedrosa andCrutchlow

18. Jesse Williams

Sry, split post.
    Crutchlow on track again. I also have to recognize that riders like Salvadori, who have earned a slot through National Championship success, have earned their rides in MotoGP. This is a very important trend that we all should support happening at the world level as it will give our countrymen the best chance to get into the world class. And Salvadori would be on the grid if there was not a wild card (Pedrosa) in the race. That makes me ask: is it worth it? Let’s look at the statistics and crashes. How horrible they are getting, could have been and as in Mugello was fatal. Do we really need to put an absolute non championship contender such as wildcards in the mix of what I believe is an ever increasingly dangerous and deadly sport. Basically, I think it’s gotten bad enough without adding more opportunities for disaster to the grid for not much gain. I’m sure some of you are lividly against this opinion. But I’d like to know why?

19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Well since you asked ... nothing wrong with Wild Card riders , it’s not they are just throwing in Track Day guys into GP mix ...
    and if you were to eliminate the non championship contenders there would be six bikes on the grid every race ... some of the best racing this year is being done by new guys and rookies

Jesse Williams likes this.
  20. Jesse Williams

Jeez Louis!!!! I read this back and can’t believe how much I thought of Rinz. He’s an amazingly fast rider and put my man Sam in his place. IF! And I do mean IF!! That guy could quit wadding up prime Suzuki real estate into traps ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! Dang it! We’ll, at least the stupid, lopsided and boring world of MM93 wins are over.
    I know you Honda,(NASA), guys are gonna crap your pants when HRC folds camp in the next two seasons and completely stops competing in the world championship. But as much and I love MM’s talent and hate him at the same time. He is DONE!!! There will be no McDoo recovery. There were some amazing performances last season and I will never deny that Germany is HIS!!
    But they will only become less and less. He will NOT eclipse Rossi.
    PLEASE! Understand, my first bike and first love of racing was a crashed to shit F2. I have no loyalty on brands. Just models.
    I will predict that we will have a new 1st time winner of a world championship in GP. But who freaking cares who wins it next year? I say, nothing will matter at ALL!!!!!! in Moto(Boro)GP until the arrival of Acosta. I say to you all who watch the next 7 years: ENJOY!! That kid is going to destroy EVERYONE! No matter what he rides. Although I haven’t ever raced a KTM I hope that Olivera has opened the door for Pedro to take one to the top. Ty Howard blew me off of the front straightTWS on a RC8 one time on the sixth lap of an expert race and I called him to buy one the next Tuesday but it didn’t work out). F.U. Ty lol. Kidding bro!

Quicktoy likes this.