1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia passed away

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jkhonea, Feb 13, 2016.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Or maybe it's just drawing a bright line for voters.
    The appointment of the next SCJ is of massive importance.
    I see no advantage to obfuscating the situation.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Apart from feeding into the liberal narrative of opposing Obama for the sake of opposing Obama?

A smarter statement would have been "We will do our job as members of the Senate to properly vet any candidates nominated for the vacant seat on the Supreme Court."

Then, Bork the noms.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Which has been a problem with the Republicans lately. They seem to forget that the media is mostly on the Democrat side so they have to be as careful as possible to NOT give them anything that can be used against them.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Trump seems to be able to deal with the media by not dealing with them. He's a buffoon, but I can't help chuckling when he tells the media to do the physically impossible.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Trump is not the mainstream Republican party. His followers are of a different sort and he isn't involved in local senate races (yet anyway).

In the senate races where the Democrats put up even a half way decent candidate, the Republicans can't afford to have the Republican leadership doing stupid stuff that gives the liberal candidates and media ammunition.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Not good. I am seeing more and more on the news about Loretta Lynch being King Barrys likely pick for the Supreme Court. That would be a disaster.

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I'm seeing much of the same. And also seeing anyone that anyone that comments negatively about her being chosen is immediately being branded racist. This is getting really old.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. Black woman so of course anything negative that is said is either sexist or racist or both. It could not have anything to do with the fact that she is a despicable person that marches in step with the far left agenda.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Obama would be a fool to appoint LL for the SCOTUS seat. Her shilling for the prez on Bengahzi has her on the most hated list by many...The Republicans could easily squash her appointment and be rewarded for it. I expect him to appoint a much less controversial person...equally libitarded but not so controversial.

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I agree

I don't have any faith in Mitch McConnell. He beats his chest like he's standing his ground but I won't be surprised if he caves by mid summer. Spineless a-hole.
    It'll be his (and the republicans) deathblow if they don't wait until the next president. More former republicans are turning into independents and if the senate doesn't wait on the SC appointment, it will only speed up. Like others said here he could have chosen his words more carefully.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

12. ton

ton Arf!

in the coming presidential election, 34 senate seats are up for grabs. 24 of those are currently republican held. in order to regain control of the senate, the dems need to gain five of those seats.

what's y'alls feeling on how "waiting" until the next president to confirm a successor plays from that perspective?

13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

When was the last time a SCJ was replaced during an election year?

14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I think it's been stated more than once here that we y'all would prefer to wait

15. ton

ton Arf!

Kennedy was appointed by Reagan in 1988. Though, with closer to a full year, rather than whatever we have left now. And... that was after the Borking.

One other interesting tidbit is that given the average length of time nomination--->confirmation, President Obama probably has at least two bites at the apple.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-to-confirm-a-supreme-court-nominee.html?_r=0

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

In the interests of full diversity, can anyone confirm if Bruce Caitlyn Jenner Kardashian has a JD to go with his gender identity crisis? :D

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Don't know about that. It is quite obvious that the first appointment, be it a black lesbian wheelchair-bound veteran, or even God himself, will be simply blocked.

It is a roll of the dice on the rep side. Would a nominee from Billary or Sanders be any better for the right's taste buds?....

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm with you. I am no fan of Trump. and I really hope I don't have to vote for him (but I will if I have to), but I derive pleasure from the lamentations of the women.
    And for you women, please don't take that the wrong way.
    I love and respect actual women.

19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I seem to recall her saying she would violate the constitution in her last hearing (which should have been an instant toss to the trash). So yea lets put her in charge of it along with the not first hispanic that thinks world view matters.

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I can only surmise that it's kind of like watching two ten year old kids looking at 5 dozen donuts. One eats three or four and knows that he's had enough. The other will eat until he's sick just because he has them. Some people see "free" in a candidates promises and never consider the ramifications of that term.