1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport Build Prices

Discussion in 'General' started by Village Idiot, Dec 28, 2001.

1. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

I guess you must have one of those very optimistic dyno's

2. melissa

melissa Sir

I think you want to talk to Al Luddington. Any man who can take a ZX-6 and make it competitive against the R6 and GSXR600, and hide the evidence well enough to avoid scrutiny, is the engine builder you want.

*disclaimer: I have never personally ridden an F4 so I didn't include it here, also I know that the rider makes the bike etc etc but really there is something very wrong with a "supersport" ZX6 that can win the AMA 600 championship against bikes an order of magnitude better, even if it is piloted by Eric Bostrom.

3. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

Why would it be so impossible to make a ZX6r competitive , not to take anything away from Al who is a super talented guy, but a ZX6r is a very good bike.It is by far the best choice for a privateer and is one reason we have switched back to them after running the R6 in 2000 and 2001.

4. melissa

melissa Sir

Obviously it's not impossible. Al Luddington did it.

5. aod99

aod99 Administrator

- Okay - I'll bite.

Why is the slowest, least powerful and heavyest bike "by far" the best choice for a privateer?

They pay a little more money is some situations in some sprint classes but otherwise I am not seeing a "by far" advantage here.

I mean, I guess if WERA lets the 636 version race supersport you may seen an advantage there but really, "by far" the best choice for a privateer?

I even went back and looked through the results (although they are not really sorted that way) and there are entire weekends where I can't even see that anyone even raced a ZX-6 in 600 superstock expert sprints, much less dominated the class to make the bike the "by far" choice.

See bottom of article for figures...
    http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issues/dec00/600s.htm

6. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Will humiliate self for..

I never intended to get a battle going between the builders but who am I to scrutinize against a little pissing contest. Besides, it's free advertising and great publicity for sponsors and the like.

I am quite familiar with the likes of the motors that are built for Larry Denning. One of the motor's that I have was previously built by Larry's former teammate from Dega racing. I won't pitch names because he has since retired (a shame) but the motor that I ran all last season was simply amazing. Durability and awesome power were the highlights, too-short gearing and rider error was the demise of that precious beauty.

In any case, what I am looking for is a company, or privateer for that matter, that knows what it takes for a privateer to run a series and what an engine needs. I have the suspension mods (gotta love Max) and a few years under the belt. What I need is a motor that can compliment that setup and someone who stands behind their work. The motor is a 2000 GSXR 600.

And in case this comes up I'll throw in this in... Yes I understand that owning a new model with all the bells and whistles is great, and I have the funds to do so. However, when I see that good, clean racers can win seasons on 3 and 4 year old equipment, it makes me beleive that there is more to the meat grinder than a hopped-up bike. Yes I would like an advantage against the rest, but I would rather that edge be experience than dumb horsepower. I think it would make me a better racer to save the extra funds to spend on tires and fuel and food, then to go half preparred. I know the bike, it's comfortable. I have the saddle time this season to make place for myself, hopefully in the top section of the points. So if anyone wants my money click on the link and send me a price...

7. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I want one 'O" dem dynos that'll make my gsxr 600 put out 116 hp...
    Oh no, then it won't be Formula USA legal...
    Best stick to what I got I reckon.

------------------
    Matt Drucker

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

So what are you saying? Gixxer6's don't make that much in Supersquid form?