1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport Build Prices

Discussion in 'General' started by Village Idiot, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Will humiliate self for..

I have 2 GSXR engines that are bone stock that need some, shall we say, "help" to keep up. What I am looking for are answers to the following questions:

1. As far as SS engines, what mods are fact and which are myth? i.e. Is massaging the head enough? (no pun intended [​IMG])

2. Regarding such builders, which places are reptable and maintain good prices in the N.C. area? (Read "good" as market value)
    i.e. 4 & 6 Racing etc..
    3. If I wanted to be really fun, what could you possible get out of a 600 Superbike engine?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If he doesn't answer soon, keep this up top far enough for Chuck Warren to see, he'd be the best info on Suzuki 600's - especially the Superbike part. AOD is a really go source too but being an Endurance team they haven't totally built the motors since the exploding Yamaha days.

3. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

KWS motorsports in charlston sc
    ask for kevin hunt
    they have an excellent reputation across the country.
    they just won the fusa superbike championship on suzukis, rider: shawn higbee

4. Mblashfield

600's today have superbike engines. a new suzuki 600 with a pipe, fuel and power comander makes almost 120hp. im sure the same motor with pistons, cams, porting etc would be close to, if not exceed 130hp.

5. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Shane Clarke would be an excellent choice. He left Valvoline this year and is building motors. His credentials are very impressive.

6. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

What is Almost 120 hp , I'm sure there are a whole bunch of those suzukis with a pipe , power commander and fuel out there , but most of them must have had some problems as Larry Denning on a worn out 105hp R6 sure won a bunch of races against them.

7. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Flyers for Lee Shierts Shop at the GNF declared they do cheater motors

Speed costs: How fast do you want to go? [​IMG]

8. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

That's right...don't ask me a damn thing. After 22 years, what could I possibly know about building Supersport-Legal engines?
    http://www.wowmotorcycles.com

9. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

WOOF! WOOF! Down boy! It's your charming disposition that keeps 'em coming back, C. [​IMG]

10. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I would definitely recommend KWS.

11. Mblashfield

we have dynoed 3 such suzuki 600's
    1 - 116.8
    2 - 117.6
    3 - 117.9
    as i said, almost 120hp. not 120hp. not 122hp, but almost 120hp.

almost = slightly lower than, not quite.

maybe you should start a post titled: "bikes with problems that larry has beat on his clapped out r6 making almost 108 hp" as your response has nothing to do with this topic.

12. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

No one answered the price question. What would some of these shops or guys get to tune a motor?

13. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

I would highly recommend Valley Racing in Dolton IL. They are at the Illinois / Indiana Border. So about 2.5 to 3 hours from Indy. They do all our motors and other Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan racer's motors. I've also known people to ship their motor or drive from as far as New York to have Valley do the work. Brain Conley is an awesome tuner and I was just down there about two weeks ago dropping off my motors and got a look inside a couple of GSXR motors he was doing. Those Suzuki motors are pretty sweet.
    Anyway, if you want it done right give 'em a call at (708) 849-9117.

14. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

that is a real tough ? to answer depends on what motor needs Valves, or just a valve job, valve springs, and if you want the motor to last a whole season, type of racing endurance sprints (1-2 or 5-6 a weekend) You can builda motor that makes real good HP but needs to torn down every weekend to check clearances.

Your best bet is call some of these people tell them what you want hp wise, if you want to be legal, and how much racing, and what type of maintance you are prepared to do or rather have them do.

But as this question asked about Racing Engine Services it is a good shop Ron knows what he is doing and been doing it a long time (817)783-6699 it is South Central, Mansfield Tx.

15. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Really depends on what you want done and what your definition of tuning is. Do you want it tuned for jetting or fuel delivery (on the fuel injected models)on the dyno? Do you want the cams degreed? Do you want the ignition adjusted? Do you want the motor freshened up? ect....
    Best to give them a call with what you want done to receive a price quote.

16. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

these guys are really good and very helpfull with any questions that you can come up with..

17. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Oops I guess I clicked on wrong icon. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Eric_77 (edited 12-29-2001).]

18. Mblashfield

i hope your not considering going with the lowest bidder on your engine work. i highly recomend calling these companies listed here and talking to them, tell them what your looking for and the time frame in which you need the work completed. ask them for names of customers and then call them. if your serious about racing, your relationship with your engine builder is most important and shouldnt be taken lightly. determine what type/class/s of racing you will be doing and find someone with the appropriate experience.
    a good superbike builder wont necessarilly be a good supersport builder. expect to spend at least $1000 with a reputable builder, this may or may not include shipping, dyno tuning, and parts. when you find one that meets your needs, hang on to him. timing is a very important issue here as well, not cam timing, seasonal timing. get on the books as early as possible, the good engine tuners stay busy all year long. add several spare motors to your racing budget, youll be glad you did. dont expect any critical aspects of racing to be "cheap". look for cheap carpet for your pits, or cheap gatoraid or cheap bread for your lunch at the track. if you find a cheap tuner, all you will get is cheap excuses.

19. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

This is probably also a topic for another thread, but HP numbers also depend on what dyno you're on (and, apparently, what day of the week it is and what the phase of the moon is...). Running a bike on the same dyno is good for judging the effectiveness of modifications, but you'll get differences of up to 10-15 HP running the same bike with the same mods on a different dyno.

I'd love to see some sort of standard--i.e., what's the force exerted by the rear tire on the driven surface and that's it--without all the correction factors introduced by the software from the various dyno manufacturers that actually result in the HP numbers. Then again, stuff like drum friction will come into play and introduce error, but it'd be nice to get dyno-to-dyno error more into the 1% range and less in the 10% range.

But, I digress. Different topic.

20. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Actually, one of the big questions here is: what year GSXR motor?

If we are assuming that these are 2001 (or 2002) motors in good condition (good compression, valves are still in good conditions and the rings are okay) I think that opening up one of the motors is going to cost you a lot of money for almost no gain.

If the motor needs to be rebuilt (rings etc, and remember, there is no such thing as just a top end rebuild on these motors) then you might consider spending some of the extra money (degreed cams, etc) but again, you should not expect to see much difference in your lap times from slight (or even moderate) increases in bhp.

In our experience, you have to do a significant amount of work to a motor (ie, not super stock legal at all) in order to generate the kind of power increase you can really feel AND it is very very difficult to translate the increase in power to faster lap times.

In other words, if you are running a Superstock bike with $15 gallon fuel, pipe, $2000 worth of suspension mods, brake mods, and have spent two practice track days trying out various geometries and spring rates etc and you always have enough money for new tires and new pratice tires and a data logger and all the entry fees you can handle and have explored every other venue for going faster...then you might consider spending the $2,000 that it will cost to get an almost negligible increase in power and the resulting almost imperceptable decrease in lap times.

Or, to put it another way, Lee Acree's Super Stock bike doesn't make much (if any) more power than yours does and probably, even if you had 750 motor in your bike (ie, huge increase in power) Lee would still waltz away.

Now, if you have one of the older bikes (1997-2000), the cheapest upgrade is to buy a 2001 or 2002.

YMMV

Sam Fleming
    AOD