1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suits & dress clothes

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Aug 5, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fail. Hand over your card.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

For the quality/price Charles Tyrwhitt is good combo at least for their shirts. Brooks brothers is about 3x more, but I do have shirts that have been in use for over 5 years. But styles change a bit, so they eventually get worn a lot less.

Suits, I would go with a Hugo Boss. Their suits look great.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Positive. Unlike you, my vision isn’t tainted by bear lust.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

From what I remember, I think Jos A Bank is better than Men's Wearhouse. But with decent certainty, about 99.9% of the time, I can tell a cheap suit tailored or not.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Some great opinions here, some others not so great.

My best advice is looking at weddings you have been to, you wont know what to buy, but you definitively will know what NOT to buy.

General rule of thumb for me, most people are dumb, so dont do what the majority of people are doing.

BigBird likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

Do you own a SUV?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So which group are you in?

speedluvn and BigBird like this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah just find a cheap flight to Stuttgart and go to their outlet in Metzingen, half an hour from the airport. I got my wedding tux there for $250 instead of $1250. had a slight blemish inside the jacket... (that no one ever saw except me)

BigBird likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I would say more than anything, go with classic looks that fit your body properly. You know how stupid those oversized 80’s blazers with the giant shoulder pads looked? Well this trend of wearing your kid brothers bar mitzfah suit with every button and seam straining to hold on is just as bad.

rafa and dobr24 like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's a pretty general generalization of most of the majority.

rafa likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

let me add the no socks thing with dress shoes to that list

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The key to a suit is the shoulder and how it fits on you. You could try on 10 different jackets from the same brand and see 10 subtle differences in shoulder fit. To me, that's what makes a suit.

Yzasserina likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Let's complete the look with 5 day unshaven face, hair sticking up in all directions and a sidewinder knot in your skinny tie.

BigBird likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Found my style guide for dressing.

[​IMG]

16. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Men's Wearhouse bought Jos A Bank a few years back. There may not be much of a difference anymore.

BigBird likes this.
  17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

He's over dressed.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not just a suit; dress shirts, polos, t-shirts - it's all in how it fits at the shoulder. And taking some time to do some overhead presses and rows to make sure your shoulders have some shape to them and you have good posture goes a LONG way to making your clothes fit better.

19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

As well as the pants that are tailored short to show that you don't have socks on.
    And stay off of my lawn with those suits with the skinny pants. Regardless of how cool you think you look, you don't.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

you know how I know you're old :D

worthless likes this.