1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suits & dress clothes

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

So I may need to step up my wardrobe game in the future. Other than a local one off place, and I dont live near a major metropolitan area so those are slim pickens, where can I get some suits, shirts etc? I can always hit up mens warehouse, and have in the past...but thought I'd check and see where the beeb corporate warriors get their stuff from, online preferably. OTR and bespoke options please.

Thanks.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brooks Brothers is my go to again. I've bought charles tyrwhitt, Thomas pink, ralph lauren and RL purple label (black label's cut sucked) and paul stuart.

3. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Jermyn Street in London is worth the trip if you want to dress like you know something about clothes. Just walk up and down the street, there are plenty of options and world-class people to assist you. Don't forget to stop at Fortnum and Mason for snacks while in the neighborhood.

4. ChemGuy

BB on-the-line, shop or outlet store? Any idea if their suits are different quality based on sales channel?

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I think this material would make some fabulous suits.

[​IMG]

Shenanigans, RichB, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  6. ChemGuy

If this works I will mostly be domestic, but may get some overseas so this is possible.

zrx12man likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Go to one of their real stores. The outlet stuff is okay but a step behind the "real" stuff.

They were just having a sale online and it might be still going on but the problem with online unless you know your size you're kind of poking and hoping.

Where you out of again?

8. ChemGuy

Im 2-3 hours from Chicago, Indy or Detroit....so basically middle of nowhere. Only thing nearby would be outlets, although i may have to just go to chicago for this.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

what's your budget and what are you looking for? One suit, a couple dress shirts and shoes (lace ups only, slip ons with a suit is for used car salesmen)? A full wardrobe?

Chicago has a good brooks brothers and if you've got money to spend, go over to paul stuart.

10. ChemGuy

Not 100% I need to go down this road yet. talking with some people in a couple days. Assuming i will need something updated for an in person, hence the questions. If this gets that far it wouldnt be a 1 use suit...so spending 700-1k on the suit is not out of the question. But I expect to need faster than pure bespoke, so OTR and adjusted some is fine. Maybe a shirt or 2. I still have decent shoes, and Id have to beat my own ass if i wore slipons.

Glad you mentioned BB as I hadnt thought of them. They have stores near enough and i prefer their cut over some of the eye-talilan brands.

11. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Jeebus you guys are slackin'.....

ChemGuy is gonna end up looking like a Keebler if he goes where DaveK shops!

But other than that, solid advice :)

12. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

From your location description it sounds like your not far from KZoo. I'm sure you can find something there.. I've never had to shop in that town but it's big enough should have the usual stores.

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OP, if/when you buy some new clothes, can you put some on , take a new pic, and have that as an avatar here?

The one you use now makes me feel like this is a BBS for pedos or something.

14. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Depending on your body type Banana Republic is decent and once you figure out your sizes you can just buy online with ease. If you sign up for their email list you can get 25-40% at least once a month.

BigBird likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

Thats Mark "Chopper" Read.

Aussie criminal. Robbed drug dealers. Tortured them by toe cutting for more money.
    Had a painter and dockworkers union put a contract on him.

All around good guy....:D

But YT Ronnie James Half Hour - Chopper Read

Its Funny as hell.

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Another vote for Banana Republic. I found the sizes that fit me, they have modern fits and are priced reasonably. I've lost a few pounds training this year so I just ordered some new stuff the other night, dropped the waist size and went to the Grant fit shirts (Grant<Slim<Regular) and good to go....

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Rock it
    index.jpg

TSAVO5150 likes this.
  18. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Sommerset Collection in Troy might be a reasonable drive for you, and with several of the nicer department stores for OTR options (Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks, BB, BB-Outlet). You’ll certainly find nicer stores in Chicago though. Just about all of them have lesser lines at their outlet stores. Although I think BB-Outlet is perfectly fine to fill out a collection, but the suits are predominately a different and lesser line. There’s a good forum for reading up on the differences called Styleforums, it’s perhaps a bit too metro to join, but there’s some great info on the differences between lines. Regardless, remember that any good, well tailored suit, can be undone by poor shoes and a belt.

ducnut likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Banana Republic my ass, unless they changed their cut he's too old to look like a hipster doofus. :D

A blue 2 button (three might also work) Brooks suit, a fresh pressed white dress shirt, a well tied tie and black lace ups polished until you can see jesus in them and a belt to match. . . dress for the job you want. :)

and for the love of gawd, no pleats in the pants. You're not MC hammer.

Shenanigans and ChemGuy like this.
  20. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I was in Melbourne years ago when they had an anti-drunk driving campaign starring him! I think it was a court ordered public service obligation. Didn’t know who he was at the time, but after hearing about him, the commercial was hilarious!

ChemGuy likes this.