1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storm 2 or wait for Android?

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The only thing I can see not being able to readily do with the Droid that I could do with the WinMo device is using it as a wireless access point and router. Something I could do with the WinMo device fairly easily. The other is pulling and RTSP stream from my windows media services server at home. That just means I'll have to load music on the SD card instead of just streaming it like I used to do.

2. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

No tethering, eh? That's one thing that kept me away from the iPhone.

Luckily, I've got a bit of contract left to ride out. Plenty of time to see what comes up in the way of hacks and apps. No tethering could be a dealbreaker for me, though. I only travel a few times a year, but it's a great thing to have when I do.

3. Venom51

It's high on my list of things to work through...I suspect it won't take long.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Tethering? Just change the rom to one with tethering.

5. Venom51

Not until you can gain root access to the device. Something I am sure people will start working on fairly quickly.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Indeed its under the knife as we speak :)

7. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

This conversation just moved above my pay grade. :confused:

Let me know if you get the tethering thing figured out. Meanwhile, I'll just shuddup and watch.

8. Venom51

Nah...under the hood Android is very Unix-like. That just means to change anything related to the kernel functions of the OS requires root level access or otherwise total control over the device. In a consumer based application such as a cellphone you'd want to keep that functionality away from the average user. It won't take long before someone does it...1.0,1.5 and 1.6 have already been violated. We'll just have to wait a bit for someone to violate 2.0 or figure it out.

Getting it wrong will leave you with a useless brick just as in the WinMo world you can do unlocking the SPL and flashing the phone to a different ROM.

Same stuff different device and OS.

9. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Verizon will offer legitimate tethering after the 1st of the year for an additional $30 per month.

10. Venom51

Define legitimate....data usage is data usage. My wife works there and I completely disagree with the tethering surcharge. It's a crock of shit charge. Alas it is their network and I have no problems paying for my unlimited data plan but I do have a problem with paying another $30 just to hook a cable or bluetooth to my phone and get access to the web.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

My bud already pays extra for his tethering feature thru his BB, cant see VZ changing that anytime soon, hence my move to another carrier.

Im sure someone will make a tethering app within due time, they have them already for the Pre.

Does the Droid play Flash files?
    Capable of setting up groups for texting?
    Voice recorder?

Three features that piss me off with my phone.

12. Venom51

1. Not yet but supposedly on the way...more and adobe thing than a Droid thing.

2. Will test on the wife's phone tonight.

3. Yep...but no app installed from Verizon.

13. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Played around with the HTC Eris and the Motorola Droid in the store today. The HTC feels like a much nicer piece. Smaller, lighter, and feels less fragile. The virtual keyboard was nicer than the virtual one on the Motorola, and the slide out on the Motorola was just so-so. What are you missing with Android 1.5 vs 2.0?

14. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Went and checked out the Droid this evening at Verizon. I gotta say, it looks like a sweet phone! I got the Omnia in August and its my first non flip phone. I didnt want a BB because everyone and their mothers have one and its just not me, but the now I really want a droid. Some dude had logged onto his facebook on this demo they had there and so I hacked into it and put on his status "Im gay" hahaha I wonder how that went over...

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I can look into the text groups but I'm not familiar with that. There are a multitude of texting apps though, one of which may have that.

16. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Anyone have any issues with the camera?

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

That is surprising. I have an app on my Hero that does tethering. I have only used it to see if it works for a min or two, so no reviews yet, but it does work.

18. Venom51

So far I haven't had any issue with the one on the wife's phone. Shot some video today of the dog killing his stuffed duck as he always does. Uploaded to youtube right from the phone.

The wife is on a pretty steep learning curve coming from the simple Brew devices but she's picking it up quickly.

19. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

I have to say after working with this phone for the weekend... I like it a bit better than the iPhone. I am on long island and the 3g is INSAINLY fast on this phone. The phone itself is very very fast, switching from one program to another. Also it is the first phone I have ever actually used the voice command stuff... it actually is more convienent than navigation via buttons.

EDIT: In fairness I should list something I do not like... the side volume/camera buttons feel very cheaply made.

20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Droid rocks!