1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storm 2 or wait for Android?

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Oct 29, 2009.

1. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

More than 1 e-mail acct with notification off on one/some, but on for the other(s)?

2. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

Please forgive my ignorance but, at the back of the short bus I have got a "Problem Loading Widget" thingy on my homescreen and it will not go away. Any ideas? I got the Droid yestiddy. Grassy Ass...

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hold your finder on the widget until you feel the phone vibrate and the Tab at the bottom shows the trash can. Now slide the widget down to the can until you see red and all should be good.

4. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

How many hours r u guys getting for battery life?

5. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

I've done that w/ the shortcuts and Widgets I put on the Homescreen. This is a dialog box that says "Trouble Loading Widget". It is centered on the screen and will not go away. It came up when I downloaded a Fox News App/Widget. My home screen is completely clear except for the dialog box. :confused:

6. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Anybody having a problem with Voice Search/Dial for contacts? I know dialing with a BT device doesn't work (which kinda sucks), talking about the Voice dialer or Google Voice Search to call contacts or dial numbers. Every time I "call contact name" using voice search, it just pulls up google in the browser.

7. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I am a BB user (curve 8330), and I tried the Droid for 10 days. Returned it.

I need the phone to work more like the BB, in the way of calling contacts, and being "awakened" without 2-3 functions. BB holster is too good to give up.

Also, no push email except through Gmail or Exchange Svr sucks.:down:

Currently, this is just a cool TOY, aimed squarely at the iPhone.

I am going to see what they fix between the Dec and Jan updates and then i may be back. I wish they included setup options on the base device that are as detailed as the BB setup is. Having to load apps to run all of the features you want will surly burn up some memory.

Someone needs to develop a BB function app.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Does the Droid only have one zoom level for the browser?

9. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Nope. it has more

10. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

Try saying "Dial (persons name)"

11. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

So they have a keyboard and on screen typing? I've always been a fan of real keyboard (ie BB style), but if the on screen is that good, do they have an on screen only model (ie iphone)? I'm somewhat considering one of these, but the thinner body of the iphone is more appealing to me than a keyboard.

12. Venom51

uninstall the Fox News app and see if it goes away. Anything that's a widget should be able to be removed from the desktop with out issue.

13. Venom51

1. No....if you want a non keyboard you'll need a model other than the Motorola Droid. The HTC ERIS is a non hardware keyboard model. It runs 1.5 however and will be missing some of the features of 2.0.

2. The iPhone is not much thinner that the Motorola Droid. I'd say marginal at best.

14. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Ah. I was messing with Joe's phone the other day but it had a cover on it. Maybe that's why it felt so bulky. I would much prefer to stay on the Verizon network.

15. Venom51

The Bodyglove case adds a good bit of bulk to it. I prefer to run with out one. The wife likes hers as it makes the phone easier to hold onto in the car.

16. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

I've tried that, still just get Google in the browser when using Voice Search. Using Voice Dialer works, but it's somewhat inconsistent...and you have to press the name on the screen for the call to go through. Not hands-free at all.

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Voice search.

17. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Question for those with the Droid. One of my only deal breakers with it at this point is the youtube app. I have it on my Imagio and when I use it, the video is full screen and right at television quality. When I tried the same video on the Droid (actually tested the exact same video side by side), the youtube video on the Droid did not full the whole screen and was pixelated. Did I just miss an option on the video? The quality of the video on that app was disappointing.

And normally I wouldn't put much stock on that, but I have a four year old and I've found the youtube video library quite useful for keeping him entertained. :D

18. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Use the menu button, then "more" on the popup, select "Watch in high quality".

19. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Frank, I had tried that and the quality improved, but it still stayed as a reduced size, ie, didn't fill the whole Droid viewscreen area. Was it the unit I was looking at or is that just the way its set up?

20. Venom51

Depends on the original content. Anything shot in standard resolution 4:3 will not be stretched by the player. Anything that was enconded from 720p content in a 16:9 format will fill the screen.