1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter relay going bad

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dave_SV, May 21, 2015.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The Sambuca factory is across the street. Free samples during lunch. Dave got a motor built in the afternoon..

2. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

Time to do the SBK build you were always dreaming of…

I had one of my Stator Bolt mounts break inside my 998 engine a few years back (due to misfiring from a bad relay) and actually felt/heard the damage and stopped the engine in less than a lap @ CMP. Took the bike to the shop where I had them change out the whole side case, stator, etc and flush the engine MULTIPLE times.

They told me that I should split/blueprint the motor to ensure all the windings were indeed flushed, and that they could not warranty any further damage without doing so. Seeing as how I was about to loose my job, I told them to button it up and I'll deal with it later. Switched to SVs for a few years and had a blast.

Fast forward to 2 years ago when I decide to give the PastaRocket a go… first weekend on the bike, second session @ Barber and I notice a funny noise followed by a flickering oil pressure light. Pull over, check everything, decide to drain the oil, and VOILA…

Seems like some of the windings decided to stay put in the journals and worked their way to the Rod bearings… (also, found one inside the crank when I went to remove the clutch)

Moral of the story- don't waste your time and $$$… start fresh!

Attached Files:

3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Great advice, against my better judgement I will be sending the motor out for an overhaul instead of dropping it into the Hudson river along with the rest of the bike...

4. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Send the engine to Allen Noland. He will take care of it for you. I am sure they bike was starved for oil and ruined other pieces for the engine. I have owned 3 Aprilia SXV's and still race one of them. Its always something with the motards. lol

5. G2G

G2G I feel the need