1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter relay going bad

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dave_SV, May 21, 2015.

1. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I have an 07 aprilia sxv 450 that I'm working on tracking down a starting issue, bike will turn over but won't fire up.

The bike used to just make a clicking noise when I pressed the starter button even with a new battery fully charged (I tried several batteries just to make sure I didn't have a bad one). I replaced the starter relay and the motor then turned over but wouldn't start. After about 10 minutes of trying to start the bike it started to just 'click' again when I pressed the starter. Replaced the battery and the same thing still happened.

My question is can a starter relay go bad that quickly? It was a brand new relay and I haven't had this happen before.

I verified there is spark at the plug, next step overall is to drain the old fuel and replace the plug to see if that fixes the starting issue but I don't want to keep frying relays.

2. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

if it's italian, yes it can fail immediately...and in an unprecedented manner ; )

you need to see where the voltage stops. that'll tell you what's going on. the relay "clicking" tells you only so much: that the primary (control) side is doing it's job and the secondary (the part you hear clicking) is being actuated. now, whether or not it's closing (and thereby passing current) has yet to be determined. put your positive meter lead on the starter motor + and negative lead on battery - and work your way backwards. that'll tell you what has failed.

and yes, if they're using shitty relays they could fail in short order. even moreso if you have a fucked starter motor that's pulling crazy current just to turn over.

3. Dave_SV

Hah!

Excellent advice, I bought a new starter motor so I am going to toss that in and then measure the voltage like you said. If you are around this weekend and want to tinker around in exchange for some free beers let me know :D

4. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

alas, i'll be a summit this weekend. if your problem persists and/or you wanna wait, i can swing by next weekend. and for what it's worth, i'm always happy to help...especially if pried with beers. you need only ask.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Just stick screwdriver across relay posts and see if starter works. If not you will need one, they burn on those bikes.
    ps. don't hold starter button to long

6. Dave_SV

Okay I replaced the starter motor, starter relay and replaced the plugs. Pressed the start button and still got the same 'click' noise at the relay.

Fuel pump primes when I turn the ignition key on.

I pulled the starter motor and pressed the ignition again with everything wired and the starter motor didn't turn, still same click at relay.

I will try jumping the relay to turn the starter motor but this is a brand new relay.

I tried measuring voltage at the starter motor but the meter couldn't display the voltage properly, the relay would shut off too quickly after the starter button was pressed.

7. Dave_SV

Oh yeah have fun at summit! If I can't get this figured out this weekend you will be on my call list :D

Will do and thanks for the starter button tip

8. TWF2

Did you ground starter when you had it off trying?

9. Dave_SV

That would help wouldn't it? I will try again with the starter grounded this time.

10. Dave_SV

Removed the starter again and properly grounded it, when I push the starter button the relay clicks but that's it. I jumped the relay by placing a screwdriver over the two relay terminals and the starter motor spins.

Properly re-install the starter motor, jump the relay and I get nothing but a click from the relay. I removed both spark plugs in case there was too much compression or the battery was too low and got the same result.

I'm ordering a Shorai battery, the one in this bike was the original Yuasa and it may be bad even after I put it on the battery tender.

I don't think the motor is seized (or at least I really hope it's not). Before I go down that road is there a way to test the brand new starter relay to see if it's bad?

11. TWF2

Spin motor by hand and see.

12. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue recently on the 91 zx7 that I am building. My relay would click just like yours. I tried a new battery, relay/solenoid, and starter. Same result. I had a bad chassis ground. I cleaned up the ground and the starter started spinning freely.

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

This happened to me on a ducati 800ss. All kids of weird electrical crap just started happeneing one day that drove me crazy. Pulled the ground off the block, cleaned it (it was green), and viola!

I hope it's this easy for ya. If not, I got nothing.

:)

14. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

have the old battery load tested also. always a shame to scrap a good battery.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah. Ground wire. Install a heavier gauge.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The battery is the original from 07 and it's the last thing you're checking?:tut:

I'll bet you made yourself a bunch of work/aggravation because of a weak battery. See it all the time, battery showing good voltage but no amps.

17. Dave_SV

How would I do this, put the bike in gear and try to push it forward? I tried putting it in 6th gear and moving the bike around, it sort of worked but was not easy at all to move.

Good to know, I didn't think about that

The motor had turned over a few times but never fired up with the existing battery so I didn't replace it right away. If the battery winds up being the issue I will be happy :)

18. TWF2

Take engine cover off and spin with wrench direct on crank. You can put in gear and turn wheel by hand but on crank is much better to see if it spins freely. Have plugs out either way.

You said you tried different batteries. You have to make sure battery is good.

You can also take known good battery and connect it direct to starter itself. Ground it to engine and than touch starter with positive wire. If that does not spin motor it is either starter or engine. You can use car battery.

Starters on this bikes are pretty small and burn out easy so don't crank to long at time.

19. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Bring it to VMDs I will take it home and scrap it for you.

20. Dave_SV

I don't want to know what you Ohio chuckleheads would do to my bike during VMD, probably give it bike AIDS or something...