1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squatters- talk to me like I am in 5th grade

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That sure, but the statement made was buying in bulk leading to visions of buying homes at Costco or Sams Club :D

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, they scan toilet paper at the cash register one pack at a time.

(I know there's only one seller but that made me laugh. :D )

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You've been gone too long, you can buy TP in a case of like 60 packs :crackup:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wonder if they sell it by the pallet full?

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There are entire new developments that were purchased by corporate entities here.
    They then lease the units out.
    Pretty solidly in the bulk category.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

A few companies have gone in and purchased entire developments from the builder or even partnered with a builder to build entry-level single-family homes specifically to rent. If that isn't bulk, I don't know what is. The builder loves it because they have guaranteed sales, can lay off the entire sales staff, and not even have to mess with building and maintaining model homes. No messing with options or customizations either. The company doing the mass buying gets a better deal as well. The only unhappy people are the buyers that wanted to buy in that area and now will be forced to rent, look elsewhere, or compete against more buyers for nearby houses. This is not country, state or sometimes not even metro area wide. Sometimes it is just a particular suburb or two. They target areas they believe are going to grow by watching corporate announcements about new facility locations.

In 2021 they were typically getting enough rent to pay off the houses in 8 years. The fact they use investment cash and/or cheaper loan rates than entry level buyer can get makes this even better for them. I concur that not everyone should own a home, but entry level buyers competing against corporations that can pay cash or use cash from a corporate loan at a significantly discounted rate isn't very fair, but it is life in a free market economy. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are getting some insider info from corporate board members who are invested in the funds on where to start buying before the "new factory" announcement become public.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Entire developments are built by developers too so yeah, they are built in bulk and can be bought in bulk, but that isn't what was being talked about. Hell, buying a huge apartment building or a skyscraper is buying rental property in bulk.

I am curious though - where has a company (not even going to worry about foreign or domestic) bought an entire subdivision of single family homes they then rent out? That's a new one on me.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But that is no different than being a developer who builds a rental development. That isn't buying single family homes in bulk. Hell the condo complex Evelyne lived in on Hilton Head was built by a develop who rented out anything he didn't sell. So yeah he owned/built bulk rental property but no different than a huge building or other apartment complex which people have been building for what, hundred years or more?

As you noted - the entry level buyers are not competing in more than one subdivision or small area of a town, there is nothing remotely forcing them to buy right there. Just because they want to live where they can't afford doesn't mean they deserve to for some reason.

Buying property where you think business is going boom is a long held american tradition. Funny how people keep getting upset about it.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not really upset about it as long as they are using publicly available information. I have seen no proof insider information is being used, but also wouldn't be surprised at all if it is.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I'm sure on that end it's all publicly available. The locals love bragging when they're getting an amazon warehouse or google is building somewhere or the like. It never stays remotely secret.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I'm still picturing someone walking into Costco to the real estate aisle and grabbing a case or two :crackup:

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I know of one in McDonough that was bought out in whole about three years ago. In the last three years there have been 20 or 30 here in Georgia alone. Big business all over the country.

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Kissimmee has entire neighborhoods owned by corporations and used as vacation rentals.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense, not a whole lot of people living in buildings in town with that many units.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hasn't that been a normal thing for a while for vacation village type stuff?

Sister did an Air B&B there last year in a house farm but it wasn't all one company.

BC likes this.
  16. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

https://www.builderonline.com/data-...gn-to-accelerate-and-transform-the-industry_o

This is a couple years old from when it was taking off. The reason it is being brought up as an issue is that it is a change in approach. A developer renting out a couple of units until he can unload them is not the same as a 150 unit housing development being built (and would traditionally be sold one by one) with no intention of ever having them sold as single units. It definitely skews the pricing for that area.

And this isn't about high end properties, though they are being bought up as well. DR Horton and Beezer aren't building luxury. This is Levittown-level construction that has traditionally been the domain of the couple converting from DINK to breeder status who want a yard instead of convenience to their favorite bar.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I totally agree it's a different approach - sort of. It seems the real main difference is the individual properties aren't attached to each other. And if there are that many people willing to rent smaller cheaper homes rather than apartments it's no surprise companies are supplying them.

So evidently some of the purchases are in bulk. Cool.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How many rolls to a pack?! How much do y'all shit?!

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Welcome to Costco. I love you!

pickled egg likes this.
  20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

These are 100+ home neighborhoods with 3-5K Sq Ft pool homes, all vacation rentals.