1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squatters- talk to me like I am in 5th grade

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Mar 1, 2024.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Can someone explain to me how squatters can just decide a person's property is theirs, even if it's after 30 days?

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Reality is an illusion.

You’ll own nothing, and be happier.

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I had one in one of my dad’s rentals like 13 years ago. She wasn’t paying rent. My dad tried to evict her and was waiting for the long process. I walked in the house. Detonated 2 cases of flee bombs because of her cats and told her if she stayed in the house the fumes would kill her. I changed the locks on her and threw everything to the curb.

cbush, Chris, motoracer1100 and 13 others like this.
  4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

GA just passed some new laws because its (apparently) gotten so bad... have a house sitting there vacant waiting for a renter or sale, and rando's just break in, change the locks and 'squat'. Sometimes people don't even realize it for months because its not their primary residence. I've even heard of it happening when people go on a 2 week vacation! The cops aren't even allowed to evict them!

I don't get it though. If I came home and someone was squatting, I'd break the door down point a gun at them and say get the eff out. If they didn't, Bang bang. Castle Doctrine.

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chazzz, Pixelator, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! I wouldn't consider them squatting... rather "breaking & entering"!!!
    And they would be dealt with accordingly like any other crqck head criminal that tried breaking in...
    Some serious physical altercation with them very violently be removed!

7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Lmao

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Because we are so soft as a society that poor helpless renters need to have more rights than mean, rich, vicious landlords. So states have laws that protect "renters" from being thrown out. So these human scum draw up a fake contract and then say they are renters and you have to then go thru the long tedious process used to evict people. The cops come over and go...whoa nelly...civil case...not criminal...and walk away.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I've decided to rebuild this house as the current house is unfit to live in. Rather than pay someone to haul off a large pile of debris I'm going to reduce the amount by burning it to the ground. Ash is more compact than lumber. You are welcome to stay as long as you can stand smoke and flames.

Pixelator, CBRRRRR999 and The Todd like this.
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

To be clear, cops absolutely CAN drag them out as tresspassers, but they don't WANT to, easier for them to say it's a civil matter and look the other way. Actually acting causes paperwork.

11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Georgia proposal has made it through both chambers yet. It did make the crossover day deadline. The big change is that this new law would make squatting a criminal matter rather than a civil matter. It would be an automatic trespass case. I don’t have a full handle on all of it, but I think the gist is how to prove trespassing and the requirements for legally declaring that someone isn’t allowed on your property.

Related topic, but my city has a program where commercial property owners can register their property in something we call a trespassing affidavit program. This means the police can order someone off the property without having to first contact the property owner to confirm the person is trespassing.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I used to know a bouncer that would evict anyone anywhere in FL for $2500 cash. When I had 1 rental it was like carrying a .50 cal as a concealed weapon. Having seen his work & how efficient he is was surely amazing.
    Now I immediately fill out the required forms after a lease is signed, require a substansial security deposit, & have a boiler plate demand letter in the rental folder. I havent had to physically remove anyone yet. :) I have had to deliver a few demand letters on the 4th of the month from younger tenants being casual about paying rent no later than the 3rd or late fees apply as stated in the leases.

MELK-MAN, Gino230, Pixelator and 4 others like this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I'd rather give the money to any decent financial guy than deal with renters racking up water and electric bills in something I cannot control. Plugging pipes, staining concrete, and all the rest of the bullshit.

Was only 3 years ago in Michigan you legally could not throw people out even if they weren't paying you. Pregnant female.....hahahahaha. You'll be on the 10 o'clock news if you even think of throwing her out.

Fuck that. All of it

That being said, I am thinking of trying a high end weekly vacation rental on the water.

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

While I agree with many of you, I think ya'll forget the criminal squatters seem to have more rights, than you the property owner have, and you will end up in prison/jail for assault/ murder..if you were to attack them.

SpeedyE, Pixelator, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Legal "protection of tenant's rights" is one of the main reasons I exited the rental business. Various government entities have made residential rentals unattractive as an investment, exacerbating the shortage of affordable housing. If we could get the government to declare war on road racing, it would soon be the biggest sport in the country.

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

This is one of those instances where Violence is ALWAYS the answer. Our society has gotten so pussified and over regulated that Im just gonna bow out of this thread before a vacation happens.

MELK-MAN, boxcrash, Photo and 10 others like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The tough guy stance sounds great and all, but doing it by the book is gratification in its own. Had one that went a couple months playing the game, well I did too. Got a bit of a thrill when I was accompanied by the sheriff and tossed all their crap into the yard as I was legally entitled to, then took a couple of hasps and locked them out. Yeah it was a pain but it was all done by the book.

SpeedyE, Gino230, smooth and 8 others like this.
  18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

All done by the book, they got away with not paying rent for a few months and pocketed the $$. You get to renovate the place before having to rent back out. You like loosing $?

boxcrash, Gino230, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Better than going to jail for doing something stupid.

SpeedyE, DBConz, Pixelator and 5 others like this.
  20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

It's different between a renter turning into a squatter, vs someone squatting while it sits empty or you're on vacation.

Renter turned squatter = use the courts.

Come home from vacation vacation or visit an empty rental = I feared for my life and defended myself appropriately from this person that had broken into my home.