1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sport type doc for shoulder and arm?

Discussion in 'General' started by flygirl, Jan 12, 2018.

1. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I had a really bad labrum tear, almost totally detached. Dislocated joint and some minor chips. I want to say it took a good 16 to 18 weeks before I was out of the sling and just get somewhat normal sleep. I did PT 2 times a week and keep up with your stretching at home. The more work you put in the faster the recovery. Turned out to be 6 hours on the table.

flygirl likes this.
  2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I went to ortho atlanta @ piedmont for my broken heel... no surgery tho. my shoulders crack all the time from bike wrecks but its more annoying then painful. they also looked after my buddy who wrecked both of his collar bones in dirt bike dumbo ness. for what its worth, his scars look massive.

flygirl likes this.
  3. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it a lot. My daughter says mine was worse than they thought. I think she said I was 3 hours. Not positive but whatever they gave to to sleep was unreal. I went to willy wonka chocolate factory and beyond. I hope you are doing well with it all today

4. flygirl

Wow on the massive scars. I will say I look pretty darn good on the outside for scars so far. Not sure on the inside. They want me sedentary for 3 weeks until starting any pt. They did try to get me in home care but I didn’t take out the extra ins for that unfortunately. I had every in’s in the world taken out but canceled some with recent move to free up some income and of course isn’t that always when something dumb out of no where happens. I’m grateful though I could have had a much worse prognosis on the skin cancer thing. I’m clear on that and hopefully stay that way. So gotta remember to see the positives which is easier said than done sometimes. But there are always positives if we look for them no matter how dark it can seem sometimes. We all have our stories in life that we have to go through and overcome just not everyone talks or writes about them . With that said I’ll leave my Walmart story to a minimum

5. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

he quit riding years ago...granted hiking the entire appalachian trail from GA to ME is pretty badass...i've been trying to let him know its cool to ride a 125 and let ur ego aside on that 400 plus shit.
    11140762_10204281953425023_8028731493343905780_n.jpg

flygirl likes this.
  6. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

My shoulder is good now. I'm still nursing other injuries but my normal day to day you can't even tell it was ever broken.
    Did they send you home hooked up to a block? Basically it's a pump plugged in the top of your shoulder. Keeps it numbs for a about 5 days depending on what size you get.

flygirl likes this.
  7. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Good luck. I'm at my 5 week check up for shoulder reconstruction. They used a tendon from a cadaver and screwed it to my clavical and looped it under my shoulder blade to hold it down. 4 weeks in a brace/sling, I couldn't use it for anything luckily I have an automatic. Funny thing is Femur I broke in the same wreck is fine and I'm looking at 3 more months before I can think about high impact sports.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

flygirl likes this.
  8. flygirl

They did a nerve block and told me it would wear off in however many days and sent me home with major pain scripts that I’m trying to do without. I haven’t even filled the 2nd one yet. Had a hard time trying to sleep last night. The opposite arm was hurting which I thought was weird. Sympathy pains I guess. I’m un comfortable and a little challenged but I’ve definitely been through worse things in my life. I haven’t read the paper work as I’m just coming out of the fog but I wanna say they told me something about taking muscle from my biceps and attaching something somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  9. flygirl

Yea I’m in the sling too and I’m to do nothing for 3weeks And then maybe he starts the pt? I dunno. One day at a time. They told me total 6 to 9 months recovery time. So boom here I sit

10. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Read the paperwork. Once at home the doctor wanted me to start basic stretching exercising. Then once I had a week or 2 week follow-up they sent me to PT.
    The longer you sit the hard it will be to loosen up. It's a fine line between doing enough to help work out tension and over doing it.

If you don't have a recliner get a triangle pillow. Sleeping sitting up helped for the first couple of weeks.

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Dad just had his rotator cuff reattached with 4 anchors 2 weeks ago. He’s been using some mobility chair deal at home since like day 2. No rest for the wicked. But getting it moving and flexing again quickly is a huge part of a quicker recovery.

flygirl and wrx_02 like this.
  12. flygirl

I’m so glad you two posted that because I feel like concrete is pouring in. I knew I would get important info in here if I started this thread. Thank you!! I was so out of it with the anesthesia that I didn’t know the paperwork was even there. That lingered till a couple days ago. I’m trying to go with no pain meds as much as possible so I have a clear head. I just grabbed this squishy small ball and I heard crackles. I had a hard time doing paper work at the vet today. My next appt with the doc I think is around the 18th. I hope they start pt because I don’t want to turn into a statue. I feel it.

13. condon66

condon66 Member well known

It takes time, you've acknowledged that, but don't get too stressed about progress. You are young and will heal up well.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

For the record, this is the torture chair ... 694958CC-4F14-40C7-899F-1FDD6540F3C3.jpeg

flygirl likes this.
  15. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I'm a PA-C, (PA), nice post!

16. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

It sucks but you will find little goals like being able to tie your shoes and brush your teeth with that hand. Little victories that sound stupid but make you smile. I had explicit instructions to not move it for 5 weeks but mine was a separated shoulder. Had to sleep in the sling/brace for 5 weeks. I just started PT and it is extremely sore. It helps to have someone to help you get groceries and stuff. Uber eats saved me since I live alone. Lots of Netflix and then the Stationary bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

flygirl likes this.
  17. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Getting a total shoulder replacement Thursday morning. I'll let you know how that recovery goes.

flygirl likes this.
  18. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Don't hesitate to call the PA. They usually have their name and card in the paperwork. I had my wife listen to all of this and explain it to me 2 days later once I was able to comprehend. Any worries or concerns on if you are doing the "right thing" then pick up the phone. The PA's are usually very helpful.

flygirl likes this.
  19. flygirl

Yea I’m on my own also. My daughter came out for a couple days of the initial surgery but had to go back to work and her new baby. This pain I will never forget. It’s as bad as child birth only the baby never comes out. I can’t handle the pain meds so I have to deal with this completely without. I thought I was tough and would bounce right back. I stay constantly sick to my stomach. I can’t sleep for days. I don’t even know how I’m pulling this all off . I did call my brother since this happened and we are getting close again so something good is coming out of this. (He is in NY) I thought I was having a heart attack the other night the pain was so bad . Figured I would let him know what was going on. I will be so grateful when I don’t have to suffer this. But yea the little victories like learning to be left handed or catching yourself before you almost fall in the shower. I’m definitely being challenged in a different way and I’ve been through a lot in my life. This isn’t the worst thing that has happened to me but I will never ever forget this pain ever

20. flygirl

I’ll add you to my prayers and good luck! I know you will have good support helping you at home so that will help you with some comfort.