1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sport type doc for shoulder and arm?

Discussion in 'General' started by flygirl, Jan 12, 2018.

1. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

can anyone recommend a good sports doctor in the atlanta area that specializes in shoulder and arm area? Mine is bothering me and Im not sure if its from when I lifted a old ladies bag that felt like it had a dead body in it or maybe from one of my falls but I felt something when I pushed her bag up in the bin and its been hurting ever since. I figured I heal so fast from my crashes so I just ignored it but I think I better get it checked out because it doesn't seem to be going away. I want a good doc that knows what they are doing because I suspect its a muscle or nerve maybe. I figure somebody on here has probably had a shoulder injury on here at some point and may know of a good doc...thanks in advance

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'll get you recommendations for you in the Northside Forsyth system. My daughter's an O.R. nurse there, and works primarily orthopedic surgeries. She has strong opinions about most of the Drs. she works with. I could give you a recommendation for the best knee/ hip surgeons. Sounds like rotator cuff issue. Could be an impingement, or tear. I've had both. Also could be something else.. Wise to get some Dr. recommendations. Good luck to you!

flygirl likes this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

4. flygirl

thank you both so much!!

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

i think @Metalhead can show you some recreational exercise moves for your arm

6. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Athens Orthopedic Clinic did mine. Several locations on the east side.

My PA told me he could fix +/-90% of shoulders with PT. He said he could write a 'script for PT or I could watch YouTube and save some money. Turned out he was right on both counts.

K51000 and flygirl like this.
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

She doesn't drink beer. Nor does she have one of 'those' things.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Repetitive motion isnt good you know.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's why i thought you'd offer yourself up

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

when I shattered my collar bone, I used Resurgens Orthopedics. They are over on pill hill (northside) so very close to you. Evander Fogle. Did a great job and enjoyed watching the video of how I did it. :)

flygirl likes this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

My daughter says hands down Resurgens' Dr. Irfan Ansari is one of the the ortho surgeons best she's ever worked with. Both in and out of the OR. My 94 y.o. Mom gets cortisone shots from him (or his PA,) and he genuinely is a great guy, in my opinion.
    https://www.resurgens.com/irfan-ansari-md

I didn't realize until I asked her for you, that she works with him every surgery he does at NSF. (She's proud to be 'requested' by the Dr's there.)

Good luck, whatever route you choose!

flygirl and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

IMHO, resurgens has gotten too big for their own good. Its just a mill now grinding out patients.

flygirl likes this.
  13. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I can hook you up with the best shoulder surgeon in America, period. Whenever you want to cut through the BS at Duke, you just ask, "who operates on the Duke Mens basketball players, which will be instant millionaires when they leave school . Dr. Alison Toth is that person. She travels with the team during the NCAA Tournament and she did my wife's rotator cuff surgery two years ago. Let me know if you're interested.

flygirl likes this.
  14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

#flygirl,
    If you’re out this season. Can I ride your bike?

flygirl and Phl218 like this.
  15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dude knows what he's talking about Alicia.

flygirl likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Next in line

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Where did your hot friend go,that was gonna stay here,and made us all vote for her,and not use us?
    Did you bury her in your backyard? Cause I know she loved us :(

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's probably a tendon issue. I have injured both of my shoulders over the years, and it was never doing anything exciting. Once I did it reaching behind and lifting my generator out of the trailer, the other one was something equally stupid.

The one time it took over a year to get back to 100%. The diagnosis was partial tear. I still have some popping in that one when I do my stretches, but I can still lift weights and do basically whatever. Doc says there's scar tissue built up and the tendons are probably rubbing against each other, like rubber bands.

I am very careful to warm up and stretch my shoulders now. And I take fish oil, which helps alot with little over use injuries from working out, etc.

Of course, you might look a little silly doing your stretch routine before boarding.....

One of the best things you can do for your shoulders is a daily brachial hang- basically hang from a pull up bar for as long as you can (30 sec-1 min.) This opens up the joint for blood flow and healing, and gives a good stretch. It really helped my recovery the second time.

flygirl likes this.
  19. flygirl

Thank you for making me laugh through my tears right now. Searioysly I needed that. I was about to make one of those complaining/venting threads that some do here. My cat that I’ve had for almost 17 yrs is dying and I can’t save her. I will probably be putting her to sleep this weekend. I have to do this workman’s comp thing that I don’t want to do. I was hoping to avoid that and I was really on a roll working hard to pay stuff up and have Race money for the season. Working more hours than I ever have in a short amount of time. Then this stupid shoulder stuff happened. I helped this little old lady with her bag because well that’s just what I do. Some stews won’t touch a bag but me I do. Especially when it’s an elderly . I went to school for nursing so I know how to bend and lift but what got me was the final shove of the bag in the bin. Still I fluffed it off because I always heal fast whenever I feel a pull or strain. It usually goes away in a day or two. I’ve been doing this job a long time. Well not sure what’s going on this time but this shoulder hurts like heck and nothing over the counter takes the pain away. The thing that kills me the most is losing my first pet that has been by my side through so much stuff. Sleeps next to me every night and I can’t imagine being without her. Thanks for listening and I really better not be out for the season. I’m gonna need that racing more than ever plus I talked a girl to Moving from the west coast to here to Race with me. I’m praying it’s just a muscle thing that a cortisone shot or something will take care of. So for those that pray I could use a couple prayers right now. I’m hurting both physically and with a breaking heart. Thanks

baconologist likes this.
  20. flygirl

That post sounds like it. Everyone has been helpful so thank you to all so much. Btw what’s that thingy that I don’t have? I don’t get it (confused face)