1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Security... how do we fix it?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by STT-Rider, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Well they did funnel massive amounts of money into his Presidential campaign so they sort of paid for it.:up:

:rolleyes:

3. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

agreed. I thought it would take more than a few nights of partying in Lincoln Bedroom of the White House to seal the deal...:D

4. racer212

racer212 Well-Known Member

Raise retirment age to 68. Right now. Today.

Fair-tax.

Done.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Bro, working till 68 is ridiculous.

I think there should be a few different age brackets for men and women and depending on job.

If you're a salesman or work in a cubicle out of the weather, fixing your action item list and shooting emails back on the shitter from your blackberry, sure ...........you can work till 68.

You go work with some guys on asphalt/concrete/ironworker/welder jobs and let me know how the 68yr olds are moving along on those crews. There are some jobs out there that kick the shit out of your body.

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Quit robbing it to pay for other government functions. Where do you think the money for tax cuts comes from?

Don't believe all the BogeyMan tales you hear on the glowing box, you'll live a happier and more informed life.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

You guys shut the hell up and go back to work. I love getting that check every month. I started paying into it in 1962. I'd be just as happy to get my money back compounded at 4% in one hunk.

8. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Well if thats the case.... at least i know 100% I'll get an ROI with tax cuts.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

IDK, Seems like a short-sighted investment with very limited returns and lots of negative amortization.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Theoretically the construction guys should be in better shape because they are getting exercise in a safe manner by following OSHA regulations. :D

11. STT-Rider

So maybe while you are doing that kick the shit out of your body job... be preparing for a transition to a non-kick the shit out of your body job later in life.

12. STT-Rider

If it's in my pocket, I'll make sure the rest is good. I invest better than the Feds.

13. tony 340

Good call, because everybody is looking for a 45 yr old college grad.............:p

Keep in mind, the more competition for your job long term means the less you'll make, and the less likely you'll have a job period. ( I know what you do BTW :D)

My old girlfriend always got in this argument with me. We both went to engineering school. Here's the thing. If everybody goes to engineering school, guess what? Engineers won't make dick because the market will be flooded with them. She always had that selfish mindset that everybody should go finance 75K in student loans to make 40K jobs. Fuck that.

So yes, even that guy in the corner mopping floors as a janitor.....even his job is important, and he should make a good enough living to support himself and his family.

All jobs are important, you're never better than anybody, you just might try harder.;)

In the end, retiring at 68 for SOME people is downright ridiculous. There's cops and municipal workers been retired 20 years by then.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your value in the marketplace is whatever it costs to replace you, including knowledge, skills, ability and experience.

15. STT-Rider

The cops/fireman and muncicipal worker gravy train is derailing quickly and rightly so, just not enough horses and way to many folks hopping into the cart and society in general is gettig tired of it. Municipalities made promises they cannot keep so they will have to negotiate with the pension reciepients or go BK and stop paying.

I have always wondered if business and the workers in this country staged a "financial" revolution.. I mean EVERYONE just stops paying taxes. Employers stop witholding taxes, porperty owners stop paying property taxes, etc..etc..

WTF would the government(s) do... they would HAVE to bargin with the people and with business and make changes would they not?

16. tony 340

I think all sectors need to unionize. Right down to cashiers, landscapers, everybody....even trackday orgs.:D

When you step back and say this is what we're gonna make, this is how we'll do it, these are the hours we'll work, and this is the way it's gonna fucking be.

Then next year all the companies get together and do the same thing, figure out their expenses, insurances, etc....and adjust pricing accordingly.

The problem is this is illegal to do, but long term for some sectors of business I think it would really help things.

Everybody that couldn't scrape by is now on the tax burden.

edit: I think you're onto a good idea there. A lot of people would be scared to do it. There's many people in the country that don't have grocery money for the week yet. Sometimes guys like you and me forget how good we have it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  17. scotth

scotth Banned

The cops are different, but if the State of Florida ever tried to get out of paying its defined benefit pension obligations, I hope the workers riot and go after every single Republican legislator in Tallahassee (Democrats don't tend to buy into the stupid present in the Republican caucus on matters of public employee issues), and I'll happily join them. If someone works for 30 years under a set of employment conditions and you change them after that person's retired, you deserve to be shot. The pension fund is a pre-funded system, and if they chose to underfund it as they went along, they can make it up whenever they like, even if that means tax increases. The solution is not to just tell the workers to pound sand.

You'd probably have a little difficulty getting around, what with the looters and public disorder, to say nothing of getting around the Chinese that invaded after the Army decided 'volunteer' only meant 'not conscripted', not 'unpaid'.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, unionizing is the answer....:rolleyes:

19. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Wow. Great idea. Of course the trackday org I work for would go out of business, cuz they don't pay instructors ( most of them don't.). If they had to actually negotiate, unionize, deal with paperwork and pay then guess what, trackdays would cost twice as much. Minor details ehh?

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Likewise. I've got over 50 years worth in this "entitlement" program. How is it an "entitlement" when I had no (legal) choice but to pay into it?