1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Security... how do we fix it?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by STT-Rider, Feb 15, 2011.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

How do we fix this entitlement program?

Who should get it.. at what income level (if any) should you not be elegible for it. Also what age should you be able to begin drawing?

Should we have an option to "opt out"..etc..

Discuss.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Monte, at my age I can forget about it entirely. It'll be gone.

No fixing it for my generation at any cost. Unless of course 2/3rds of the baby boomers drop over dead in the next 5 years.

3. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

Wasn't it a temporary program for the endowment of the poor?

Shouldn't the poor continue to participate?

Leave me out of it.

4. wsmcrobert

wsmcrobert Well-Known Member

End it, don't mend it.
    Give everyone their money back.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. STT-Rider

Well I am 48 and I have serious doubts that I'll see any benefits. How long is it projected to stay solvent....2032 or something like that?

6. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Just end it. I don't even care if I get my money back.

Realistically, it needs to be a phased close out, and the age needs to be raised to 70 very soon.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Shut it down.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I want my $3000 a month. I paid in, I want it.

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'm not old enough to know the specifics but my 72 yr old father said the age was set at 65 when the average lifespan was 65. People are living a lot older now and it's a serious money drain.

Not likely that any substantial changes are going to occur, as someone said in another thread a politicians primary goal is to get re-elected not make the right or tough decisions. They just kick the can to the next guy and when he makes the tough decision the opposing party finds every example they can of how it negatively affected .1% of the population. Same shit different day.

keep paying your taxes and buying stuff, nothing worse than an educated public

10. STT-Rider

That's a lot of money, would suck to lose that but you;ll have to suffer so some SOB who's faking an injury or mental illness can get thier guberment check on the 3rd of every month. Fair is fair you know.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, I want it but like you, I won't get it.

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Same here.

I'm not counting on it. I'm counting on having all my shit paid for, a paid for company, that provides me with a meager paycheck.

Who knows, by then maybe we'll be bankrupt too. Thanks to insurance and taxes.

13. Venom51

Just shut it down...I can do better things with my money than the people using it to buy votes or finance allegiance to their party.

14. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Kill, kill, kill the poor....

15. Venom51

Give them a fish or teach them to fish?

Someone who knows how to fish and fails to do so is their own enemy.

Someone who's given a fish and never taught is a slave to his master.

16. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

You've paid 6.2% of your income your whole life and you are ready to just drop it and not expect anything? I don't get that philosophy.

A large majority of people never make enough to go over the amount they stop taking taxes at yearly, currently like 100K. I think that number should be raised so more people can enjoy having the percentage taken off for their whole year. Not saying it shouldn't have a limit, just that it is too low. 250k maybe or 500k.

17. Venom51

I lool at it as 6.2% of my income that I'd get to keep for the rest of my working life. I can't do anything about the 6.2% that has already been stolen from me for the previous portion of my working life.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

6.2% plus 1.45% for Medicare. Double that for the employer match (that is part of your compensation you never see). Over 15% reasonably invested over a career and most could retire in relative comfort. Aside from increased longevity, survivor benefits, spouse benefits, ad nauseum have paid for votes at the expense of the program. It would be nive to think og getting that as a lump sum with no further payment, but the dollars you get would be worthless with what would have to be printed to cover the cost.

19. wsmcrobert

wsmcrobert Well-Known Member

True, of course on the other side of the coin the benefits will be just as worthless.

20. STT-Rider

The people who max-out are also the most likely to actually have a plan to provide for themselves in retirement so it makes great sense to punish them, right?