1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

social media and the rabbit hole of affects on society

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ESmith, Aug 13, 2018.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

#2 does not look pleased with the setup

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

First place we went to was a bar called the Elusive Grape, more of a "working professional" type bar. I didn't notice a single person engaged with an electronic device, they were all engaged with the each other. Second place was called The Abby. More of a college level place with craft beers. My wife and I were probably the oldest people there. Most of the "kids" there were more engaged with their phone than the people sitting across from them.

When I took a trip to New York we took the train from Whitetail (or somewhere next to there) into the city. Our friends were showing us around so of course we were talking to each other. I noticed no one else on the train was talking to each other. I asked if that was the norm and they told me yes. I find it strange that you can be seated across from someone for an extended period of time and not talk to that person.

I'm not sure how me pointing out that people would rather have their social engagements with a screen than the person in front of them somehow means I want to go back in time is one hellova a stretch.

As far as technology goes, I have become driving directions stupid. I had a customer I would visit about once a month in Bowling Green Florida. If I had to drive there without the use of GPS I would have no idea how to get there.

4. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

You older folks are killing me . When I see kids and their heads buried in a mobile device, I also see the parents doing the same. When I go out to the local bars, I see millennials on their phones just as much as the 50-somethings. It's not generational, it's societal. Atleast, that's what I've noticed.

ESmith, Montoya, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

And very effective I might add.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

wait, lemme check that on Facebook.

600 dbl are likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Think back to your parents talking about you and your friends - they felt the same way.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They also weren't always sitting there talking to each other either. Also the vast majority of people in restaurants aren't on the phone the entire time these days. You guys have the weirdest memories of shit :crackup:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I'm not that old. I mean, I remember 8 tracks...

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me on a plane and I'd be that way on a commute too. I want my down time, maybe some tunes, and a book. Other than that I want no interaction with other people, I have to do that all day long as it is.

I've found that too - it actually bugs the hell out of me so I make a point of using more landmarks as a mental thing even with the GPS. The one upside is with the RV it doesn't fit where the GPS thinks it will so for that I do have to precheck any non interstate routing - and that is where tech is a huge help with Google Maps and the satellite pics.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We weren't tards, just a bit toasted.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't recall seeing you there so I'll go with my memory of what happened in my life.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is your assumptions about other people, I already figured out your life wasn't close to normal :D

15. 418

418 Expert #59

+1

I never got the whole need of older generations to look down upon younger generation, when the older generation used to be the younger generation that was looked down upon by their parents or grandparents. Hypocritical much?

As if there's some sort of a virtue by showing distain for the younger generation.

And who raised the younger generation in the first place? If you want somebody to blame, look in the mirror.

Ridiclous concept.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Get off my lawn.

crashman likes this.
  17. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Ya I see what your saying they spent thousands of dollars they want their picture of Big Ben I can see that didn’t think of it that way.

18. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

Yeah but I’m 29 and have felt this way about lots of things since high school or earlier. And I’m not highly educated or well to do by any standard as pointed out earlier, with the concern about the effects my use of affect had on my post. I’m a blue collar mechanic who went straight to work after high school. Bottom line is that if you have half a brain there are some disturbing patterns in society that appear to have a strong correlation with social media/ technology in general. And the old timers on board with it are perpetuating it just as much. This wasn’t meant to be a discussion about any particular generation as much as a discussion about the direction of society as a whole. Always been easy to tell the younger generation they’re retarded. Problem is the move towards maturity seems stagnant and the older generation seems to be regressing. Even the pre Alzheimer’s ones. Like anything of this scale and nature though it’s just useless reflection and bitching about something there is no obvious solution for aside from evolution. Akin to philosophy the only thing you stand to lose is your sanity looking for answers. That’s why this belongs here with the politics. Not shit is going to change it but it feels useful to argue about it anyway.