1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

social media and the rabbit hole of affects on society

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ESmith, Aug 13, 2018.

1. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

Having a beer and a smoke on the porch while discussing politics/ societal issues with my girlfriend. We got off on a tangent while she tells me about the onslaught of thirsty guys messaging her on the facetoobs after a joking post about the irony of relationships and shit( which we bantered back and forth on.) Obviously it’s cool being able connect/ be informed and shit but the impact on culture/morals/the nuclear family and all that shit seems immeasurable. In more negative ways than positive it seems. People have always sucked at times but it seems far too easy to be a sleazy/ yellow bellied piece of trash with all of these outlets at your fingertips. (hence the societal shift) This is coming from a so called millennial but not your typical one. Maybe I’m just jaded because of my past with an ex wife after a ten year marriage ending over typical millennial snowflake behavior. But nonetheless the patterns seem obvious even down to the rise of mental illness/ overall discontent coinciding with the rise in “connectivity.” Like I said, a rabbit hole so I’m ranting but seemed like good dungeon discussion to waste time on. More than anything I’m just concerned with what kind of shit hole society my kids have to deal with/ I’m dating a girl 5 years my junior so seeing the shift is too blatant to ignore.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Male thirst (and correspondingly female ego/narcissism) on the intertoobz is nearing a critical mass level that cannot be sustainable. There's an entire generation(s?) of men out there that have not a single clue of how to properly kick it to a woman in real life but E-pray to the altar of poon all day and night on all manner of S.M. platforms.

Not that women make it much better seeing as how damn near every girl out there loads up her whatever account with thirst trap after thirst trap in an endless effort to get as many "likes" as possible to fuel that dopamine rush in her brain.....and there have been plenty of studies showing how the brain reacts to this feedback mechanism and it looks damn near similar to the response the brain gets when your take a hit of heroin.

http://www.returnofkings.com/185574...ike-instagram-to-declare-themselves-goddesses
    http://www.returnofkings.com/156287/stop-being-so-thirsty-on-instagram

(no idea how that crossed out line got there :oops: )

ESmith likes this.
  3. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

The matrix has you.

Murcielago311 and ESmith like this.
  4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's weird. Wtf?

5. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

Or maybe it has you?

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I think you’re concentrating on the negative effects of electronic communications. The positives outweigh the negatives by far. Easier to communicate, instance access to news, you’re able to edit your dialogue, and more. While I do agree that face to face communications have degraded I think people will adjust just fine.

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

And a society with their face buried in an electronic device in public.

My wife and I noticed over the weekend that most of the older crowd (35 plus?) were all talking to each other, while the younger crowds all had their head buried in their phone.

Online interactions have (IMO) led to the current state of "protesting" we have now. It's perfectly acceptable to call someone an assface over social media, but when they actually have to have a face to face conversation with someone they disagree with they only know vulgarity. This vulgarity leads to violence because they don't know how to react to a differing opinion face to face, especially when both parties are dug in on their position.

speeddaddy likes this.
  8. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

I’m from a whole generation where I feel like the men are far outnumbered by mama’s boys who talk shit and have confidence online but don’t know what it means to be a man in real life. Protests don’t ever amount to shit/ there’s no real threat to the status quo if everyone’s idea of fighting for change is being a hardass online. Another reason the younger generation are a bunch of pussies who can’t look you in the eye or shake your hand without practically cowering. I’ve had disagreements/ conflict where people want to text or message you. They about shit themselves/ hide when you even call to discuss something let alone show up and want to hash things out in person. Hell breaking up via text is along the same lines.

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The world has always been full of these people. the difference now is that the media and entertainment industry has glorified the deviants. Further social media has expanded interactions so you come in contact with more loons.

However the reality is still the same that most people are decent and just want to do well for themselves and family. Oh and ALL of them have some quirks or bad habits as they are human.

ESmith likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Another part of that is because their test levels are falling through the floor.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/2290...heir-testosterone-levels-amanda-prestigiacomo

ESmith likes this.
  11. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

I definitely agree. People as a whole by nature are similar I’d say but what concerns me is the gradual evolution/ gravitation towards idiocy. The more you associate or are a part of something even on a subconscious level it affects your outlook. I associate with older/ more mature people generally. Always have. One reason I hated school was I hated people my age. The concern comes when I spend time with people my age. I’d like to think that the younger generation will shift towards maturity like the ones prior have but there are lots of crutches/ larger majority that just won’t get it seems like. It has a lot to do with perception and the degree of entitlement I guess. The system seems created that way to keep us all a slave to it. Again maybe just my perception that is undoubtedly flawed to an extent. But who’s isn’t? You always get into trouble when dealing with generalizations or extremes so I get that.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

"Effects".

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's really affectionate of you to point that out.

14. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn’t get the full effect of my post due to my reckless grammatical error. My bad. I’ll cop out and just say impact next time for the purposes of clarification. Engrish is hard sometimes and mistakes happen. Apparently the interchangeability of affect vs effect is a slippery slope. Sort of like the topic of this post...

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Get off my lawn.

ESmith likes this.
  16. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

Was waiting for that response. Surprised it took so long. Could’ve just started with that and left it at that I suppose. That was the sentiment resonating with me as I made this post sitting on my porch.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kids never paid attention to adults anyway. Hell, the wife and I are both on facetubes when out at dinner (because we can't check other times of day) but we're sharing what we read the entire time so we are interacting about the news of the day as it were. Kids do that same thing - interacting via a device is still interaction with other humans.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're just moving closer to get offa my lawn is all.

There really isn't much different about this generation than the previous few. I've always felt the way you do about people my age.

ESmith likes this.
  19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

The "Adults" in the bar were all conversing with each other, no phones. The college "kids" all had their heads buried in their phones. The wife and I will bust out the phones from time to time to show each other shit on the interwebs, but it is not the focal point of our evening out.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is your point? The college kids were still interacting with other humans via social media. I'd also guess their evening starts later than yours so they were pregaming and not yet at the human interaction point (yep, an old fart joke) :D