1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

social media and the rabbit hole of affects on society

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ESmith, Aug 13, 2018.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Too mean :D There's nothing wrong with a value priced dinner at 4:30 PM

I'm saying interaction via social media is not the same as face to face human interaction.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get that you feel that way.

I think it's not a whole lot different. But then again, I spend the majority of my day interacting with people via social media :D

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:D

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

You stinkin' millenial.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bitch please. I was a social media mogul last century :crackup:

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yep people are less annoying when you can put them on pause.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So true.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Of course you still have people who will post a question on social media (here is included in that), then send a private message telling you they posted something, then post on another site to tell you they posted something, then email you to let you know they posted something then god forbid they can text you.... All within usually 5 minutes :D

Riders Discount likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why didn't you answer the phone?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because I hate people.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Works for me.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

See my avatar... :D

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Where were that all the adults were talking to each other? What's the context? Family BBQ? At a bar? Church? Subway? At a bar I notice people on their phones. On a subway nobody even looks at each other and is buried in their phones. You're right though, technology has allowed people to be more "woke" than they were 10 years ago; information is instantaneous. Do you want to go back to the time when we had to wait for a copy of RRW to show up to find out who won the 500 GP race? Nowadays we can go online and watch it live, talk about with people from other countries while it's happening, and then spoil it for other people that don't know the results. I am taking an elective right now called Technology and Society and it covers this exact discussion. Are we better off with technology? How has society been affected? Pretty eye-opening.
    [​IMG]

418 likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You have a valid point on commuting or other times when peeps rarely speak. However, in situations where people used to converse face to face, you now see folks communicating with others not there rather than interacting with the people there. It is a choice, but some of my duaghter's FB/Instagram/Twitter addicted friends come across are tards when you try to converse.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

People on public transportation is not a social activity, sitting in a restaurant is.
    Before the advent of cell phones, everybody wasn't sitting at the tables reading a newspaper.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I love the people who pay for a wedding, or a degree, or whatever and then watch the event through the screen of a phone as they record it.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Or a concert.

I don't suppose I can say much. I witnesses much of my daughter's youth through a video recorder.

18. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Google image search "selfie dead grandmother" if you want a nice hefty dose of I WANT OFF THIS PLANET

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Photographs of dead children were popular in the US at one time.

screenshot-www.bbc.com-2018.08.14-22-08-27.png

sheepofblue likes this.