1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Himalayan?

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one, he likes it..says it is "down on power"...he has several bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles in the saddle of them and past bikes..

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this bike is awesome doing anything! Nothing breaks, nothing stops working, it tours well, very good daily commuter, it’s good off road with proper tires, the DCT is the best thing to happen to motorcycles in a long long time. Very fast on pavement in technical curves. Only the 21” front wheel holds it back some on pavement but trust me it’ll embarrass sport bikes on the same roads with 94 hp. It’s a Honda and if you don’t like problems or bullshit going on this is it.

Attached Files:

cha0s#242 and ducnut like this.
  4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

One of mine and Dave riding partners has a new AT.. he loves it.. but it is a Honda... :)
    (It is a cool ass bike).

roy826ex likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Once you have cruise control, you’ll be really hard-pressed to ride anything long distances without it, especially as you age. It sure makes the miles roll by.

I’ve been through Chattanooga a few times on mine. If I can remember, I’ll hit you up next time. We can head over into NC for the day.

turner38 likes this.
  6. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I just got a Street glide with cruise control . Holy shit , I’m hooked . I can finally take selfies , text and drink coffee while riding .

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

CruiseControl on my UltraClassic had me sitting on the tour pac long straight stretch on I-10...I was bored...

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Cruise control goes from a luxury to really helpful aid/almost necessity on long rides when you have carpal tunnel and have to shake your hands out every other minute. I won’t buy my next tour/ADV bike without it.

Don’t say throttle lock, to me that’s just sketchy as hell.

ducnut likes this.
  9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I agree on Cruise control. I used to not need it but now with carpal tunnel in my right hand which falls asleep on extended rides. I’ve had the left hand repaired but just can’t/won’t slow down long enough to get the right hand fixed.

Having said all that I do have a Kaoko throttle lock on my Africa Twin and it works pretty darn good as it should for the price they charge for them.

If I jump to the 2020 Africa Twin it’ll have cruise control along with car play plus navigation all in one setup. :)

10. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Loving my ATAS, so glad I got it.

I have a Go Cruise throttle thing that I store on the bike but haven't used it other than trying it out in the garage when I bought it.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

throttlelockthrottlelockthrottlelock.:D Works for me and tends to keep me awake. Cruise ain't no cure for CT, get that fixed, you'll love it.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

+whatever to go-cruise
    But skip the cheapo plastic version and get the aluminum with tension screw.

jrsamples likes this.
  13. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Anyone going to Baja this spring? Going with a friend 3/10-31. Any meet up would be cool. On the throttle lock the guy I went with last year had an Atlas that he liked a lot. If I can get it into my budget I'll have one on for this trip. There's so much straight asphalt in BC although we are planning some sand and dirt.

14. duggram

Last spring I had bilateral CT when I went to Baja and I was in constant pain. Just after that I had bilateral endoscopic CT releases. I was back to almost normal the next day and not a bit of pain since.

roy826ex likes this.
  15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

3/11-3/16. Departing San Diego to ensenada then... I don't know the rest of our itinerary. But i have a return flight on the 16th to catch.

16. duggram

PM sent.

Here's a link to my RR from last year. Not sure if I've posted it here or not, but sure is cool to check it out again and review the memories.

acorn27 likes this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I wore a Sedici adventure style jacket a couple years ago, but needed to replace it after the damage it got in my accident. I t-boned an SUV, flying over the bars and hit my head/shoulder on the pillar/window behind the rear door. The only damage to me was some wonky head stuff, a sore shoulder and a cut on my lower torso as something on my bike cut through my jacket at my skin. So, the jacket seemed to protect me and was comfortable/practical to use, but I really didn't like the way the zip-in rain liner worked. The one time I rode through a downpour, the outer layer completely soaked through, then started pouring rain into my waterproof gloves. Afterwards I realized I could have run my gloves inside my jacket, but I d

I really wanted to try one with built in-waterproofness. For that, I started to really bump up my budget from the $200 to over $400 range. I was about to bite the bullet on one, when I ran across the RST jacket at sportbiketrackgear. It seemed to have good ventilation built in, around a waterproof midlayer sewn in. I've had it a couple weeks now and I love it. It's a very well built jacket, and at $150 it's a crazy bargain. If you're a WERA racer, it's substantially cheaper than that. I can't wait to see how it does when it's warmer and rainy, but for now I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rst-pro-series-paragon-v-textile-jacket/

ducnut likes this.
  18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That is a killer deal. I wish that I was in the market for a new jacket, but I just waterproofed my current jacket and don't have any complaints to resolve. However, I might have to dig into the couch cushions for this one just to have standing by.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, I finally found my DR over in West Virginia. By chance my nephew happened to live 20 miles from the guy so I sent him the money and he picked it up yesterday. I probably won't get over there for a month so I can't say much about it, other than it was a good deal. My nephew took it for a spin and said he's buying one now too! Looking forward to doing some trail riding in WV and Kentucky (and roads beyond).

[​IMG]

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Dave Searle, of Motorcycle Consumer News, did a DR650 buildup, some years ago. He addressed everything, including big bore, headwork, suspension, etc. I’m not sure if the articles are archived somewhere online or not.

rd400racer likes this.