1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, wait....Hate crime laws don't work?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by L8 Braker, Mar 20, 2017.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

WTF is a hate crime :confused:

3. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

depends on who you ask.

i know at least some people hate crime.

speeddaddy likes this.
  4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The better question is "what is a love crime?"

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

NAMBLA

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

It's hard to get hit with a hate crime enhancement charge, and harder to prove in court. Not surprised there are so few convictions.

7. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

an oxymoron

lol

heres one you should know. what is correct answer to every legal question?

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Obama's fault.

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Pfft. Idtio. Clearly it was Bush's fault. Obama just heard about it on CNN.

cav115 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It should be hard, it's absolutely moronic to classify things as hate crimes and pretend they're harder on the victims than the regular version of the crime.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Not surprised at all, just another example of politicians creating another BS 'feel good' law that doesn't produce positive effects.

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Hang on, someone saying the dissuasive nature of punishment have no effect on crime?

No way dude! That's capital nonsense!....

13. mtcam77

mtcam77 Well-Known Member

100% correct. Hate crime statutes represent the successful implementation of thought policing. You can get charged additionally if you were thinking something some believe you shouldn't when you commit an act rather than simply being charged for the act.
    The idea that punishing someone greater for what they are thinking will somehow effect how people think is nonsense.

Ian178 likes this.
  14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Made up BS. It's on the same level of stupid as men "identifying" as women and all of sudden people start calling him a she.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. beac83

Hate Crime charges require documented words and/or actions of the perpertrators while or immediately before/after they commit the crime. In court, you need to show animus to get a conviction.

Thought policing it is not.

And before you get your tighty whities all in a bunch, I agree that the bar for pressing hate crime charges by a prosecutor should be high.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  16. mtcam77

If what you described is not evidence of what someone was thinking (animus), what do you think it is?

an·i·mus
    ˈanəməs/
    noun
    1. 1.
      hostility or ill feeling.
      "the author's animus toward her"
    2. 2.
      motivation to do something.
      "the reformist animus came from within the Party"

17. beac83

In court, you need to show intent, coupled with action. That is not punishing thought.

18. mtcam77

Again, intent is what is in one's mind ergo: thought. Sorry, can't get around that. Just because some (or many) would like to change how people think or feel about certain groups does not make it okay to add criminal punishments for have those feelings or thought while committing a crime. I realize those in those groups would like to think that somehow it will cause a change in the actions but, it is still punishing what is in ones mind.

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

True but to me, that is problematic. Punishment should be based on what is fact, which means actions only. Once you begin to punish for psyche you get into a very gray area with a lot of room for interpretation and abuse.

Ian178 likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Not interpretation. Projection.