1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipper Comparison

Discussion in 'Tech' started by steadyeddie, Jul 31, 2009.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

That is same as I found. number 3) is problem, once you put thicker washer that will reduce to 1.25mm and it will work as designed. number 2) will stay same.
    Number 3) has to be smaller than number 2) or it will wear plate.

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Zoran, did u replace the washers with ones that were 1.6mm thick or did you stack them?

3. TWF2

Replaced with ~1.5mm washers.

4. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Zoran- I understand what you are saying, but my opinion, it is the 1.25mm that is important and not where it lifts. Maybe 1.0mm would be even better.

Pic.

[​IMG]

5. TWF2

I think it is only important that 1.25 does not get to small, like under .6 or so, 1mm is good.
    All it does is control how soon clutch will lift. With less clearance you go in slipper mode sooner.

6. TWF2

That wear on plate where hub is contacting is bad thing. It goes back and forth rubbing against it like arrow shows. Reason that wear is uneven and wide. I am pretty sure that adds a lot of heat in plate and maybe reason for wear where friction plate contacts.

Attached Files:

7. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

But the gap also controls how high the plate is lifted. Maybe 1.5mm is pretty marginal and not enough oil is able to get between the plates. Maybe at 1.5mm it slips but creates too much drag and can't "cycle" on/off. Also I see what you are saying about the lift point. Funny that the end of the hub does not wear but the plate does, so that points to the anodizing. But there are plenty of clutches out there using that lift method. I don't know... maybe its just a "perfect storm" of a couple minor things adding up to big problems.

8. TWF2

I don't think so. I think plate lifts same amount, it is just hub that has to travel longer before lifting it, to get to it. From time hub touches plate there is only little lift, just enough to break plates.
    All older good working clutches had plate lifted under, not at point you have there. And that is only thing I changed, made contact point under. It seems to work so far.

9. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

That's all that matters in the end. :beer:

10. TWF2

Yep, just need it to work :)
    That plate you have is still good, I would put thicker washer under, I bet it will stop wearing.

11. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Interesting how this issue seems to be SV specific. I pulled my CBR600RR Yoyo clutch this afternoon to inspect it...no wear anywhere except a little in the channels that the ramp ball-bearings run in. It has several race weekends and track days on it.

12. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Not long ago there was a guy on here selling his Yoyo clutch from a litre bike ( iirc ). The surface had absolutely no anodizing left. He said it was normal and working fine. Anyways, it wasn't an SV clutch.

13. TWF2

Post picture of plate, I think it is different design.
    Your old one you posted picture off at beginning of thread looks like it was lifting with edge of hub. It was worn out. Our old ones have been in motor for over 3 years with no sign of wear, they look like new.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

which 433A4? what's the screw diameter?

15. TWF2

10mm

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

thanks..:up:

17. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Understood...

Yeah...my old one was toast. I assumed it was due to improper maintenance. I had run it for a while not realizing it was slipping pretty badly. Of course, I haven't taken the time to understand how these things work, so I could be way off.

I didn't take a picture of my new one, unfortunately.

18. TWF2

Maybe that was it, however your hub shows wear at contact point.
    Also your hub is worn out where friction contacts, something we don't have on sv's, we wear out plates.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything more about a fix for the troubles they were having? Any chance that improved slippers for the SV will be made for the upcoming season?
    Thanks--

20. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

I just received a note from Neil at Sigma. He feels that there is nothing wrong with my pressure plate, but is sending a new (improved?) one to me. I had asked him awhile ago about the rumor he is working on a 'race clutch' for the SV but he hasn't been very forthcoming with info. Some guys in the UK are having the same issue so who knows.

As for Yoyodyne, Fred is completely ignoring me. I guess I'll have to start phoning every day!