1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipper Comparison

Discussion in 'Tech' started by steadyeddie, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Shawn, give Marbod a call, the guy he gets his Ti bolts from likely has the washers you will need. The fastener guy he uses is in Burnaby.

2. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

While I appreciate the tip, I would prefer not to deal with Marbod. If you know the name of the supplier let me know.

3. steadyeddie

Zoran, post up after the weekend on your results. I assume you will be on the track this weekend?

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yea, I be there. Will do.

5. TWF2

Well, just took plate out after Fontana race yesterday. I did 2 practice sessions and 2 races. Bike worked great and had no problem with slipper yesterday. This track has long straight and after shifting in 6th I go uphill, up to top of banking to get ready for turn one. If there is any slipping on acceleration it should show here under load in 6th gear. I had none. Plate still looks just like first day I put it in. No wear or any sign of it. Keep in mind I am running with 1.5mm spacers under main spring buttons for less spring pressure (stock springs).
    So far all good.

Attached Files:

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Good news........!

7. steadyeddie

I'll say! I will return to stock springs and see what happens. Probably won't shim under buttons though. As a side note, I sent my sigma pressure plate back to Neil for inspection. Can't wait to see what he has to say. Now I have to get back on Yoyo's case to see if something can be done ( snowball in hell?!?).

8. TWF2

I got another race weekend on end of month, will do same again and post.
    Shawn, you don't have to run spacers under buttons, I did it on purpose.
    I would run stock springs, my bike makes good power and I don't have any slipping on acceleration.

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Zoran,
    You think the 1.6mm shims/washers which are pushing the pressure plate by the spring bosses (instead of the outside hub) are possibly getting the plate farther out and releasing a bit more tension (friction) off the plate to stop the wearing???

10. TWF2

I don't have clue why simple washer fixed problem (if it did as it looks so far) but I am pretty sure plate should not be lifted where it was on worn out plates. It just makes no sense to have metal on metal rubbing like that so any way you look at it they screwed up. They should at least acknowledge that fuck up.

11. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Your joking, right? Yoyodyne ran from this full speed after the "rider abuse" and improper springs claim didn't work. You can probably find them hiding under a rock somewhere. :crackup:

12. TWF2

I bet they never looked at it as possible problem. Now thinking back how can they miss that hub is contacting at wrong place. Even with their theory of abuse and slipping there would never be contact there. If it is worn out and gap gone it would still contact on washer and not outside plate. They ignored obvious, they should have know this first time plate showed this.

13. steadyeddie

Not joking. I told him I would not let this go. If Zorans mods actually cure this, I will keep going as long as I can. I'm a stubborn ass and believe a f***up should be rectified. I've already paid through the nose for my Yoyo clutch so persistance will cost me nothing more.

By the way Zoran, nice result this weekend:up:.

14. TWF2

You don't have to wait for me, like I said, aluminum rubbing against aluminum is not how thing is designed. That is why you have steel washer there.
    Good luck :)

15. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

You are persistent and I'm glad you haven't given up. I bet they cringe everytime they log on and see this thread back at the top. If there is one thing I can not stand, it is POOR customer service. Especially when you pay good money for something. I was going to put a slipper in my new Buell until I learned Harley was getting them from Yoyodyne. Never Again for me.... The way I look at it, they already stole enough money from me by not backing their product.

16. steadyeddie

Can you imagine what he is saying under his breath every time I call him?

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

105 hp!

18. TWF2

On KC's dyno :D

19. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

More data

I finally have a Yoyo-equipped SV here. It is the "black" plate version, and exhibits "some" wear. I rigged up a dial indicator and started taking some measurements.

1) The amount the slipper hub lifts on the ramps from bottomed out to topped out is 3.0mm.

2) With a clutch pack of std. thickness the gap from the end of the hub to the pressure plate is 1.5mm.

3) With the above clutch pack the gap from the hub spring washer to the bottom of the pressure plate spring pocket is 1.75mm.

Conclusion A: This slipper works by lifting the pressure plate via contact with the end of the hub. Both the measurements and visuals confirm this. (wear mark on the pressure plate)

4) The total lift of a stock, properly adjusted clutch pressure plate is 1.5mm.

5) The amount of pressure plate lift required to make the clutch start to slip (forcing the rear wheel by hand) is only .5mm.

Conclusion B: I have no idea. :D The slipper hub does use 50% of its travel before it contacts the pressure plate. The remaining travel (1.5mm) "should" be more than enough to completely disengage the clutch. However, Zoran's findings indicate that it likes less clearance to work properly.

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm curious. Can u post pics of the wear on the pressure plate?