1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Singles anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'd think so, a buddy of mine has a raptor motor in a highly modified FZR100 frame. Frame became the gas tank. :)

2. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

you know anything can be done... :up:

3. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

The KTM looks like a good ride that wouldn't need a ton of cash poured into it. Anyone here race one? What is Cohorn on? John is damn fast but his single ain't bad either.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

John races a Husaberg. I think it's like 1900cc.;)

5. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Yamaha yzf450 dirtbike converted to roadracing or yzf250 in custom frame. Both available for around $10k to $16k. Been winning AHRMA races with singles since 08, Troy Walker was most recent winner this year with the 250yzf (more like a slaughter, or shooting fish in a barrel).
    The engines are RELIABLE, VERY RELIABLE - like two seasons reliable - we are still racing with the engine we ran last year at WERA Barber gnf 4 hour endurance (with ONLY oil changes, no adjustment of ANYTHING engine related).
    Don't listen to many people about this subject - WAY too many have no idea (and I'm not sure why either, very simple and reliable if you keep things basic and oem)

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

The 250 motor is better than the 450, or is the engine size limited in that class?

7. g maloney

Im not sure what classes each is legal for. I just figure it out when we get to the track with whatever bike. Whatever AHRMA class we enter, we win.
    Not sure why the 250 is better than the 450, or what you mean by that statement.
    Both sizes are great fun with the org and VERY competitive in multiple classes.

8. dtalbott

Only class I ran with WERA was Clubman, and singles were unlimited cc. I just figured the 450 would be stronger/faster than the 250.

9. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

This is my attempt. Under 300lbs, vicinity of high seventies HP and less stressed than a 450.
    On going project.
    DSS, DSB, Clubman.
    If I wasn't so old I could also bump up to all the SV classes.
    The pic is from a CCS race. Most of those are SVs behind me.

I would love to see what the bike could do with a fast rider.

Attached Files:

10. dtalbott

The second picture says you are fast enough.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He didn't say they were on the same lap.

12. grady anderson

Nice......
    Jump over to the Juicy butt thread and leave me alone. :moon:

13. grady anderson

Thank you but I mean somebody who is not turning 63 in ten days ;)

14. grady anderson

Closer up shots.

Attached Files:

15. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

That's cool. What is it?

I'd love a KTM 690 powered supersport... R6 chassis might still be too heavy, but it'd be a start.

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The Honda CRF250 motor in the moriwaki does not inspire the use of the word "reliable". Have you put a kid on yours long term to see what happens?

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Im not sure about road racing but in MX and off road the Yamaha(5 valve head) is way way more reliable.

18. g maloney

Kerry Kling popped the valve cover off the yzf250 we ran in the 4 hr endurance race, gnf, barber 2013. He begged to see just how bad it was in comparison to the Honda engine. The valves were spot on - he was baffled how perfect it looked. Please note I am still running the same engine this year, with plans to go to the 2014 gnf with no mechanical engine service. Oh yeah, bone stock the yzf250 is faster too (from my experience). No need for a kid in the saddle to see what happens (although ive had a couple), I've had more than a few top names and development riders giving it hard laps at least a couple times each month. Yamaha yzf250 = RELIABLE.

19. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I am running a YZ450 super single and it's a blast. It's been perfectly reliable for two seasons and going strong, valves are still perfect - I check them a lot but they are always fine, and I have been running big tracks like Fontana, Vegas, and Miller. It's all kinds of fun to ride, lightweight with lots of torque and a relatively comfortable (for me) seating position. Also it gets a lot of attention at the track.

It's gorgeous and well-sorted and I might even consider selling it since there is nothing left to do to it (it was a fun project to get it ready to race)... but it would be expensive. :)

20. grady anderson

2013 KTM 690 Duke
    with a couple of select minor mods