1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should be use the Blue flag?

Discussion in 'General' started by cbrf4 269, Jan 1, 2002.

1. cbrf4 269

cbrf4 269 New Member

I currently race Wera and CCS and I think it would be a good idea to start using the blue flag. I know that when I started racing, and I was a back marker, I would of liked to know that the fast boys are coming through.

I think this will allow the slower traffic to know that the front runners are coming. It will increase saftey and make a better race. I know when I am running up front there is nothing more frustrating than a back marker that kills your drive and you end up loosing a place or two.

2. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I don't think they should myself. I've always been taught to hold my line if if I'm being lapped/passed. Most people, if they know they're being lapped, will alter their line to avoid the front runners making for a very dangerous situation. And the lappers are normally going at a much higher pace than the lappees. Just my opinion.

3. PKS Racing Services

PKS Racing Services Timing and Crewing

I do not believe we should start using the blue flag. As an ex-SCCA corner worker, including Pro events, it's difficult enough to learn to use the blue flag correctly when you use it all of the time. Not only that, but if you're going to use it properly, you just about need a designated blue flagger, and rarely do we have the people to spare on a turn. You cannot be an effective yellow flagger and blue flag at the same time.

In every sanctioning body I have ever been involved with, the slower rider is taught to maintain their line, while the faster rider is responsible for the passng move. If you follow the guidelines, I don't see a problem.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think there a good reasons both for and against the blue flag. As stated above, the last thing you want to do is panic the poor guy taking a Sunday afternoon ride in the middle of a race and make him even more unpredictable. At the same time, some slower riders are still very smart about where to be on the racetrack, and having them react to a blue flag by maybe slowing down a little down a straight, or something similar, could make the different in a championship outcome.

It would also be a good thing in combined races when Novices catch slower Experts.

5. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Sure is a pretty flag though [​IMG]

6. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't think it really has a place in motorcycle racing, especially at the club level. Also, there are some logistical problems if you used it with bikes. It's not like the cars can come 3+ wide down the straight-aways, (or even in a corner) like motorcycles can do. And if you get blue flagged, that means you might adjust your positioning/line in a way that might endanger other people. If you're fast enough to be running up front, you're fast enough to get around the back-markers. (Being a back-marker, I am eminently qualified to speak on these matters) [​IMG]

7. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I'm right there with you... nice to know we can now be considered "experts" at some aspect of racing.

8. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

I agree, let the passer do the passing. (less work for me [​IMG])

9. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

I don't think a passing flag is nacessary but a minimum speed should be enforced. I know this is club racing but you should not be learning to ride and racing at the same time. Learn to ride first then race.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How do you enforce a minimum speed?

11. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

anyone slower than my sorry butt gets laughed off the track and has to sit in the cab of tardholio's truck with him after bean-soup night. [​IMG]

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i dont like it. before you know it, somebody will have one mounted on my bike and i will see it from the time i get on till i get off. i dont need any more distractions. next thing you know, we will have to use the purple flag. and cuck will have to explain it every weekend

13. SpongeBob WeaselPants

There used to be something in the rulebook about being really slow. I think it was lap times 1.5 of the leader or some other percentage. If somebody really is dangerous to others, you can be sure the race director will pull them off.

If they're slow and hold their line, and your competitor gets around them but YOU don't, that doesn't mean they're a hazard... it means You Suck [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-01-2002).]

14. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

Why not just throw an Avalanche in the middle of a straight? That'll sort 'em out.

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

your not to bright. the aztec is the proper car for that

16. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

sorry, i only knew it was one of them ugly beasts.

17. SpongeBob WeaselPants

I'm in favor of one of those GP running starts, but make everybody run a lap in gear, then jump on the bike. The smokers will all die by turn two, and old, slow farts like me will have a shot at a good finish

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

To enforce that, you'd need electronic timing. How do you enforce 1.5 times as slow without transponders? Aren't scorers busy enough? Do you make cornerworkers time riders? I don't really see that as a workable deal.

A well-thrown blue flag at Summit in October could have been the difference between me winning a championship and not. I'm not using it as an excuse: I was too polite to a slower expert rider, the guy in second place took us both. He won fair and square. But I can certainly see why others would support using blue flags. You feel there's no need for them until something happens to you.

19. SpongeBob WeaselPants

I only saw sthe race director think of enforcing it once. The scorekeepers don;t keep time, but he put a watch on a very slow rider. Never pulled her off: she was slow but not a hazard.
    It's one of those little rules that can be used at the discretion of the RD if there's safety problems. At least from what I've seen, when they're that slow they either quit or speed up in a hurry.

20. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Enforcing minimum speeds would'nt be difficult without transponders. It really only takes two stop watches to figure out, everyone knows who the leader is and it's not hard to see who's off the pace. I'm all for encouraging new racers but it does seem like a lot of people think racing bikes is a good way to learn to ride. I've read many a thread were someone just learned to ride or just got thier first bike and everyone advises them to learn to ride as they race. This could be why some of the novice groups have such great reputations. If a rider can't ride with-in 115-120% of the leaders time maybe they should do a few more track/practice days before racing.