1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up geometry

Discussion in 'Tech' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 8, 2024.

1. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

I have the Graves shock shim kit and it makes adjusting rear ride height very quick. He has my bike pretty high in both the front and the rear. Not sure on shock length but I know I have a 7mm shim in there.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  2. khill

khill Well-Known Member

So much to unpack here, but from experience a few things come up.

- Regardless of tire brand, find a know baseline setup (which you have done) and start with that.
    - Understand the working envelope of your bike, for the suspension brand you are on. Ex: if you are on XX fork spring and no one else is - there may be an issue.
    - Record every change you make and listen to ONE voice.
    - Do you understand how to download and interpret what the bike is doing? Riders need to be trained for what the bike is doing, or have a person that asks the right questions.
    - @rmracing is correct, solid geometry is first.
    - Are your riding techniques consistent? Are you giving the bike the correct inputs to get clean data?
    - Do you have data?

Unless your bike is a wobbling POS, proper riding techniques can go a long. way. I have personally witnessed riders I've coached on stock bikes come within 3-4 seconds of track records, with race tires. Or, taking a freshly delivered Graves R6 in testing and break track records with nothing more than a minor fork spring change.

Ken

KneeDragger_c69 and TurboBlew like this.
  3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Thank you good Sir for your input.

There is always place for riding improvement, since I am not born with this talent, and learned it on my own (short of speak) Never attendanded a high level training school, or even decent for that matter lol

I do not have Data Acquisition either. A simple ZX6R '23 with a very well build by KWS.