1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrape Mark on Van: Bullet?

Discussion in 'General' started by cBJr, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I was going with what D-Zum said. IF it were a bullet, then it was one shot from far away and just hit the truck by random chance as it succumbed to gravity. (Which I assume happens plenty in that God forsaken city.) Dang odd place for a rock to have hit it with that kind of force and in that direction.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The pattern seems too engineered to be a rock. I wouldn't discount a stripped, broken bolt like, maybe, a piece of wheel stud.

The Todd likes this.
  3. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

That mark is a funny shaped bullet mark? C'mon man LOL

4. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'd say definitely not a bullet, but could be a piece of metal like a lugnut. Have actually had 2 vehicles hit by bullets driving through Chicago. Hey Sean, ask Ev if she remembers coming back from the GNF in '86. Got hit on the Ryan around 35th street. That one had a long streak that started at head level at the leading edge of the sliding door, and ended with a perfectly round 'pocket' where it stopped. No penetration. Pretty sure it was from an overpass. The other was an actual puncture on the pillar, and it left the round inside the body of the car (we heard it bump down inside the body).

The Todd likes this.
  5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

22 WMR will overrotate and destabilize with a 1:10 with most standard loadings.

But maybe that's why it didn't penetrate.

The plot thickens.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Stay clear of shitbumville.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I had a customer get hit by lightning on the hi h highway on their passenger a pillar. Killed the car a it looked like a spot weld on the car.

I'd say rock did it.

8. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the DC sniper days...thats pretty scary

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I thought you were say they were gonna remake the movie Bullet with Brian Van as the lead

10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

It’s from a white van!

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bullitt

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I hear the story every time we talk about driving in Chicago or shootings in Chicago :D

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Where at on 294? Was it through a construction zone?

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

IIRC, I was driving and she was in the passenger seat, and it was head level. We didn't stop until we got back to Barnard's house, and then saw what it was.....then I had to listen to Buzz rag on me for 5 years that he let me drive his van and I brought it back damaged. Guess things haven't changed in Chicago much since 1984.

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

294=Construction zone :D
    You should really know better :D

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Not a bullet. Some piece that fell on the road and got kicked up.

17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OP, if you are seeking street cred, just buy a few of these stickers and apply.

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

That it is not unrealistic to be a gun shot shows how nutty things are.

https://heyjackass.com/ nice site keeping track of the fun.

Chi shooter.JPG

19. sdg

sdg *

Ditto

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think there's basically no chance it was a bullet. The abrupt line at the end of the scrape doesn't really line up with sample images I've found of sheet metal ricochets, nor does it make sense that it would slide to a stop on the sheet metal, then bounce off. I'm sure an actual bullet would have a more uniform exit scrape and/or actually tear the sheet metal.

I saw the uniform grooves that dug into the van, and think I just let my imagination get the best of me. After having the idea that a bullet was that close to my wife's head, it was hard to be objective.

Gorilla George likes this.