1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrape Mark on Van: Bullet?

Discussion in 'General' started by cBJr, Aug 6, 2021.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Driving through Chicago on I-294 last Thursday, my wife and I heard a crazy loud noise of something hitting our van. It was a little disorienting, but I thought it may have been something metallic hitting a window or something, as it had a bit of a metallic twang to it. I thought maybe one of my side/rear windows was broken out (since they were all covered by window shades and couldn't see the glass from inside) but didn't notice anything. I just went out to my van and found what looks like a bullet mark to me. Do you agree?

van1r.jpg van2r.jpg van3r.jpg van4r.jpg

2. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

Obviously I'm no authority here, but, it looks more like some other kind of projectile Perhaps? Good thing the damage wasn't worse and you're OK.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Didn't penetrate so there's that but I think you got pelleted or bb shot.
    A little too coincidental that it aligns with the passenger's head. :eek:

5axis and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well it's Shitcago so in todays world that's not a bullet wound...it's a love mark.

The Todd likes this.
  5. I wouldnt think so.

Any bullet would have went through there. A door makes good concealment, but not good cover.

ToofPic, The Todd and Sabre699 like this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Could have been a bullet with very low energy. My guess would be a small piece of road debris, maybe someone is shooting the freeway with a sling shot or something as well...

Glad you didnt get hit in the window and break something.

sdg and noles19 like this.
  7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

whatever it was, it hit at a very shallow angle.

5axis likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dammit, I missed again.

9. Maybe a 115g 9mm round, shot up, that just so happened to catch his door on the way down with nothing more than the force of gravity pushing it. :D

10. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

Chicago suburb resident here. Probably not a bullet. I've seen truck lug nuts fly off, seen all kinds of debris kicked up. 500k miles in the last thirty years. All kinds of dents on my trucks.

You need to realize, if someone was shooting at you, they would have hit you. Residents around here have good aim.

Newyork and The Todd like this.
  11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Weird place for road debris, I'd say a pellet gun, or bullet from way far away going slowly.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Rifling looks like it's a .22, at first glance .22LR, but closer inspection probably the more rare .22WMR, shot out of a 4-5" barrel handgun with a 1in10 twist rate.

...or it's a rock

Gorilla George, Jed and rice r0cket like this.
  13. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Lug nut

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I can see how you might get those two confused.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rock.

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Scissors.

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Paper.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Scissors!

On a more serious note. When I google this

"chicago random highway shootings"

Tells me that may indeed be a bullet that was in the latter part of it's trajectory path and minus enough velocity to puncture, but enough to get your attention and leave mark.

I'm working with some guys from Illinois now....they f*cking HATE Chicago.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Rubbers

20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

If you blow up the third picture in that series.., it looks like the footprint left by Neil Armstrong when he landed on the Moon . So it’s most likely the work of Aliens. Illegal or Not ! :D