1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on my trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, Mar 18, 2014.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I plan on scrubbing everything top to bottom first and foremost. Not that its all that dirty. Its actually pretty clean and well maintained. Figure a clean up will give me a chance to learn it.

Do the a/c units dissasemble easily to clean coils etc?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

You can clean the exchanger inside. Thats where all the dander/dust will collect. :Puke:

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Germaphobe are we?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, just pop the cover off from outside.

5. ACDNate

Another thing I need to do is weigh the thing. It's titled as an empty haulmark elite ii cargo trailer. The PO wasn't really sure on what it weighed. The only info from Haulmark I can find is an old pdf of a brochure that says curb weight of 3280lbs.

Axles are only rated for 7k lbs total so I can't imagine as it sits it weighs much more than 5000 lbs empty w/o water. Am I off in my thinking on this in relation to the axle rating?

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Before the buildout, it weighed 3000 or a couple hundred over 3000.

7. ACDNate

A few new pics.

Pulled it to the house with a buddy's 2500.
    [​IMG]

Squatted the rear of his truck about an inch and a half or so. Of course his rear shocks are about 15yrs old and have a lot of miles on them. Also I'll be ditching the generator on the tongue and moving the tire into the in-floor spare tire well in the trailer to move some weight off the tongue.

[​IMG]

Awning is in decent shape. Has a bit of fraying on one corner but should be serviceable for some time.

[​IMG]

Interior is where some cleanup and work will need to be done. PO painted it for some reason. Part of it that is. Flooring is in good shape, just dirty.

I did run through the electrical a bit when I got it to the house. I have one mystery switch I haven't identified the function of yet. Everything else works. The house battery won't take a charge but I figured on replacing it anyway. Optima still a good deep cycle?

A/C blows cold but is filthy. Electric tongue jack is the cats meow.

Will get to plumbing run through eventually. Want to locate a near by dump station or wait until the grass dries up enough that I can pull over next to my house pump grinder and dump in there.

I did get one suprise, the guy I bought it from had all the original paperwork for everything in the trailer. Even has the design plans that came from Haulmark when it was ordered. The conversion was in fact done by Haulmark (or at least a Haulmark dealer with the letterhead).

Cleanup starts tomorrow

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't put the spare in the hole in the floor. Last thing you want to do is unload the trailer in the middle of the night on the side of the road to get to it. It's a good hidey hole for other stuff you don't use often or will only use when you're unloaded.

9. ACDNate

Ah good point. GOing to have to see if it's accessible with the trailer loaded. It is in a good spot, close to the front area where the cabinets etc are so I think it will be accessible, but we'll see.

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Mount the spare low on the rear ramp door. Much easier to get to.

11. ACDNate

Got to dig into the trailer some more today. Started cleaning all the crap that was left in it out.

[​IMG]

The PO had added furniture and a cabinet that weighed a ton and had dozens of screws in it. For some odd reason I don't understand he moved the left bed back about 2' so 2' of the frame isn't attached to the wall. Also He mounted an old solid door to the right bed so he could remove the bed frame and use it for some purpose.

All that had to go. I probably pulled 300+ pounds of crap out of the thing today.

[​IMG]

After pulling everything out I found that the right (in pic) window appears to be allowing some water in below it. I scraped back some paint and rotted paneling in the pic above.

So that being said the plan is to pull the beds/hinges off the walls and pull the paneling from the rear to the cabinets on the left side and the full right side to inspect/replace insulation where damp, reseal the windows, and then replace the paneling with something clean and w/o 12 billion screw holes in it.

What should I redo the walls with? Are there any vinyl products that would work?

Battery isn't holding a charge so I took a look to see what was in there.

[​IMG]

Hmm that doesn't look like it belongs.

Any recommendation for a replacement battery?

12. ACDNate

Ah yeah good idea. :up:

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

so now its in the way.

14. roy826ex

In the way of what? Its on the outside of the door. :rolleyes:

Please think things out before hitting the reply button. :D

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You didn't specify outside.

16. roy826ex

Sorry, I thought that was a no brainer. :cool:

17. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

that thing looks good (externally anyway)

2 6volt golfkart batts if you have room. they generally provide more Amphours. add a 120w solar panel & controller to them. they will last much much longer and always be ready.

if their in the cabin, you might want to replace with AGM(s) they cost more but no out-gassing. LifeLine brand is top of the class here. I have one and after three years it still holds 12.8v for weeks when not used.

edit: Optima quality has gone down hill in a big way lately, I'd avoid them. learned about this after buying one for a starting batt. and it stablizes @ 12.5 overnight and even lower if not charged for a week. a search on RV forums will confirm this.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

apparently with no brain i didn't get it. :)

19. ACDNate

Thanks. Current battery is under the sink in an enclosure vented to the outside of the trailer. Will look at both options you mentioned. Do the golf cart batteries require a vent?

20. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

depends on if it is a FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) or Sealed (SLA) flooded batts (the ones that have caps that you can remove to add water) require vents. some SLA do and some do not (depends on if they are truly "sealed" or just have sealed caps but still have vents) AGMs are a type of sealed but really the next step up from standard sealed type, they do not require vents at all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014