1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on my trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, Mar 18, 2014.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

So I stumbled into a deal on a trailer/camper through a buddy. His FIL inherited a Class A and was left with a trailer/camper to get rid of.

It's a 2002 Haulmark Elite II race trailer. 22' box(24 ish ' overall). He's been living out of it for a few months at a time while he traveled with work. Solid trailer he was hauling his jeep cherokee in. I'll be undoing some of his "furniture" mods he did to make it more livable full time.

Everything works but it does need some general cleanup and adjustments to suit how I want it. Even though everything works, i want to run through the electrical and plumbing systems to make sure everything is solid.

Anyone have any advice/direction on what I should be looking at in doing a good once over everything?

Keep in mind I know a little less than nothing about campers as this is my first.

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Turn everything on. If it works, then don't mess with it. As long as there are no leaks in the water systems or shorts in the electrical systems, then preventative maintenance is pretty hard to do on that stuff.

3. ACDNate

If it works leave it alone??? That's like saying don't work on your bike :crackup:

4. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

22' with a Cherokee ?????

Those things already have enough trans issues lol

5. ACDNate

No he put the cherokee in the trailer and pulled the trailer with a bucket truck.

6. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Ahhhh ok

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

He is correct about most of the systems on a RV, if they ain't broke don't fix them. Hunt for water leaks from the roof, windows etc., maybe check the anode rod in the water heater. Apply soapy water to the gas lines and fittings outside at the propane tanks to check them for leaks. Dump a bag of ice in the toilet right before you move it, that will break up most deposits in the black tank.

8. ACDNate

Good info Kkessler thanks.

Yeah I probably should leave it alone if it all works. Going to give everything some use at home to make sure all is well.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Photos or it didn't happen

10. backcountryme

Only thing I would add is a scoop of cloths detergent with the ice. Low foaming but will still help clean the tank.

11. ACDNate

How about a crappy cell photo since thats all i have at the moment...

[​IMG]

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Good looking set up...

13. backcountryme

Not a bad trailer.

14. ACDNate

I've been browsing craigslist for a while and wasn't thrilled with what I was seeing. Folks seemed to think they appriciated in value after a few years. Wasn't really planning on buying one yet but the right deal showed up.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What are you pulling it with ?

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

No, they just haven't paid them off yet with their 30-year loans on them. :crackup:

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If someone has been living in it that's actually a good thing, the stuff in a RV seems to last better if it's being used instead of sitting.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No joke. It being paid for is a big reason I haven't replaced the Hobbi, don't want to take on a payment.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

this

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

someone was living in it??:Puke: Get out the bleach & gloves! :D

Roof a/c? Get a compressor and blow the a/c unit out really really really really good. If you have access to an ozone machine... run it for a few days.

Looks like a really nice unit though.