School me on Land Cruisers.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Dec 5, 2019.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Looking to replace my Jeep and have been geeking out on Land cruisers. I think I want a J80 or J105.

Who has/has had one? What should I be looking for and where?

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Go to ih8mud.com it’s the biggest land cruiser forum I’ve found. I saw a brand new 4 door diesel pick up version in Moorea a while back and almost fainted. It would be nice if we could get those here. I don’t know shit about the old ones though. My 200 series is a beast. I think it will outlive me.

JBraun likes this.
  3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I had an 80 for a while , it was a beast off-road . Never missed a beat with 300k miles . Just got turrible mpg

JBraun likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

FJ55 "Iron Pig" is what I want...big ugly and unstoppable.
    FJ60's are sweet as hell
    FJ80 - 82 are little less rugged as earlier models but still good OR machines

Or go crazy and order a JDM diesel...JD80 or similar and own the local Whole Foods parking lot...lol. Remember anything 1995 and older can be imported w/o epa hassles....

JBraun likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

All I know is the inline 6 that made them so reliable was just an updated old chevy engine. Hell yeah.

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The 80 series is what made me love them to begin with. My neighbor had a brand new one when i was in high school and i thought it was bad ass. Best i could afford was a ratted out 86 toyota 4x4 pick up.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

ih8mud is the beeb of landcruisers.

My old 73 FJ40 was a complete pile but brought the biggest smile to my face driving it. The inline 6 lacks horsepower but can pull oak stumps like it’s nothing. An FJ40 is what jeeps want to be. I miss my 40. :(

JBraun likes this.
  8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have a 67 that I'm about to start a second body off restoration on. Did the 350 SBC th300 thing. Cummins crate motor this time.

80s are ok.

baconologist likes this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

That restoration in a 45 would be THE perfect SUV!

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Pics arent loading.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Pics please! I saw one on a trailer a few weeks ago and fell in love. This might be a cooler project than a sports car.

12. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Good friend of mine has a 88 surviver LC. Original paint, interior (slight tear drivers side seat at the bolster) has 120k on it cold a/c and the power antenna still works. I think he paid 12k for it 10 years ago. Rust free southern vehicle. Bitch is nice!!

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Guy on a plane forum wants $25k for this 87...rebuilt 2F and pretty clean, 192,000 mi.

[​IMG]

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Go for a high mileage LX470. They don't have the LC aura yet so you can get them cheapish. And they are bullet proof.

Adam.B and JBraun like this.
  15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

LOL. It's in pieces. I'll take some tonight just for laughs.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Well-Known Member

Without pics of all this OR prowess and reliability, they might as well be unicorns tootin' happy farts. :Poke:

:crackup:

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Interesting. A guy in my neighborhood has one with just the right amount of lift and some gizmos. This search is somewhat his fault.

Jed likes this.
  18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I had a 94 LC which I think was the last year for solid axles in the front. The thing was a beast and I wish I still had it. Electric lockers front rear and middle. I never really got to use it as intended so sold it to someone who would appreciate it. Got about 13mpg driving around LA which was the biggest problem. Maybe 15-16mpg when I drove it to Willow Springs.

JBraun likes this.
  19. rob linders

rob linders Well-Known Member

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member