1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Land Cruisers.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Dec 5, 2019.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Looking to replace my Jeep and have been geeking out on Land cruisers. I think I want a J80 or J105.

Who has/has had one? What should I be looking for and where?

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Go to ih8mud.com it’s the biggest land cruiser forum I’ve found. I saw a brand new 4 door diesel pick up version in Moorea a while back and almost fainted. It would be nice if we could get those here. I don’t know shit about the old ones though. My 200 series is a beast. I think it will outlive me.

JBraun likes this.
  3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I had an 80 for a while , it was a beast off-road . Never missed a beat with 300k miles . Just got turrible mpg

JBraun likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

FJ55 "Iron Pig" is what I want...big ugly and unstoppable.
    FJ60's are sweet as hell
    FJ80 - 82 are little less rugged as earlier models but still good OR machines

Or go crazy and order a JDM diesel...JD80 or similar and own the local Whole Foods parking lot...lol. Remember anything 1995 and older can be imported w/o epa hassles....

JBraun likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

All I know is the inline 6 that made them so reliable was just an updated old chevy engine. Hell yeah.

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The 80 series is what made me love them to begin with. My neighbor had a brand new one when i was in high school and i thought it was bad ass. Best i could afford was a ratted out 86 toyota 4x4 pick up.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

ih8mud is the beeb of landcruisers.

My old 73 FJ40 was a complete pile but brought the biggest smile to my face driving it. The inline 6 lacks horsepower but can pull oak stumps like it’s nothing. An FJ40 is what jeeps want to be. I miss my 40. :(

JBraun likes this.
  8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have a 67 that I'm about to start a second body off restoration on. Did the 350 SBC th300 thing. Cummins crate motor this time.

80s are ok.

wsmc 589 and baconologist like this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

That restoration in a 45 would be THE perfect SUV!

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Pics arent loading.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Pics please! I saw one on a trailer a few weeks ago and fell in love. This might be a cooler project than a sports car.

12. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Good friend of mine has a 88 surviver LC. Original paint, interior (slight tear drivers side seat at the bolster) has 120k on it cold a/c and the power antenna still works. I think he paid 12k for it 10 years ago. Rust free southern vehicle. Bitch is nice!!

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Guy on a plane forum wants $25k for this 87...rebuilt 2F and pretty clean, 192,000 mi.

[​IMG]

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Go for a high mileage LX470. They don't have the LC aura yet so you can get them cheapish. And they are bullet proof.

Adam.B and JBraun like this.
  15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

LOL. It's in pieces. I'll take some tonight just for laughs.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Without pics of all this OR prowess and reliability, they might as well be unicorns tootin' happy farts. :Poke:

:crackup:

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Interesting. A guy in my neighborhood has one with just the right amount of lift and some gizmos. This search is somewhat his fault.

Jed likes this.
  18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I had a 94 LC which I think was the last year for solid axles in the front. The thing was a beast and I wish I still had it. Electric lockers front rear and middle. I never really got to use it as intended so sold it to someone who would appreciate it. Got about 13mpg driving around LA which was the biggest problem. Maybe 15-16mpg when I drove it to Willow Springs.

JBraun likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member