1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Imagine it was a Bitcoin in 2005

;)

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

except that 14M need to be bought every single day, and currently there is no mainstream acceptance as payment. So if 14M are not sold, the price goes down.

there are also about 50 - 100 other cyrpto currencies out there. Bitcoin is terrible for the environment and costs a lot to use, so who knows what happens

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This thread is pretty incredible to watch.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Yeah, it's interesting. I guess different folks have different investment strategies.
    I'm probably just a bit more conservative by nature.

6. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Semiconductor stocks , anybody have some knowledge to share ?

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

TSM has been a slow, steady performer for me... +50% in 5 months. That's all I've got...

8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I am in the industry. They are all up right now. I watch them. and am in to some of them. Probably going to have decent growth this year.

9. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

What part of the industry? Many years in Litho here.

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

My company manufacturers test equipment for all the big chip companies. Ive been there 20 years. I am in Mobility and Automotive segment in my company. My stock has doubled in the last 6 months. (was at $25). We are booming. 2020 was supposed to be a boom year but Covid killed the Automotive portion. So we are seeing a big uptick since Q4. I am turning orders away right now cause we cant meet demand. More business then we know what to do with.

You know shit is serious when they are pressuring the current administration to bring test houses back to US to keep up with demand. I feel pretty knowledgeable in this segment if you have questions.

Montoya, BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I picked up 500 shares of THCX this morning. It closed up exactly $420.00. It's a sign.

jrsamples likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Well, made my first RH purchase - thankfully went up 11.2% today. Also received another free share, this time it was LLNW. First freebie was AGEN.

I moved $500 over to invest; most was spent for the 25 shares. That will be my limit for playing with stocks in this method. I'll then take whatever profits I make and invest that into more Zumas. :--)

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I'm going to write a paper to publish on Medium about the myth of power hungry Bitcoin. Guarantee it compares favorably with Visa, despite the left-leaning publications who state otherwise.

Montoya and BigBird like this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So you are saying your checking account isn't at zero until you try to take money out

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

will it account for user access?

how many have bitcoin and can obtain a btc vs visa which anyone can get either through a debit account or credit application?

Does your paper also account for Title VI in the US?

Montoya likes this.
  16. Jedb

No, I'm saying that the monies I've invested into my 401K and IRAs have a beginning basis and a current value.
    No loss or gain is actually there until you cash out.

You can monitor your position, based as if you cashed on day X or day Y from your purchase price and see if you are "ahead" or "behind" but until you sell, it's all paper.

I keep investments separate from my checkbook.

17. notbostrom

Your gains and losses are completely actual just not realized. If you bought something at 50 and it's now at 20 you have in fact lost $30. I get what you're saying just reminding everyone this scenario is no different than buying for 50 selling it 30 buying it back at 30 you did in fact lose $20 per share it may go up it may not. Saying you haven't lost anything because you didn't sell isn't quite true

18. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Former stepper guy here. It's always been a feast or famine industry and it's clear it's early into one of the feast stages.

19. notbostrom

What companies are in your space?

20. Jedb

We can agree to split hairs on this.
    On paper, it's a loss or gain.
    For tracking purposes, it's a loss or a gain.
    However, I agree with you, neither is realized until it's sold, so is it really a loss? or a gain?
    Imma say nope.

In your scenario, you have actually sold it and bought it back, so you did realize a loss.
    In mine, there's no sale, just tracking, as I hold my funds.