1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's funny how it's only @motion who's ever lost money on stocks in this thread. Probably all the same guys married to supermodels.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

nah...i only show loss pron....because it's all i got.

one month in and i'm ready to retire (because of the losses, not because of any winning)

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just made a nice 48% gain selling some IPL stock today after a 30% opening bump resulting from a buyout offer. That was a nice unexpected gift of a few hundred $$ today. I wasn't planning on selling it as I bought it as a good long term dividend payer, but they cut the dividend shortly after I bought last March, and I've been thinking about unloading it for a while as it's been pretty stagnant for the last few months. It's a funny feeling making a days wages in a couple minutes. Kinda demotivating :D

Since funding my trade acct last march I'm +60% vs s&p 500 +35% over the same time frame (mar 10/2020-now). I'd like to think some was careful research and skill, but realistically it was mostly just pure dumb luck IMO :D. I missed timing the dip by a couple weeks, and watched my initial $1200 go to $500 almost immediately and thinking WTF did I get into lol. Missed a few rockets....(sold early, or didn't jump on, just watched) but overall not too bad for a complete goober. I haven't sold anything at a loss yet, and as of last week all my purchases are now in the green with a couple that have potentially promising percentage returns if they ever get back to pre covid prices (would only be a few hundred $ gain). I'm not following the wsb stuff, not really interested in chasing those rainbows. I actually enjoy the research and learning about companies far more than I thought I would when I started this.

I would like to keep funding my trade account to get things up to a nice amount where a good buy could be a nice windfall, but I'm just getting back on my feet after getting pounded pretty good last year from lost wages.

Rebel635 and BigBird like this.
  4. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Oh I've lost on plenty of stocks, I just learned a lot of lessons along the way for the winners to overshadow the losers.

That and I made so much money on GameStop that I could lose for a few years and still be up :D

Edit: Just looked back at some older trades. Intel, FLIR, Walmart and Bank of America can all suck my dick lol

HPPT, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

add Santander and GE to that list (and a couple of others)

BigBird likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ha, I put it on here before, but back during the 99-00 tech bubble I made a bunch and lost all of it. So much so that the only investing I've done since I bought my business in 05 has been a little bit of 401k stuff. Unfortunately, I keep hoping my business will be part of my retirement. If I had been smart enough to buy apple with just the down payment I spent on my business, I could be retired right now.

BigBird likes this.
  7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Its pretty easy to make some money in todays market. The market is up biggly. There will be a correction at some point but I dont see that happening until minimum 2022. So I am trying to make some money this year. You really have to be saavy to make money in a cooling market and I will probably step away at that point.

BigBird and The Great One like this.
  8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have a feeling my investing (stock gambling) moving forward is not going to be as satisfying or gainful as the last few months :). Statistically speaking I timed one of the biggest market dips in history almost perfectly (missed "bottom" by being 2 weeks early). Purely by dumb luck. I opened my trade account in Nov/Dec 2019, but didn't fund it until the start of march (kinda forgot about it) as I wanted to learn more about what I was doing. Then the bottom fell out. Yeah I "made 60%" thus far but there was so much more potential in that market that I missed out on it was ridiculous. I hung on to a about 75% of it in duds for months, waiting them out to come back to even and watching stuff I was looking at but had no money to buy soar in price (brp/doo anyone?). I really wish I would have had more than $1200 to play with at the time, but that was all I had available. I probably would have made some different moves with more money on the table though. Tough to call. I'm much more conservative with my money than I used to be.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Forklift Brah, you and me both. Lost most of my 401K back then. Have sat on the sidelines until last August, when I jumped back in and its been a massacre ever since, LOL. I'm like 3 for 100 on my picks. Gonna get back out soon and forget about it.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  10. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

This.

As long as interest rates remain near zero and nothing crazy happens in the world, the raging bull market will continue. I have a personal target that I am trying to hit by the end of the year and once I get there, I'm going to move half of my portfolio into cash to pile into indexes once the eventual correction/bear market hits.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ha, I'm pretty transparent. I just DGAF about much, beyond riding my crappy old Africa Twin in new countries. The money stuff is amusing to me, but at the end of the day, it's just fun tickets that matter.

Phl218, BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I only buy indexes and hold for a long time, so I never lose money :p

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm in the same boat. maybe, just maybe we do the opposite...we would be GOATs in investing. It seems I like red stocks the best. You meet the nicest people on a Honda

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yeah the people who knew the stock was worthless when they bought it

BigBird likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

how did today go?

16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It was bad but it was fractions compared to the gains I've gotten and I'm not selling any of them in 2021 that's for sure. I'm just getting annoyed by the trend. I've owned SPCE for a couple years on principle (future and whatnot) and now I keep seeing that name pop up :confused:

BigBird likes this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Well, I opened my RH account, and received a free share worth $4.75. I'll probably quit on a high note.

18. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Nah, I've lost about $80 on 100 shares of Nokia, based on motions excitement over it. I thought he'd be better at this stuff with all his cool crap!:D

Actually don't "do stocks" and really know nothing but was about to chance some based on other reading I'd done, he pushed me over the line.:crackup:

Now Yamabomber has me up over $24 on a $44 buy of HCMC. Wished I'd gotten more but the account was dry. Made a transfer and hopefully get in deeper with more payoff in the longhaul.:beer:

05Yamabomber and BigBird like this.
  19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

if you are in for the index fund long haul investment play, it’s all paper until you cash out, so theres no actual losses/gains.

most of the short term stuff isn’t for me.

SuddenBraking, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

yup.

"buy it and forget it"

some dude named Warren B. seemed to do pretty ok with that strategy.

tony 340 likes this.