1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on fence for my property

Discussion in 'General' started by j cal, Aug 6, 2018.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

aluminum looks nice as a hand sample but in FL they dont last very long before the powder comes off and the salt air corrodes the rest.

A survey of the property will help keep you from installing a fence on your neighbors property.
    Where are you located? Does the ground freeze?

2. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Troy, Michigan suburb outside of Detroit. The ground freezes

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Glad mine don't do that.

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

3 times while looking in the mirror

Some of us were busy building fences.... :)

OP. PM me your email or one of your quotes and I'll let you know if you are having fun with or without lube. Also a description of your yard (flat, rolling, clear, overgrown, etc).

I concrete every post...

You being in the northern half of the country likely means you are paying a Union rate for a steel product and getting it with out the lube....

How many feet are you trying to install total?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    MachineR1 and j cal like this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I need a video to believe that.

6. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Thanks @Fencer !

4' tall, approximately 520 linear foot rectangle on flat ground. PM on its way

7. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

BTW, this is a home that @Gmay99 helped with my loan. Since this is my first home, he was able to slow things down and explain in detail all of the steps. Extremely satisfied customer, I will definitely recommend him to any of my friends looking for a loan.

Loving the WERA network =)

Gmay99 likes this.
  8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well that isn't going to happen, golden has been dead for 20 years and my current lab is 13 and barely makes it up two steps on the porch now. The golden would also swim underwater to retrieve things and would let me roll him onto his back and float when we'd swim a 1/2 mile out on a lake. Best and and smartest dog I've ever owned.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We have 6' chain link and both pyredoodles could clear it but luckily they don't want to.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, that sucks. Pets are a hard loss. I just question it because the world record is only a little over 5ft, which is still amazing looking at it from their level.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

My lil boxer can jump 6 ft but she doesn’t know that the fence is only 5.

The boy however, now figured out that the rectangles are the width of his shoes and are perfet for climbing :blart:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For what breed? I could swear I've seen Jack Russels clear that just being excited :D

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I dunno I just googled it quick to see if my head was on straight. We're talking like jumping and clearing and not climbing half the way up right? :D I've seen deer jump 6-7ft and that was pretty effin' impressive, no way I could I see a dog clear a fence that high. Climb it? yea, definitely.

14. Newsshooter

Huh? World record for what? The golden could hit the top pause and continue, the pause wasn't long. I was surprised, I was just trying to make it take longer for him to get the ball, he went over instead of around. Continued to do it just cause he could I suppose as he'd bring the ball back through the gate. The current chocolate lab had no difficulty jumping into a lifted truck bed when he was younger. Didn't measure the height but it had to be close to four feet. Current stock truck is 3 ft to the tailgate

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the dog, some are jumpers, some are climbers. My pyrenees could absolutely clear 6 feet if she wanted to. The current pups are more of a maybe, Duncan won't expend that much energy normally but when he gets rolling chasing the puppy he shows his real stride and damn the dog can move. The puppy would have to climb :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So Guinness says 68 inches. 4" shy of 6'. Haven't found the specifics of the jump tho. Not sure if it's running or standing or the like - I think the greyhound that did it was most likely running for bit to pull it off.

17. Newsshooter

I went and looked too, it was part of an agility competition where the dog cleared a jump without touching anything.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well this got akward........

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

8k for that?!?

Man I wish!!!

When do I need to drive up?

Regular residential grade wire and post? Doing anything special? just slapping it up and running with it?

I could see $14 -16 on ornamental aluminum or ornamental steel DEPENDING on which MFG you use. some cost more than others but you should really be around 13-14 unless you have a lot of gates

BigBird likes this.
  20. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

@Fencer email replied, thanks!