1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on fence for my property

Discussion in 'General' started by j cal, Aug 6, 2018.

1. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

I'm closing on a house that's on an acre sized lot, and am looking to fence in almost half of it (for my dog).

I have a few bids out there, coming back at ~ 7,500 to $8000 for plain chain link fencing.

Is upgrading to aluminum fence worth it? Potential increase in property value when I sell? The quotes I'm getting for aluminum is double the chain link ~16,000.

I'm usually a DIYer, but this doesn't sound like something I want to take on myself.

2. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

@Fencer is one of the experts on this subject.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

i fenced in the 2 acres with 5' high welded wire (tractor supply) by myself. rented a bobcat with auger for post holes, poured cement dry out the bags. cost me 2500 total and about 2 weekends. chain link from lowes would have been 10 grand. (them to do it)

Cam Morehead, Sabre699 and noles19 like this.
  4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    If you do it yourself rent the bobcat and auger. One man auger sucks!

panthercity, Phl218 and joec like this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Chain link is easy, just go look at one and how it's constructed, even better if the property is fairly level/ flat. I don't know why you have to use concrete though. Around here they just drive them in. Galvanized will probably last 40 years before it starts to rust. I don't know where OP is from but heaving can be an issue if concrete isn't done right, driving the posts won't have this issue.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

7. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

Invisible fence and training for the dog.

If you have an HOA the rules may dictate the type of fence, if any, allowed.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

10. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Thanks. No HOA, and the land is flat.

I'll check in with the city if the posts need to be cement or not, if not, it sounds a lot more reasonable to tackle myself.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Concrete not cement! Corner posts/end posts for chain link should be concreted in for when you tighten the chain link,even for a residential condition for a dog like you are looking to do. If you just want to drive in the posts down the line between corners and ends,thats on you. What height and are you using a top rail or tension wire?

13. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

No frickin clue, haven't researched that far into it yet

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

OP: I need a fence and I don't want to build it myself.

Beeb: Build it yourself.
    Beeb: You don't need a fence.

15. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Very true on HOA plus you need approval BEFORE putting it up.
    But with a lot that big a HOA is unlikely.

The invisible fence does work BUT, my dog learned the beep was before the ZAP.
    He walked the perimeter of the fence listening to the beep, so we had a trail 6 feet from the wire. The beeping drained the collar, so the dog took a walk.

Another consideration on the fence, height. This dog is one extreme but many aren't far behind. Belgian Malinois.
    Would have posted a video link BUT, nough said.

OH, buy a pair of come alongs. Makes pulling the fence tight easy.

For the cheapest way I know of is the Rhino vibrating post driver you can rent them.
    Check for a video, IMO best way to go if you do a fence.

No concrete needed and works for most places.

These work decent for one person digging holes, beats the hell out of the standard two person auger.
    Over half the price of a bob cat last time I checked.
    http://www.runyonrental.com/Rice-One-Man-Dirt-Dawg-Hydraulic-Post-Hole-Digger-Auger-Rental.item
    [​IMG]

Lastly, black vinyl coated fence disappears more than non coated fences.

j cal likes this.
  16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Good point......he did say he didn't want to do it himself.....:crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Go with black vinyl coated chain link. Looks much nicer. 4' tall should be plenty, unless you have a Houdini/jumper. But yeah, it ain't cheap. Materials for ~270', (3) man gates and an 8' double gate was ~$3700, plus bags of quickrete for each post(its in a very wet location, driving them in would never last, plus I curved a section around my pond).

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So where the hell is he ? Do you have to say it 3 times or something ? :D

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

My 85 lb lab would jump over that in a heartbeat before he got too old. My previous Golden would go over an 8 foot fence without a problem, found that out after throwing the ball over the fence and he went over instead of out the gate. I think he'd have treated a 4 footer like a hurdle.

20. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

We have a boxer pup she stays in our current 4' fence although I'm sure she can jump over it if she wanted to.