1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad to see endurance series fail

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by EXPERT35, Aug 29, 2014.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Nelson is pitch black except for a couple of light on pit road.
    Many teams including us used fluorescent lights for our pit box and under our canopy. With the proper lighting on the bike, auxiliary lighting for the track is not needed. Riders were required to have glow sticks attached to themselves as well as the bike in case of off track testing :p so both could be found by corner workers.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was in an era before lawyers ruined everyone's fun and recklessness.

Depending on where the event was held, it might not be as big of a concern, but I can't believe the 24 hours of Nelson didn't average 10 deer strikes a year... Then again, the deer population has exploded in the same manner that the legal profession has, so maybe it's more of a hazard now than it once was.

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

That makes sense. I just thought the track lighting would help eliminate a lot of the lighting issues for the bikes.

I would be all up for a 24hr endurance.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I don't recall any problem with critters, but I know it happens.
    The last one was not that long ago, I believe it was 2008.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First step - find 20 thousand dollars to get the power company to hook up the lights to the power grid. Then a few grand per hour I believe to actually run them.

Once that is done you can worry about track rental at a track that is closed.

Oh yeah - make sure you can run there all night too, most tracks have local ordinances outlawing it.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nelson and deer wasn't an issue. Frogs and turtles were, mostly T10 coming out of the carousel. Unlike Summit where they hide in the infield and get spooked into crossing the track they won't go towards the noise from the track.

A 24 hour would be cool but they're just not feasible for bikes.

7. kanatuna

Dream crusher! :)

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know sorry.

Be happy I didn't list all of the costs that go up exponentially for the sanctioning body, got tired of typing :D

That also doesn't factor in the costs to the teams - from running HW team would be ~12 front tires and 12-18 rears. Also figure 140-160 gallons of fuel. Just for the race.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Minimum 5K in just tires and fuel:eek:. It sure sounds like fun but the numbers are scary.

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It was a lot easier when the manufacturers were involved. A win could cut those numbers dramatically.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Last one at Willow we had a purse and tried to get payouts spread out so everyone got some help.

12. kanatuna

How about mini's.....a 10hr endurance race on Mini's! Low fuel/tire cost. lol I'd enter that too.

13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Mini endurance! Great idea Tuna, I'd be all over that.

14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I was on the pit crew for Paramount Racing at Willow (top running middleweight team) and they use 30 tires for the weekend. That was a rear about every hour, a few skipped at night, and fronts about every six hours plus a couple for practice. I changed about every one of them because there is no tire guy at 2 in the morning. Tons of fun, but I was glad I was not paying for it!

At this point there just isn't the support out there for the super long races. The day to night events were cool because of the lighting challenges, especially at Nelson Ledges. The last race at 8 hours long was about as long as most people would like an endurance race to be.

15. I agree. I would love to be part of such an event. I am sure I could talk Eddie into doing it to and Livengood.

It is too bad Nashville isn't still running. I have ridden there at night several times (STT used to have a night time track "day" every year). It was cool as shit.

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

what about Charlotte or Gateway?
    both have lighting.

I'd love to try with headlights only. But the safety aspect is nerve racking to me.

17. Ben Gooding

Ben Gooding Well-Known Member

There will be no 24 hr club endurance racing. PERIOD dot!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one can afford to turn on the lights there for bikes. Charlotte is also not viable for bikes in the daylight.

Headlights aren't unsafe, far from it. I knew a lot of riders who went better at night, no distractions, they just kept hitting their marks.

19. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Part of the night race challenge is engineering your lighting, including whatever extras you can add on. For the last Nelson night race we had a pretty good setup with an extra driving light pointed right (more right hand turns). It worked good until the fairing bracket broke during the race enough that the lights were pointed down about 20 feet in front of the bike. Not good at race speed. Mostly you let someone pass you, and then follow them around using their lights.

Sean, how about adding the USNE dates to the calendar?

Not strictly Wera, but at least there is a series for races longer than 20 laps. We are looking at a trip to NOLA to represent!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I need to do that.