1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round 7 |MotoAmerica Superbikes at Alabama | SEP 18-20

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Again, for the spec logic to hold true, SSP and SSTK would have grids that size and fields that close. They don’t.

As I pointed out in another thread, SBK Unlimited builds and sells some really pimp bikes. People clearly have the money but I don’t think their (the customers) ego could take being out run by Rocco on a Twins Cup bike on their $75k SBK. This isn’t a slight on SBK Unlimited at all, just pointing out people have the money out there.

Hell, when you look at motorsports as a whole in the US, there are A LOT of people here who could be fielding motorcycle teams, but they just aren’t into them. Our motorsports culture here is different, but it is hugely more vast and $$ than anything in the UK (outside of F1 teams being based there).

2. Are you saying their grids aren’t that big? Keep in mind 600 has two classes.

3. And my point of stating perspective is at a minimum this is what we should be shooting for and better.

4. Hoffman900

No, my argument is that whenever you people bitch about specs, I point out that there are two classes with similar restrictive specs that these people could race instead, but these people aren’t and the fields aren’t any closer than SBK.

What’s their to shoot for? It takes money and a talent pipeline. This is a fringe sport in the US. There is talent but there are a lack of sponsors. That has nothing to do with the cost. Hell an amatuer URC Sprint Car team spends what Westby probably does and there are dozens of those guys out there, let alone in drag racing, road racing, off road racing, and other circle track racing. The rich guys play with cars here,
    Not bikes.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

I think comparing motorsports in Europe vs. US is pointless. They have less competition over there from other sports/entertainment and more importantly they're more passionate about motorcycles and are bigger gear heads in general. It's never going to be a fair comparison.

MA is what it is. I'm happy we have something that's decent quality. It could still be DMG....

Shocker and Hoffman900 like this.
  6. You make a good point, it would be interesting to see a per capita $ or something similar with Motorsports spend. It’s WAY easier to keep fans engaged over there as they can follow an attend the whole series, I know it’s comparing maybe not apples n oranges but for sure different kinds of apples.

7. I don’t bitch about specs. I’m all for opening things up when they make sense and tightening when they don’t (spec tires, etc ). I am with you and about people going into sbk being outgunned but with smaller grids and higher payout the sad part is for some it makes more sense. Ass backwards

8. Hoffman900

These fictional people should enter SSTK but they don’t. If SSTK was getting factory interest and had 20-30 rider grids that were close, then they should change the rules. That hasn’t happened.

IMO, it’s not the rules. It’s just lack of money as motorsports $$ here are tied up in auto circle track, road racing, and drag racing. Also, all the other extreme sports in this country that compete against young people’s attention that doesn’t in the UK.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    418 likes this.
  9. Agree with that. Also looks like SBK Unlimited threw too much money at Lee’s bike. Glad he’s out there and he’s doing some hero shit right now. More perspective, they amount of actual $ i helped my buddy get, plus boats, free truck lease, hotels etc to go bass fishing is crazy. Would be enough to run at least a decent SSTK or SS program. Funny part is he’s barely in the top 100 but once again it’s more about demographics people can relate to.

10. Hoffman900

I don’t agree with that. It’s a showcase bike for what Freddie can source / sell. That’s usually the point of shop bikes.

11. Hoffman900

There are dozens of people writing $35k checks every IMSA weekend for a ride in a GS / ST car.

Hell talking to a team manager for Pro Formula Atlantic, it’s a $1mil check for the season, before adding in wrecks and replacement parts. They had a dozen and a half teenagers in that series, and how many of you could name one or where to even to watch? You really can’t and the only spectators are family and friends.

Go to the SCCA Runoffs. It’s the amateur championship for SCCA racing. The amount of money you see there can be wild. You’ll see some guy with his team working on his GT1/TA car, maybe replacing the second $45k ECR lease engine for the weekend, next to some dude with an open trailer.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well this suck.....

SBK Unlimited has to withdraw their bike from competition. Freddie just said that apparently the version of firmware on the bike's ECU is not legal with MA's rules.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFUo3jRnC2-/

On the bright side @daracing13 is stepping up and providing Andrew with a GSXR-1000 to run so he can still compete in the event.

418 and henry_carlson like this.
  13. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Andrew Lee is now on Aussie Dave's Suzuki. Superbike Unlimited has an illegal "front wear" (no idea what that is). The proper front wear doesn't exist and they have to make one. UGH fucking shitty !

14. Hoffman900

15. henry_carlson

FIRMWARE! I thought he said front wear lmao, idiot.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  16. Hoffman900

Firmware.

They have the wrong ECU and maybe transmission?

Bummer, but they should have known this going in. Freddie is a supplier for Westby and Attack somewhat, so he knows what they can do. Hope they get it sorted out and come back next year!

badmoon692008 and henry_carlson like this.
  17. henry_carlson

Is this to do with it being an RR and literally no one running a Kawi Superbike (not a superbike/superstock hybrid)

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

:p;)

Not sure....possibly because no one else is running it they never homologated it for the class?

henry_carlson likes this.
  19. Hoffman900

Not sure. If they are FIM rules, then whatever the WSBK guys use should be legal?

Sounds like whatever they are using is outside the FIM/MA spec.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The ol' switcheroo.......Aussie Dave once again proving he's the bee's knees. Leathers even match, how fortuitous :cool:

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.31.56 AM.png

Shocker and henry_carlson like this.