1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round 7 |MotoAmerica Superbikes at Alabama | SEP 18-20

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Sep 16, 2020.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Yea I'd think so. I hope this isn't some weird Motoamerica unorganized thing, like the illegal Ducati weight incident

2. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

As i read it, you can run

1) FIM / DWO approved kit
    2) A MA approved kit (Motec M130 spec)
    3) DWO / FIM Superstock kit
    4) Stock ECU with reflash

The SSTK one exists here. Obviously the first one exists considering there are a couple teams using WSBK Kawasaki’s.

The MA kit allows teams to homologate an alternative to that, which probably helps teams that don’t have the Euro hookup.

The RRW article was amended to say that photos show the bike to have a Motec M170 in it as well as a close ratio trans. The latter I hope isn’t true as that I think is a bigger issue. The M170 has more logging capability than the 130, so I don’t think performance is all that different, but it is still out of spec.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    henry_carlson likes this.
  3. Did you see his times disallowed from yesterday due to illegal trans?

4. Hoffman900

It has an illegal ECU and trans.

I don’t know if the ECU makes a big performance difference at that point. I’m sure you can get one, but Motec is allowed up to 8 weeks to build it. It still is out of spec.

The trans is a pretty glaring oversight.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  5. That trans he showed on his IG is the business, I haven’t checked MA rules but pretty well One of the best you can get your hands on.

6. Hoffman900

Out of curiosity, in what series is it legal? Trick part for sure. Wish Freddie maybe took his time and thought about avoiding this situation from the get go. Stinks for Andrew too.

7. Firmware has a lot to do with the “spec” of the ecu. It’s eventually the same ecu used in BSB but with MA firmware which activates a specific. number of features that can be used etc. I was under the assumption they could update the firmware quite easily as I’ve had a couple BSB spec firmware units updated for outside of 2 wheels.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Nova?

Showing up with a illegal bike to a professional national series is a bit silly.

9. Hoffman900

The M170 has a different Mil spec connector and Has a few more features.

Even with a MA approved firmware, it’s still the wrong ECU.

10. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

11. I know in BSB they can.

Attached Files:

12. My fault. I thought they were running the same spec ecu with different firmware, didn’t look into it that deep.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  13. Hoffman900

14. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I called the ECU thing out in the other thread a few weeks ago.. Even I knew that was the wrong ECU and I am a dingdong.

TBH though i thought the transmission was fine. Don't WSBK's allow Nova transmissions? I thought MotoA was trying to align themselves with WSBK.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  15. Hoffman900

WSBK teams can choose their ratios, but they must declare them at the start of the season and they are locked into them.

MA’s rules are pretty simple. You start with the stock gearset but you can treat / polish / coat them, etc.

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Did you all just hear Robbie rowr rowr rowr? LMAO. I hope RLH was in the men's room.

17. Hoffman900

As JH4 just said, this was just a matter of opening the rulebook, which takes ten seconds to search and pull up online.

As he also mentioned, a lot of guys just rely on word of mouth in regards to the rules. I’ve seen that many times. D’oh moment for sure.

18. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Yeah Cam, and hell yeah Mesa!!!!

19. Hoffman900

That was about a dead heat for second!

20. Ya. Give or take $3k depending but they are damn good, they can also do a lot of custom stuff to get ratios right where you want them, not just an off the shelf outfit. I watched their YouTube video and kind of made the assumption based off BSB. Obviously they weren’t hiding it so I see no ill intent but you do have to ask, wtf. Texted my motec connect in the uk, I have a unit here they could’ve loaded firmware on to. I didn’t look at purchase rules but correct model ecu and firmware level should suffice. All the firmware is doing is making it to the MA template of options. I don’t feel bad for the SBK Unlimited guys but feel horrible for Lee. Glad he got a bike to ride, hopefully they footed the bill to lease it for a race.