1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root canal procedure

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Nov 1, 2016.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I ended up flying in to Anchorage from Deadhorse on Saturday to get a root canal. The endodontist had issues and I ended up spending 4 1/2 hrs in the dentist chair and had to be re-anesthetized twice. I can not believe how bad this mf'er hurts. I think I would rather have broken bones from a motorcycle crash. I would have at least been having fun when the incident occurred...

2. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I've had 5 of them this year.... and may need 6 more. Man up, and be grateful you can get the issue fixed. Could you imagine having to live with the pain generated from a tooth that didn't get a root canal?

3. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

when you get to 12, and 4 extractions, you feel no more pain.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Dammit you guys! I am trying to feel sorry for myself here! :D
    The worst part is I am at work and the Advil / Tylenol mix just does not seem to deaden the pain and I do not really think I should be taking the good pills during the day as I work around heavy equipment and radioactives.

5. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I would only use advil to sleep. try not to build a tolerance up to pain meds. but I also have a sick hobby of seeing how much pain my body can tolerate. Like the look on a docs face when you tell him to skip the local and get to stitchin' the foot so i can get back to work.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Let me guess -- back molar?
    Post-canal you shouldn't be in pain. The nerve has been removed and the tooth is dead. It might take a little while to settle down due to nerves in the area of the jaw, but in my experience that is minor.

Newsshooter likes this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Damn, I just had one a few weeks ago and it was a piece of cake haha! It was uncomfortable getting it done but not painful. Sorry guys!

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I had 4 root canals many years ago. I absolutely hate novacaine. I feel sick for days afterward. The last RC was done drug free...for a few minutes I thought my eyes were gonna pop out of me head. Dentist thought I was nuts...he probably was right.

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn, how fitting! I had a root canal yesterday morning. With the exception of the pain medication that they spray and then hit you with the needle. The procedure was damn near painless. The worst part was smelling the burning tooth material or the infected pulp material as the dentist drilled through the to the canal.

About a couple of hours after the procedure I took an Ibuprophen 800 out of the fear of the pain that I expected. No pain at all :cool:

Next up . . . a crown. Cha-ching!

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Chew just right and hit THAT spot and in the words of the retired metal dome, hurts like a sumofbitch. :(

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, one of the upper back molars. Apparently my teeth have extremely long roots (24mm and the average is 21mm) and they had issues with getting them all cleaned out. It took them a long time and they warned me that the area would be pissed off and sore for a while. It is significantly worse than I expected. Apparently most are quite painless but I was one of the lucky ones.

12. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

Bumping an old thread. I have a back molar that needs something done. Can't chew on one side of my mouth. Are there less painful options that RC? Am I better to just do an implant?

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You would really only do an implant if the tooth is not savable though a root canal. For an implant looking at extraction and then a 6-9 month period for an implant and about $3-4k for the implant.

14. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

6-9 months of recovery? Wow. I guess hopefully they have some new numbing procedures so I won't feel anything. Chewing on one side is getting old in a hurry so need to do something soon. Thanks.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

None of my root canals hurt at all. I heard all the horrors stories from family members about how bad they hurt and dreaded getting the first one but it turned out to not be any big deal. Maybe that dude was just a shit endodontist.

minman26 likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

No not recovery. After they extract the tooth, they have to build the bone back up. That involves either synthetic or cadaver material which takes the bulk of the time to heal and solidify. Then drilling the hole for the post and gluing it in, more time. Then finally the construction of the "tooth" to put onto the post. Root canals are really not a big deal, as Venom stated.

minman26 likes this.
  17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Dentistry can provide a nice life for you, if your life is not what you expect it to be.

18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

This!!
    Something isn't right if you have massive pain post canal...

minman26 likes this.
  19. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

What she said.... I have had one done so far, and it was a non-event, but I also made sure I picked a good Doc

minman26 likes this.
  20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Had my first and only this year. Was no big deal.
    Had a little bit of discomfort afterwards. Went back to dentist and he did a little bit of grinding on the crown to adjust my bite and no issues since.

minman26 likes this.