1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronald Reagan is coming to....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dave K, Jul 12, 2003.

1. mad brad

mad brad Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

yep. back to stone tools and fire for the japanese. :D

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

It isn't a matter of being justified it is just sometimes inevitable.

why all of the controversy... paybacks are hell. ;)

Seriously though, had those bombs not been dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki then it would have happened somewhere. Atomic bombs are not precision bombs and by dropping them there it pretty much assured that they weren't going to be dropped elsewhere for a long long time and the bombs that followed those would kill way more civilians than we did. It isn't a matter of justification it is just a shitty part of war... just like lawyers are a shitty part of the american justice system. ;)

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

4. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

OUCH!!!!!!

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

;)

6. Not. That line came from Animal House

7. Shyster d'Oil

Ike was briefed:

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."

- Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

8. Thanks for the info about the briefing.

Seeing as no one really knew what was going to happen, and the military had no concept of the real power or capability of the first atomic bombs, Eisenhower's statements after the fact should probably be taken with at least one grain of salt, if not more.

It would be more instructive to hear Stimson's version of Eisenhower's reaction.

9. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

So there's no absolute morality. Killing masses of innocent people can be justified, you just have to have the correct point of view.

So like Roger asked, "If killing of civilians is justifiable, then why all the controversy over 9/11? Or Kosovo, or the Holocost? "

For people that died on 9/11, that was just a sitty part of war? Sorry, I can't accept that. There is most certainly an absolute right and absolute wrong.

10. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

'

Brad, you seem to be having an off day...Like S&S said...it was Animal House. :D

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yeah yeah.

due, you are an idiot. but i am DYING to know what war we were in when the twin towers were bombed. and what military targets they were aiming for? awaiting your answer......

on a side note, isn't there a communist board you and your twink razorshines can hang out on?

12. Shyster d'Oil

"Communist Board"??? Is this 1950s Brad talking??

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

no, just get rather sick of a piece of shit foreigner talking shit, and insinuating some messed up crap.

so........ i invited him to fuck the hell off on a communist board somewhere.

pay attention. :D

14. Shyster d'Oil

Who is faster: Due or Brad?:D :Poke: :Poke:

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

me. ;)

i'll bet due is too skeered to race.

16. Shyster d'Oil

Due. . . speak up or this old man will have to challange Brad to a race of Right versus Left!!!!

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Come on Due. You piss in my cheerios and then hide? Come on man, I'll play nice.

18. Shyster d'Oil

Ah, the old "Golden Cherrio!" A Pughkeepsie favorite!!

Sorry Dave, last time, I swear!!

Rodger

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No worries Roger, from you I'll take the poughkeepsie jokes. :D

Dude, is Spanky's still up there? I miss a few places from my days up there.

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

Maybe in your mind but not in mine. I think that sometimes harsh cold blooded means justify a greater end and I firmly believe we were right on this one.