1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronald Reagan is coming to....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dave K, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

Originally posted by TXFZ1 Let's face it; the two dropped bombs are history. Can't go and recall them even if we wanted. What is important is that another one is not dropped in the future.

David, I think that this is one thing that we can all agree on. That is why Korea has me more concrned than I was about Saddam, evil as he is.

Rodger

2. Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

Leaflets, Rodger. Leaflets. :)

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

exactly. :)

Those bombs are keeping me employed. ;)

Had those bombs not been dropped others would have and most likely by the USSR.

So a bunch of civilians died... tough shit. :rolleyes:

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

no kidding john. people bitch when we fired a precise guided weapon up saddam's ass, and civilians were woken up next door. i refuse to hear that we are assholes for saving the world. we have fought wars more efficiently than anyone's else. {except france and candada, who never actually killed anyone} and we still get shit. do you think anyone else would be so kind as to watch out for our hospitals, and churches if they attacked us?

i would love to see the scenario where we act like australia, and canada. you know, just sit there and do nothing. i'm sure france will take over the great responsibility.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brad, Australia sent troops to fight in almost every action the US has been involved with for the last 60 years. Persian Gulf I and II, Vietnam, Korea.
    The Australians seem to be some of the hardest fighting some-bitches around. They'd send troops to your house to fight if you were having a throw down with your neighbor. :D

Austrailia seems to be America's weird talking twin. :D

6. Shyster d'Oil

Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

The leaflets were the ultimate justification for dropping the bomb. they were dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima a few days before the bombs were dropped. They said " Dear Innocent Jap Civilians: we are going to incenerate your city. Best to leave now before you become a cinder. If you stay, you have assumed the risk of burning to death or becoming severely burned.

Therefore, Truman etc. have no blood on their hands and we can continue to honor them like the fine moral men they are.:rolleyes:

Amateur Prof. of History Slow&scared, I know my assignment is late. I promise to get it done soon. . .

Seriously, while i think that RCJohn and others here are not bad or immoral people by any stretch, remarks like "So a bunch of civilians died... tough shit" belie a moral relativity that is scary. If killing of civilians is justifiable, then why all the controversy over 9/11? Or Kosovo, or the Holocost?

Just because our adversary was inhuman, doesn't mean that we have to be.

Whatever. I'm not sure that anyone's mind will change, but here is an interesting quote:

In a Newsweek interview, Eisenhower again recalled the meeting with Stimson:

"...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

- Ike on Ike, Newsweek, 11/11/63 as posted at http://www.doug-long.com/quotes.htm

Rodger

7. mad brad

mad brad Guest

dave, 60 guys and 60 cases of guiness doesn't count. :D i mean the "low profile". sure, i'd love to still be kicking ass as a nation. but stay out of the bullshit when people can't govern themselves.

did notice that you chopped canada out of that remark though. :D

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

:D cry me a river nelly. did we get a flyer on 9-11? i defer you to my stone tools remark.

you wanna make an omelet? you gotta break an egg. :p

9. Shyster d'Oil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

Bad pun!!!

But i agree with your sentiments: Smart bombs good!! I would only add: A-bombs bad!! :D

And hey, the Cannucks had more killed in in WWI than we did.

Rodger

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

well yeah. not picking up a gun and fighting will get you killed. :D

seriously, the fact that we were the first to use the a-bomb is a blessing to the world don't you think? what if germany was? at least america used it, showed what it could do. and stockpiled the shit out of them to dter anyone else who might. it was fate if you ask me.

11. Shyster d'Oil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

Can you imagine if Hitler had teh bomb?

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, didn't notice I left Denmark out of my statement. :D

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

no, we prolly wouldn't be here to imagine.

14. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be Fosters...not Guiness??? Unless they brought their Irish cousins to the fight. :D

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:eek: dickheads to the left of me. dickheads to the right.

what i meant was, did we get flyers when the germans bombed pearl harbor?

16. Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

Consider this:

1. And where was Eisenhower when it was all happening? In Great Britain. You think he was briefed? Maybe. Probably not.

2. Eisenhower was a REPUBLICAN. Truman was a DEMOCRAT. Adlai Stevenson was Truman's hand-picked successor to the Democrat throne. Eisenhower won the election by casting aspersions on everything the Democrats had ever done, including dropping The Bomb.

3. Stimson was widely regarded as the guy who pushed Truman into using The Bomb, even though Truman probably didn't need much pushing. Stimson served under both Republican and Democrat presidents during his career, but he was a confirmed Democrat and a bit of a Soviet sympathizer (though not a Communist).

So my point is this: Eisenhower wasn't involved in the initial decision, and his later comments were partisan and politically motivated.

17. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I think they're getting to you. :D :D :D

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

that was a partial rip-off of the movie "stripes". and you know dat fool. :D

19. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Be berry, berry quite, we're trolling for Rodger

No, but it will certainly be interesting when North Korea does!

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And where were the Swiss!?!? Eating holy cheese and making knives with 52 different attachments!
    I have half a mind to take my money out of my accounts. :D