1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

riding mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by barnacle bill, Apr 30, 2015.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

This may have been covered, I just read the OP and went with it, but I have a Zero turn Cub Cadet I series that is a lawn tractor, but still does zero turn. Best of both worlds. If no one has mentioned Cub Cadet's I series: check them out. http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gallery_10051_14101_43276_16200_600000_-1_image

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: You are seriously upset aren't you?

I did look, so far no luck on a max slope listing in my owners manual.

Instead of a low end clinometer how about a level with a 45 degree bubble setup? Or is that too inaccurate too? :D

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Nope, more amused by ignorance. If the clinometer doesn't have a good sighting device, nor a means for offset correction (your eye level is not the ground level) you get error. Sometimes lots of error.

A mower operating a 40 degree slope is a bit like an RC51 doing 200+ mph. The Beeb had no problem dispelling the second myth, but seems to be struggling with the first, in no small part due to your claims, but please, carry on.

4. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'm just going to put this here and let it simmer for a bit: :crackup:

5. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Yep, you better have toe boards on a 12/12 pitch roof, it's a lot steeper than you think.

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

This thread rate 5 out of 5 buckets of IDGAF.

Seriously, y'all are the most boring motorbike guys on the planet.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You don't need a clinometer. Just get a level, put a mark 12" in from the end and measure straight down from the mark while holding the level, perfectly level.

I will say, I've always thought a 50% slope was equal to a 45 degree angle/slope. Measured from flat, level surfaces. 100% slope being a 90 degree angle, or perfectly vertical. Or plumb in my wheel house.

8. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

About 3.25 seconds of googlefu turned up this: most riding mowers are rated at not more than 15 degree slope.
    30 does indeed look like quite a slope to me - more than I'd want to attempt sideways.

Attached Files:

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thank you for your valued addition to the topic.

10. dsapsis

That picture is of a purpose built slope mower not a typical riding mower, and even in the picture, the line is not parallel with the wheels indicating to me its slightly less than 30 degrees.

D'Oil, don't you have some jury summons to work on? I'm sick at home and I like geomorphology. Sue me.

You guys keep thinking you can jury-rig up a homegrown clinometer that is accurate and precise. More humor.

11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Most lawnmower engines are ok to around 25 degrees from level. That is because more then that and the oil pickup can suck air

12. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I knew you would have a snarky response. :D

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I do snark well.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

What about if it's on a conveyor?

Will it mow the clouds?....

15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

No, that is a picture of a standard 4 wheel drive ventatrac with a front mount mower attachment. Not a slope mower

16. dsapsis

Ventrac calls it a slope mower: http://ventrac.com/advantages/slopemower/

In any event, it would appear to be the design with the highest slope range for a riding mower. I did find the remote controlled units to be pretty badass, with some claims to go to 60 degrees. I would think it would take a remarkably skilled user to not flip it on anything close to that kind of grade.

17. backcountryme

The Ventrac isn't exactly a slope mower. It is built to be a multi use mower. It will handle higher slopes then most conventional mowers. But you still have the engine as a major factor in overall slope capabilities on the mower. I am a bit concerned about Ventrac's claim of 30 degree operations. Not because the machine can't handle it. After seeing them I truly believe it will do it. But the engines in them will not survive at over 25 degrees of angle. I don't know how Ventrac can make those claims and still get any kind of warranty on the engines. I know that if an end user is running a Kohler at over 25 degrees from level they can void the warranty. Kohler is pretty good on the first claim, but if you do it again and try to claim it again then you most likely will be SOL. Also on the Ventrac, if you think the pricing that I was talking about on a Ferris is high, you should see what a Ventrac goes for. Even I choked a little when a dealer told me how much they cost.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I find it hard to believe that as much as those mowers cost... they dont have a swivel on the oil pickups or some kind of isolated sump to guarantee oil feed?

19. backcountryme

Nope. They are a wet sump engine. And how would you control the swivel in the pickup? That would be pretty hard to do.

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So, while cutting the ditch tonight, I parked on the angle and grabbed out the iPad and used the inclinometer app, and it reads 30deg. Now I know there can be error in the app so I take that into account. When I first stated the ditch angle, I said 35-40deg. Guess I was wrong.:eek:

Attached Files: