1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

riding mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by barnacle bill, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - all of you talking percent. Percent of what? 10% equals an inch of rise per every ten inches of forward travel?

If so then duh, 40% is something like 22 degrees which is way steep - hence everyone talking about degrees of slope not percentage of slope (although there may have been a typo somewhere). Either way I'm talking degrees which is why I keep spelling it out and 45 degrees is if I remember correctly is a 100% grade. 1 to 1 ratio.

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Technically it is level or plump. Ha

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do if they're comparing 45% to 45 degrees when bitching about what I said :D

4. backcountryme

Percentage from vertical?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm assuming the normal contractor thing. Length divided by height so actually percent from flat which works for my 45 degrees but if you're calling flat 0 degrees and a wall 90 degrees it can get goofy talking to someone looking at the wall being 0 and the floor being 90 :D

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I misspoke -- I meant to say 40 degrees, which was the original assertion of mowing slope. 40 degrees translates to roughly 84% slope.

I don't think you can find a lot of stable 45 degree grass hillslopes -- its going to slump and erode. If there were and you were standing on it, you would likely end up at the bottom of the hill on your first step --and I can guarantee you wouldn't be standing vertically, you'd be clinging your fingernails into the turf to hold yourself from falling. I have worked on slopes up to 80 percent (about 37 degrees) and have taken tumbles even while wearing good logging boots -- it is very cliff-like. A mower would have no chance on that type of slope.

Typical guidelines for mowing slope are 15-20 degree maximum, which translates to 25-36 percent. I've seen dozers work to about 50 percent, but only doing kamikaze firelines, and with no lateral yawl. I'd believe a mower on 40 percent slope. Above that is fantasy. YMMV.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got one about 45 degrees and yep, it's eroding :D

40 degrees would suck but I've seen a lot of ditches that steep and they do get mowed with riding mowers, not a long slope though which I'm sure helps a lot.

Back to percentages - "I'd believe a mower on 40 percent slope." I wouldn't (to me as I said, 40% equals something like 22 degrees - way steep) :D

8. backcountryme

If it is really steep you are supposed to go up and down, not side to side.

9. dsapsis

So...is 22 degrees steeper than 40 degrees? Is "way steep" doable, and then double "way steep" still doable?

I am pretty sure you don't have the skill of estimating slope steepness visually. It takes a long time of measurement and calibration. I say this after decades of experience with similarly non-trained people, with virtually everyone overestimating slope significantly.

If someone can show me a riding mower actively navigating a proven 40 degree slope I will send $100 to the AFF. If you can show me a video of yourself walking across a 40 degree slope without ending up a ball of banged up flesh at the bottom, I will eat my hat (I've seen you, and am confident you couldn't traverse a 40 degree slope. No offense.)

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, 22 degrees is way steeper than 45 degrees. About twice :crackup: Again though - are you talking flat is 0 or a plumb wall is zero? If the flat is zero then 22 degrees is half as steep.

You seriously can't guess pretty closely about a 1:1 slope? I'm not talking estimating specific degrees but I can tell the difference between something at 0, 45 or 90 and tell if it's between those three points.

I'll take your bet - but for me flat is 0 degrees and straight up and down is 90 degrees. 40 degrees is not that steep.

Here - so we are on the same page - use this chart - http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/slope-degrees-gradient-grade-d_1562.html

X axis is 0 degrees, Y axis is 90 degrees. I really think we're saying the same thing you're just looking at it backwards from what I am.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I do, always been overly afraid of flipping a mower (or ATV or Jeep or whatever). Hate going across hills.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTW, a proper slice of pie is only cut at either a 45 degree angle or if I'm at home and Evelyne isn't watching a 90 degree angle :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. dsapsis

You have the degrees part correct and the slope percent wrong (even though you described it correctly in a previous post, and that is how it is portrayed in your linked table). Slope percent, also known as grade, or gradient, is rise over run, or Arctan of degree slope. 20% slope is half as steep as 40% slope. Everytime. No one ever measures gradient slope from vertical.

I am talking about estimating actual terrain. It isn't as simple as looking at a board tilted up against a vertical wall. Its not as simple as sticking an Ipad on the ground and posting an upside down picture and claiming two wildly divergent numbers. Again, I have a bit of experience doing this. If you think you can walk across a 40 degree slope without using your hands, you have no idea what slopes are like. Find a forester and borrow his clinometer, learn to use it, and get back to me. Or just go on thinking you know slopes and mowers can traverse 40 degree slopes. Your call.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

45 degree angle, 12" rise in 12" run, is 100% slope and it is definitely steep. Just ask any roofer. You might be able to do it with a riding mower, but then again you can use a push mower as a hedge trimmer too. It just isn't recommended. When we have slopes that steep, we use a slope mower unless it is a small differential from to to bottom of slope.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I posted a video of last month's speed skiing world record in the YouTube thread. That slope was in the 90% range. Slightly less than 45°. I'd pay to see some of you crackheads drive a lawnmower on that. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got ya and agree then - however this is the BBS so I won't assume anything about peoples thinking on here :D

I never said traverse I won't traverse much steeper than 30 degrees or so, I'm a pussy.

And I have a clinometer somewhere from one of the Jeeps. Don't need one from a forester (seriously??) or instructions on how to use it (again, seriously??). I still don't find an issue with knowing where true vertical is (plumb line helps id you need it) and being able to tell where halfway from that to flat is. But I get it, you know lots of people who get thrown off by the slope of whatever they're on, makes sense. Visual perceptions do that to people.

Anyway. 40 degree slope. Let me find one and see what I can do. I'm too old and fat for roofs so that's out.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The funny part of all the people stressing over the slope is what was being talked about was a ditch. Running a mower up a 40 degree or 45 or 50 or whatever isn't that hard over a short distance from the bottom to the top of a ditch as long as you don't have a lip on it to flip you backwards. Traversing it would be stupid sure :D

18. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

degree of steepness

well my dog can run straight up a tree to a certain degree but then she falls right off but every once in a while she'll snags a squirrel . but what about oil flow to the engine on those steep slopes? looks like the sump pump would cavitate and the engine lose oil pressure? b bill and darethea

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't bother me as I'd never do anything that steep for long enough to matter. Seen it cause issues in bikes doing wheelies for too long and even in bikes cornering too long.

20. dsapsis

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to miscalculate slope, or how shitty low-end clinometers work, but for a guy like yourself, with the 160 IQ and all, I'm sure you could handle it. You go on thinking a mower can work a 40% slope, despite the fact that purpose built slope mowers rate at 30 degrees max. The AFF beckons.