1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

riding mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by barnacle bill, Apr 30, 2015.

1. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

I think I am in the market for a new riding mower. I don't think I want a zer0 turn mower but another lawn tractor type. I have been mowing with my yamaha mower for 25 yrs on the same belt and original spark plug . I usually put about 50-75 hrs on it every season or there abouts.but the tires are shot and it's only a 38 inch cut. I'm thinking something in a V twin with about a 48 inch cut ( I have some pretty technical stuff to mow) . I'm thinking maybe husquavana with the kawasaki engine a YTH18K46 model. I kow I'm probably not going to get the same milage I've gotten with the yamaha ( hell I won't live that long) but what R you guys mowing with? besides a herd of sheep or goats? thanks, bill and darethea

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

simplicity for the win! full floating deck for no scalping, full rear rollers on deck, for the striping of the lawn in any pattern you want. just mowed last night, Broome would be proud, 48" uniform stripes. I even make it look like I mow through the cables, trees and poles. :D Ski

Attached Files:

3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Don't rule out zero turn unless you have tried one and didn't like it. I bought a dealer demo Exmark 52" cut about 10 years ago and love it. Cut my mowing time over 40% and so easy to get close to stuff it cut my weed eater time as well.

Don't consider any of the cheaper zero turns that use stamped frames, etc. Those are for people with flat residential type lawns and they won't take the abuse of hills, ruts and stuff that we've got out in the country.

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

If you decide to get rid of the yamaha for a song, I have a 15 year old looking to expand his business and might be interested in it...

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Grew up with a wheel horse mower, used for 25+ years, but it finally died a couple years ago. Replaced with a Cub Cadet riding mower. My dad's choice, his lawn, his mower, but I like it when I use it. My favorite feature has been the foot pedal activation of fwd/reverse. You can instantly switch going forward to backing up, so you can go into tighter spot without having to stop, change gears, and then back out the clutch. With the Cub Cadet, you just ride in, push the pedal back and out you go. Quick and easy.

The biggest reason for not picking zero-turn was hearing all of the feedback about their problems on hills, and in TN, we're nothing but hills.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've got no complaints about my 50" Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine. I've had it 10 years with zero problems.

I agree on the zero turn...all my neighbors have them and they just don't look enjoyable. If I want to drive a skid steer I'll buy a Bobcat.

7. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

What makes it faster than any other mower with same size deck?

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd be concerned about the turning radius of a 48" if I had "technical stuff" and 48" might lead to more scalping or less uniform cut heights if the ground undulates. There's got to be specs out there for turn radii, etc.
    New tires might be the best answer. At any rate, it's certainly less expensive than a new mower.

I have a cheap($1000) 17.5hp/42" Ariens that's been beaten to within inches of death. It's still tickin' but I've repaired/replaced rotor shaft housings a few times, not to mention blades. In its defense, I run over everything...like a BushHog. I don't have what one might call a yard...it's more of a cleared woodland with room for grass. Not yet a place for which I would spend real money on a mower.

9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Maneuverability in the case of where I mow. Traditional riders wouldn't turn as tight around some of the obstacles I mow and when required to back up, etc. I find it much quicker. When mowing the open area I have to mow, being able to pinpoint turn at the end of each pass and go right back to mowing saves time (I mow 3 acres total). Ground speed in the open areas is also greater than the big Craftsman tractor I used to mow with before getting this so that also cuts time.

On the comments I've seen about mowing hills, once I got used to it I found it more stable than any tractor style I've mowed with previously.

10. barnacle bill

cub cadet

I looked at those and consumer reports was impressed with their 2014 do over fro the 2015 model year. CR said they all had kawasaki engines but the specs say Kohler is standard . still liked the way they looked. I'm not mowing that much area and it's irregular but I don't clip it as close as a golf course either.. when I do the lots I get the ford tractor out. thanks for the input guys . guess I'm keeping the old yamaha for a back up mower. bill

11. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

This, plus the one I have has full independent suspension, so 90% of the time I am actually mowing at 10 mph. I only have to slow down for the really rough parts. And when you are making a lot of passes, being able to pivot around the inside wheel and be perfectly lined up for the next pass in 3 seconds saves a lot of time. The smaller the area being mowed and the fewer the obstacles, the less time will be saved, but then you can start getting into commercial walk behind territory.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm happy with my Deere 3 series. Kawasaki air cooled motor. 48 inch floating deck. Can get the deck off for cleaning in about 3 minutes which is nice.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

i got me a husky 52" with a 26 HP kohler engine.

cuts my 1.75 a in less than an hour, with bushes to maneuver around, trees, inclines, fence...

like it so far.

14. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Time on a regular riding mower is time wasted. I went from a 52" 18hp conventional Cub to a 60" 23hp Toro commercial zero turn and cut my mowing time in about half. Both have Kohler engines, which is my only regret on the Toro. The Kohler in the Cub blew main seals and head gaskets, the one in the Toro blew some stupid breather gasket last year that shot high-pressure oil all over the exhaust header, lucky it didn't burn to the ground.

15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

A decent ZTR is so expensive I just pay someone to mow. It will never come close to breaking even. Plus I don't have to mow. Did I mention that with my plan I don't have to mow? :D

16. barnacle bill

the plan

Steve that is one smart plan you devised. :clap: bill

17. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

This and RAW SPEED! I used to mow with an Exmark Lazer Z, 60" deck. The thing could mow faster than I could run! Never missed a blade. It was a great mower.

18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Damn. I had that exact mower for the past 2 1/2 yrs. Just sold it 2 mos. Ago. To Kris Wall's old neighbor (small world).
    It worked perfect for me on our flat, Florida lawn. I was pleasantly surprised with the turning radius as well, figured all conventional ones sucked...:up:

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Speaking of speed...

[​IMG]

20. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

My husqvarna has been amazing. I have definitely abused it and it keeps on going no issues. I would highly recommend the brand.